Jump to content

International Out and About


TheRolyPoly
 Share

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, ED2 said:

 

I'm not counting on Bell to build local newsrooms across Quebec for V.

 

I reckon they'll start with a national (re: provincial) news operation out of Montreal (at CTV Montreal?), a parliamentary bureau in Ottawa using CTV's resources, stringers for regional Quebec, and dub any CTV News stories from across the country in French. 

 

Bell would probably have bigger issues to take care of before they get to news. Does anyone think a re-naming of the network might be in the works?

 

I could see them literally take the green triangle 'V' from the CTV logo and use that as the logo.

 

As for the news, you are correct.  Currently, they offer a program called 'NVL'.  Here's the description from their website (translated from French) "News in a dynamic newsletter that offers you a different and effective way to keep you informed about local and national news."

The program itself is a 30-minute show broadcast twice a day with news read by an unseen announcer with music underneath.  They seem to have some videographers - the show is produced out of house by a company called Attraction Images.

 

At one point, the news output was produced by staff at a company called '@DN5' - they produced 5-minute inserts.  They were also a company that supplied news and advertising content to out-of-home locations such as malls and other publicly-displayed screen so this is a step up.  They did also do local content but that seems to be gone now.

 

 

V did have a morning program previously but now it seems to be filled with 3 and a half hours of nature scenes, or as it's known "slow TV"

 

https://noovo.ca/articles/5-raisons-dintegrer-la-slow-tv-a-votre-vie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is the Corporation de RTVE (Radio y Television Espanola) in trouble?

 

Spain's public broadcaster (La 1, La 2, Canal 24h, Teledeporte y Clan + Radio Nacional, Radio Clasica, Radio 3, Radio 4, Radio 5 y Radio Exterior) is seemingly running out of money, due to a lack of a budget from the Spanish government (which owns RTVE) and also because of political instability (literarry. Catch the podcast "Que?" from El Pais, Spain's national newspaper. Really good btw.). Not to mention, it has suffered its lowest ratings in history.

 

Right now, RTVE doesn't have the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games rights and according to the article, La 2 Noticias may come to an end as a result.

 

https://advanced-television.com/2019/07/22/rtve-hindered-by-lack-of-funds/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Is the Corporation de RTVE (Radio y Television Espanola) in trouble?

 

Spain's public broadcaster (La 1, La 2, Canal 24h, Teledeporte y Clan + Radio Nacional, Radio Clasica, Radio 3, Radio 4, Radio 5 y Radio Exterior) is seemingly running out of money, due to a lack of a budget from the Spanish government (which owns RTVE) and also because of political instability (literarry. Catch the podcast "Que?" from El Pais, Spain's national newspaper. Really good btw.). Not to mention, it has suffered its lowest ratings in history.

 

Right now, RTVE doesn't have the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games rights and according to the article, La 2 Noticias may come to an end as a result.

 

https://advanced-television.com/2019/07/22/rtve-hindered-by-lack-of-funds/

I think that one of the reasons behind this crisis is the lack of advertisement (RTVE removed them in 2010). There are other public broadcasters around the world that survived without placing ads throughout their schedules, such as ABC in Australia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, onthesea said:

I think that one of the reasons behind this crisis is the lack of advertisement (RTVE removed them in 2010). There are other public broadcasters around the world that survived without placing ads throughout their schedules, such as ABC in Australia.

The problem that is plaguing RTVE is the same problem that plagues PBS: a lack of money from the government. Difference is that the PBS member stations can make up for it via pledge drives.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NEOMatrix said:

The problem that is plaguing RTVE is the same problem that plagues PBS: a lack of money from the government. Difference is that the PBS member stations can make up for it via pledge drives.

 

RTVE usually has money because its owned by the Spainsh government. However, right now, they can't give RTVE any money right now because they government right now is even in fiasco. For god sakes, they currently have an acting prime minister right now and don't even have a government to sorta say. Without a functioning government, RTVE will not receive a budget and therefore, probably suffer.

 

Those that are probably thinking they're like, yes RTVE is suffering, are the four other (commercial) broadcasters...  Antena 3, Cuatro, Telecinco y LaSexta (A3 and LS are owned by Atresmedia while C and TC are owned by Mediaset Espana).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Antena 3... they're kicking ass right now. More people watch them for news than Telediario (La 1), La 2 Noticias (La 2), Noticias Cuatro (Cuatro), Informativos Telecinco (Telecinco) and LaSexta Noticias (LaSexta).

