International Out and About

TheRolyPoly

After seeing all threads started for different news about TV news or something else in Canada and for various countries, I thought of starting an international version of TVNT's popular "Out and About" thread and I wanna kick it off.

First up on this thread, Global's "16x9" has been cancelled by Corus. Liza Fromer has been let go and Carolyn Jarvis (16x9 host) becomes Chief Investigative Correspondent for Global News.

http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/acquisition/corus-cancels-globals-16x9/1004123322/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UTV Ireland will soon have a new owner... AGAIN. It went from UTV to ITV earlier this year and now its being sold to Liberty Global through Virgin Media. This will put UTV Ireland together with TV3, whom Liberty Global currently owns and took over TV3 earlier last year.

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/07/virgin-media-buys-utv-ireland-secures.html

• 3 weeks later...

Because of the Brexit ITV PLC which owns the Channel 3 Franchises for England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands has cut almost $33 million in overhead for their budget next year.

It's honestly too early to tell whether or no Brexit will cause significant financial troubles.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/global/u-k-broadcaster-itv-cut-costs-33-million-brexit-bites-1201824135/

• 1 month later...

Commercials are getting kicked out from CBC Radio 2 and ICI Musique, according to Northpine.

Commercials will no longer be airing on the CBC's two music networks after the CRTC denied permission to extend a condition of the networks' licenses allowing up to four minutes of national advertising per hour. The commercials had aired since 2013 on CBC Radio 2, which has stations in Winnipeg, Brandon, and Thunder Bay, and the French-language ICI Musique, which has a station in Winnipeg. While the CRTC found that the broadcast of commercials had not negatively affected commercial broadcasters or been disruptive to listeners, it decided that the CBC has not met its pledge to maintain its investment in radio. The networks' information-based networks, CBC Radio One and ICI Première, have been commercial-free since 1975, except for parliamentary advertising. CBC's TV channels air commercials just like other networks.

Today, franceinfo: launched at 8:00pm Paris time/2:00pm Washington time. It simulcasts the French version of France 24 overnights starting at 12:00 Midnight.

franceinfo: is owned by the Government of France which also owns France Televisions, France 24, Radio France, RFI and Institut national de l'audiovisel.

Sorry to triple post but...

We already heard that Peter Mansbridge is retiring from CBC News and The National next year. Now, another one is deciding to call it quits...

After 23 years at Sky News and 50 years total in broadcast journalism, Jeremy Thompson is retiring from Sky News: http://tvnewsroom.site/sky-news/sky-news-jeremy-thompson-retire-end-year-146127/

After the US Elections, he's gone from the network. He's the second high-profile anchor to announce he's leaving from the network after Eamonn Holmes announced last week he would step down from Sky News and from anchoring Sunrise after 11 years. He's gone by October 13th.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting developments happening at Global BC in Vancouver. Steve Darling and Randene Neill, both longtime anchors at the station and co-anchors of Global BC Morning News, are leaving within weeks of each other under different circumstances.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/randene-neill-announces-she-is-leaving-global-bc

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

For those who are wondering about why i>Tele in France has not been rebranded to CNews as of yet, there has apparently been a management strike between management and journalists. This information is according to the French version of Wikipedia which has better details of info and programming on French news networks, including BFM TV, i>Tele, LCI and Franceinfo, than the English versions.

It says that the rebrand to CNews will happen but at a later date. If you look at the planned "CNews" logo, its similar to the other Canal+ logos out there and its to make the name closer to the Canal+ group that still exists in France. They plan to use this logo once the rebrand happens, which is whenever the strike will end.

CNews_Logo.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After the acquisition of UTV Ireland by TV3 and Virgin Media for €10 million, UTV Ireland is expected to become female-orienated "be3" on Monday the 9th of January.

Also, a new "news hub" will debut called 3 News Ireland. That will launch on the same day and I'm not sure what that will mean, but apparently it will be for all three channels (TV3, 3e and be3) and it may mean more news but again, I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

According to CNN Commentary, CNNI's European mid-morning business show, CNN Money View with Nina Dos Santos, has been cancelled. A simulcast of New Day has been running in its place. CNN Commentary says it's only temporary. I really hope it is, as CNNI's offerings recently are starting to feel pretty slim with so much domestic content on it recently.

https://cnncommentary.com/2017/01/10/cnn-cancels-nina-dos-santos-show/

• 2 weeks later...

More CNNI business movements:

Starting tomorrow, CNN Money with Maggie Lake will broadcast from the NYSE.

Richard Quest gets a new show, "Quest Express," which will also come from the NYSE. This is in addition to Quest Means Business, which (as far as I can tell) will continue to come from the New Day studio later in the day.

Elder statesman of the Hong Kong bureau Andrew Stevens has left CNN. He had been at CNN for 18 years. His most recent title was CNN Money's Asia Pacific editor, though at the Hong Kong bureau's height, he was co-anchor of World News Asia, among other flagship CNN Asia shows. In the last few years, Hong Kong has been drastically reduced to being on air for only 45 minutes a day.

https://cnncommentary.com/2017/01/26/cnn-to-debut-new-show-at-new-york-stock-exchange/

• 2 weeks later...

New Zealand's TV3 ... I mean +HR=E, got a new name and branding.

Not many people seem to like it. I'm a little mixed, but their previous logo looked a bit dated and serious. This feels energetic and young, but the logo is a little off.

I'm not too crazy about it. It was better when it was TV3.

• 3 months later...

It looks like if Network Ten (Australia) doesn't get their act together, the network will sunk its ship and fall over.

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4661911.htm

They are in serious financial trouble. Without ways to repay, Network Ten could be forced off-air for good either late this year or next year.

This has happened time and time again. They will come back - like they always do. My tip is they will reinvent themselves - again - and probably merge their news operations with FOXTEL to cut costs.

• Like 2

Where they are healthy is in morning programming ('Studio 10' has built an audience from nothing, and with no lead in, to beat Nine's 'Today Extra' on occasions). Their early evening doesn't set the world on fire, but if you look at demos, their key hour of 'The Project' from 6.30 to 7.30 does very well, and that show is something that is always talked about as likely being copied by other networks (because it attracts exactly the right type of audience). In fact, they just exported the show to New Zealand, where they make their own version.

In prime time, Ten has some big hits and some mild hits and then a lot of not much. Masterchef, Have You Been Paying Attention and Gogglebox all win their time slots. I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here is not as huge, but it's still a hit.

The strength of those shows - particularly the game show HYBPA and Gogglebox - is that they have Ten stamped all over them.. they are very funny and cheap and irreverent (like a Japanese panel comedy game show) and the show just built and built from such a low base, but Ten stuck with it. And, now, in this era of downloads and streams and TV dying, these topical, funny, news-related comedy shows are proving to be what young people like to watch and Tweet about at the same time. So there is still hope for Ten.

As for news, Ten is not in the same league as Seven and Nine, but, in reality, it abdicated this responsibility when it took its news to 5PM in 1992. For now, Eyewitness News is STILL their highest-rating program on many nights (or second-highest after another news program, The Project 7PM). The dilemma for Ten is if they cut their news operation further, they risk a massive drop in their 5-6PM audience. For example, a networked newscast from SKY (as some have speculated) would be a disaster. They will have to come up with a very good plan to both save money and keep their news strong in the early evening.

Here is an example of 'Studio 10' changing gears and going into Breaking News mode for daytime coverage of the Manchester Bombing:

• Like 3