WNEP new graphics? Soon to be.

news89

Could "The News Station" be getting the Tribune graphics? Came across this last thanks to a Facebook friend. Could this mean the end of MCTW esque theme sure sounds like it? First thing I thought of was WGNO.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not necessarily in terms of music, but it does demonstrate that for the ABC stations in the group (WNEP, WGNO, and WQAD), this is a viable option for them (and not just the CBS stations) should they choose to implement new graphics in the future.

Still waiting on how Tribune handles its NBC affiliates (WHO-TV and KFOR) graphics-wise.

I'm thinking either WQAD or WGNO. WNEP's graphics still hold up after 5(?) years. Among the ABC stations WQAD is the one that needs new graphics the most. The ABC logo could easily be replaced with an 8 if necessary

Could "The News Station" be getting the Tribune graphics? Came across this last thanks to a Facebook friend. Could this mean the end of MCTW esque theme sure sounds like it? First thing I thought of was WGNO.

16 ... WNEP ... THE NEEEEWWWWWSSSSSSSSS STATION!!

Yes. Bring this to WNEP. But keep the MCTYW theme.

-- Matt

That reminds me of Raycom's previous graphics package.

I'm going to be the strawman here, and I'm sure many people are going to get out the pitchforks and come marching down here to Tidewater to tar and feather me for this, but...

Bring it on, Moving Forward and all.

The Cliff Schwarz theme is kind of a worn-out novelty. MCTYW as a 90's dance track? Cool. 22 years of the same 90's dance track with no updates whatsoever?

Stale.

Frankly I would be outright disappointed if they kept their music unchanged.

And while we're on that note, this would be a great opportunity to do a lot of much-needed updates - maybe they could even tweak the logo (circle 16 to match the new graphics, perhaps?). The only things they do need to leave alone are the branding and the slogan - those are timeless. A remix of a theme that was cool for its time but screams "dated" now is not.

I'm thinking either WQAD or WGNO. WNEP's graphics still hold up after 5(?) years. Among the ABC stations WQAD is the one that needs new graphics the most. The ABC logo could easily be replaced with an 8 if necessary

One year ago in January 2015, WNEP refreshed their graphics. In fact one person called the station "you bunch of jerks" for changing the graphics.

One year ago in January 2015, WNEP refreshed their graphics. In fact one person called the station "you bunch of jerks" for changing the graphics.

Lol, and another caller complained to them about still using MCTYW. I needed a good laugh today.

Is that a normal segment that WNEP shows on air?

Looks like it. There's a section on their website for it.

http://wnep.com/category/exclusives/talkback/

I think WNEP has one of the most unique (and older) populations of anywhere.

PA in general tends to be older than the rest of the country demographics wise. This rings especially true in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre market.

• 11 months later...

They got the graphics...And kept the longtime music. Wonderful. :)

My only issue is the bug. Its weird without the "WNEP" wording on the bottom.

Enjoy this while you can. Should the Sinclair deal goes through, its goodbye to this and the music.

Oh, for heaven's sake...that music should have been gone ten years ago.

So much for my hopes that the Tribune graphics would herald a change. Maybe Sinclair will be nice and put the tired 90s throwback to pasture.

The Cliff Schwarz variant of MCTYW does not have the benefit of anything near a timeless sound, I'm afraid. It's also *too long* for modern opens — a complaint that could be applied to the musical signature of the package.

Oh, for heaven's sake...that music should have been gone ten years ago.

So much for my hopes that the Tribune graphics would herald a change. Maybe Sinclair will be nice and put the tired 90s throwback to pasture.

I'm glad 16ABC kept #TheTheme the same way 6ABC kept the #TheTheme... No offense.

I do like the new graphics, and I know I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for saying this, but someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, take the disc of MCTYW out and destroy it. I don't care what package they go with just something other than that cheesy, dated "package"... I'm also talking to you to WPVI...

The original may not be popular with all, but it has nostalgia on it's side. WPVI has earned the right to use it as long as they want. It's as much a part of their identity as the '6' and Jim Gardner. On the other hand, the piece of crap WNEP uses needs to die. I could even forgive it if it fit the open, but the way they shoehorned it into these graphics just doesn't work.

Archived