 

Now, Antena 3 Noticias is home to one of Spain's top 10 most visited websites. 24.5 million unique visitors to Antena3.com/Noticias.

 

DISCLAIMER: I'm a massive fan of Antena 3 Noticias. I prefer them over Telediario in a close battle.

 

https://www.antena3.com/noticias/cultura/record-historico-de-atresmedia-en-internet-al-los-245-millones-de-visitantes-unicos_201908215d5d17200cf29f7bb64bef95.html

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Shaye Ganam, a morning news anchor on Global TV Edmonton, is leaving his post after 21 years. He is moving to the company's radio division to host the morning show on 630 CHED. Global TV Edmonton's morning news is the #1 show in its timeslot, at one point beating the competition with a margin of 8 to 1. 

 

https://globalnews.ca/news/5831582/shaye-ganam-farewell/?utm_expid=.kz0UD5JkQOCo6yMqxGqECg.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fglobalnews.ca%2Fedmonton%2F

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's over for Cayman 27 in the Cayman Islands. It signed off today, meaning the end of independent broadcast TV on the islands.

 

The director of Hurley's TV Ltd. cited the station's financial struggles and the refusal of regulator OfReg to require cable companies to pay a mandatory fee in order to fulfill their own local content requirements. Earlier this year, the station was told by OfReg that it had years of unpaid fees and ordered to pay up by September 1 or lose its license.

 

Cayman 27 would be best known for TVNTers as a jcbD client that brought Brave New World (!) back into regular use.

 

The news anchor is very very nervous — that clicking sound you hear is her hand on the mouse!

 

 

This is the station's final broadcast:

 

https://www.facebook.com/cayman27/videos/2608074222569978/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Samantha said:

It's over for Cayman 27 in the Cayman Islands. It signed off today, meaning the end of independent broadcast TV on the islands.

 

The director of Hurley's TV Ltd. cited the station's financial struggles and the refusal of regulator OfReg to require cable companies to pay a mandatory fee in order to fulfill their own local content requirements. Earlier this year, the station was told by OfReg that it had years of unpaid fees and ordered to pay up by September 1 or lose its license.

 

Cayman 27 would be best known for TVNTers as a jcbD client that brought Brave New World (!) back into regular use.

 

The news anchor is very very nervous — that clicking sound you hear is her hand on the mouse!

 

 

This is the station's final broadcast:

 

https://www.facebook.com/cayman27/videos/2608074222569978/

Is it possible she was operating the prompter?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Brazil's Record TV, just one year after they last renovated their news set, they decided to tear it down, remove the working newsroom, since it was pretty empty during primetime and build an entirely new set for their flagship newscast, Jornal da Record, which launched last night, with the addition of four short bulletins throughout the day, called Jornal da Record 24 Horas.

Here's how the flagship 9:30pm BRT newscast looks like:

 

The first-ever Jornal da Record 24 Horas bulletin (0:30am BRT edition - JR 24H also has bulletins at 11:40am, 4:45pm and 5:45pm):

 

And how JR used to look like:

 

And the close from the temporary green-screen set, last Friday:

 

Edited by Viakenny
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This IS a shock but we're now seeing this weeks later after the sudden and unexpected announcement... CFRN Edmonton's Daryl McIntrye has retired.

 

Apparently, nobody inside the newsroom knew that at 10 a.m. on Aug. 27th, McIntrye would announce then that he'll be retiring after 33 years after CFRN and a 36 year career overall.

 

I didn't see this coming. I thought he would stay there until he reached at least 35 at CFRN.

 

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/how-do-you-tell-a-36-year-story-in-five-minutes-you-can-t-but-i-tried-1.4592563

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2019 at 1:10 AM, TheRolyPoly said:

This IS a shock but we're now seeing this weeks later after the sudden and unexpected announcement... CFRN Edmonton's Daryl McIntrye has retired.

 

Apparently, nobody inside the newsroom knew that at 10 a.m. on Aug. 27th, McIntrye would announce then that he'll be retiring after 33 years after CFRN and a 36 year career overall.

 

I didn't see this coming. I thought he would stay there until he reached at least 35 at CFRN.

 

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/how-do-you-tell-a-36-year-story-in-five-minutes-you-can-t-but-i-tried-1.4592563

 

He didn't retire. He was forced to take a buyout. He mentioned on air that he wasn't retiring, but that he was leaving CFRN/CTV Edmonton. This Edmonton Journal article also mentions it. I am getting the sense from his interviews that he really didn't want to leave yet. It really sucks he didn't leave on his own terms, but he had a lovely send off on air. Cool to see clips from the Eyewitness News era. 

 

I am also wondering if CTV will also target other long-serving anchors like Ken Shaw (CFTO Toronto), Mutsumi Takahashi (CFCF Montreal), Steve Murphy (ATV Maritimes), or Gord Leclerc (CKY Winnipeg) in order to cut their budgets. 

 

BTW, over at Global Edmonton, Gord Steinke has been anchoring the evening news for about 27 years. He's the last of the old-school news anchors still left in Edmonton. 

Edited by ED2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't know if it was mentioned before but apparently since this past january, KBS News 9, the premier nightly newscast for the South Korean based service, changed its popular signature tune after 26 years. Its new theme debuted New Years' day. 

 

 1st ('92) theme

 

 

2008 Update (thru 12/31/18)

 

2019 New theme + New graphics. The new theme is quite 'CBS Evening News'-ish, especially toward the end.

 

Don't fret though, the aforementioned old theme ACTUALLY got an update, but it seems like it's used as a bumper for the newscast. At 0:00, 0:33 + 0:49.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CTV’s Your Morning is now airing on CTV stations in Western Canada on weekdays.

 

The show now broadcasts live at 3 AM PT/5 AM CT, right before the local CTV Morning Live broadcasts.

 

This means, for example:

Viewers watching CTV Winnipeg will see only the first hour of Your Morning at 5 AM CT, followed by CTVML Winnipeg from 6-9 AM CT

 

Viewers watching CTV Edmonton will see the first 1.5 hours of Your Morning at 4 AM MT, followed by CTVML Edmonton from 5:30-9 AM MT.

 

Viewers watching CTV Vancouver will see a majority of Your Morning (2.5 hours) starting at 3 AM PT, with the last half hour being pre-empted for CTVML Vancouver at 5:30 AM PT.

 

The eastern CTV stations (Toronto, Kitchener, Ottawa, Montreal, Atlantic) continues to air Your Morning in its entirety from 6-9 AM ET/7-10 AM AT, with local cut-ins at :25 and :55.

Edited by ED2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ED2 said:

Viewers watching CTV Vancouver will see a majority of Your Morning (2.5 hours) starting at 3 AM PT, with the last half hour being pre-empted for CTVML Vancouver at 5:30 AM PT.

2 hours and 30 minutes of national news in addition to their 3 hours and 30 minutes of local news? 😲

 

A "flagship" in a "flagship market" could only dream of those numbers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/15/2019 at 10:28 AM, ED2 said:

 

He didn't retire. He was forced to take a buyout. He mentioned on air that he wasn't retiring, but that he was leaving CFRN/CTV Edmonton. This Edmonton Journal article also mentions it. I am getting the sense from his interviews that he really didn't want to leave yet. It really sucks he didn't leave on his own terms, but he had a lovely send off on air. Cool to see clips from the Eyewitness News era. 

 

I am also wondering if CTV will also target other long-serving anchors like Ken Shaw (CFTO Toronto), Mutsumi Takahashi (CFCF Montreal), Steve Murphy (ATV Maritimes), or Gord Leclerc (CKY Winnipeg) in order to cut their budgets. 

 

BTW, over at Global Edmonton, Gord Steinke has been anchoring the evening news for about 27 years. He's the last of the old-school news anchors still left in Edmonton. 

 

Christine Bentley was also fired from CTV Toronto. She mentioned it during an interview promoting her show with Kate Wheeler.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Journalist said:

2 hours and 30 minutes of national news in addition to their 3 hours and 30 minutes of local news? 😲

 

A "flagship" in a "flagship market" could only dream of those numbers.

 

I think CTV Toronto should simulcast CP24 at 5 AM right before Your Morning. They're already doing that at 5 PM. Why waste that time on paid programming or last night’s news

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2019 at 2:47 PM, ED2 said:

 

Why waste that time on paid programming or last night’s news

Probably to incentive people to subscribe to pay-TV with the sole purpose of watching CP24. Bell's whole "artificially inflating its value by moving key programs to pay television" schick is still alive and well; after all, it took them around six years to simulcast the MMVAs on CTV before it got the axe, and the CFL is still exclusive to TSN despite being on free to air television for 65 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.