BFM TV is expanding...

TheRolyPoly

As I mentioned before in the chat box, BFM TV is expanding. It has already done so with BFM Sport, a continuous sports news channel, having launched on June 10th and coming soon, BFM Paris, the ONLY 24/7 local news channel in France and will cover local news from Paris for Parisians. Of course, this comes after having BFM TV in 2005 and BFM Business in 2010.

That's the main part that I wanted to mention from this story as it also talks about new sports channels from SFR. The story in French:

http://www.huffingtonpost.fr/2016/04/27/sfr-bfm-tnt-television-sport-paris-news-infos_n_9784498.html#

From BFM Sport page of BFM TV:

http://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/evenement/bfm-sport/

Nice to see another Francophile on here. It's really amazing to see how the cable news channels are expanding in France. France Télévisions is launching its own channel in the fall as well.

Personally, I don't watch much of the domestic French news channels, though I do like watching France 24 on a YouTube stream on my AppleTV everyday. And they, too are expanding — they're adding a Spanish service next year.

Nice to see another Francophile on here. It's really amazing to see how the cable news channels are expanding in France. France Télévisions is launching its own channel in the fall as well.

Personally, I don't watch much of the domestic French news channels, though I do like watching France 24 on a YouTube stream on my AppleTV everyday. And they, too are expanding — they're adding a Spanish service next year.

Well I'm not really much of a Francophile, but I'm trying to learn French at the moment and learn more and more about French media since I'm getting into it now, just like how I follow media from Canada, Ireland, UK, Australia, New Zealand and sometimes Spain and Colombia.

Yes, as I reported previously on this forum, France 24 is expanding to Spanish in 2017, something I'm excited for since I speak Spanish myself. And I have F24 (English version) on Roku and I watch it from time to time.

And :O really? I had no idea France Televisions is launching a domestic news channel. How exciting! First LCI, then i>Tele and later BFM TV (with Business, Sport and soon... Paris) and now, a channel from France Televisions. This is exciting stuff in French Media.

Yes, it's tentatively titled France Info and will launch Sept. 1. Though much like France 24's launch, the name is contested...

http://tvmag.lefigaro.fr/programme-tv/la-chaine-d-info-de-france-television-sera-bien-lancee-le-1er-septembre_a3a03bea-378f-11e6-9cea-f8927012e605/

I'll also add that France 24 helped me a lot when I was learning French. Back when it launched when I was in high school, it was a much scrappier channel with each language service running pretty much the same programming simultaneously. That made it easy and helpful to watch in English and then watch the French bulletin a half hour later. The English and French versions vary more now than they used to (especially with Le Débat and some of the feature programs), but it's still a pretty similar experience in terms of content.

Also under the France Medias Monde umbrella, RFI is a really good resource. They have a bunch of podcasts, including a daily newscast spoken in simple French.

Yes, it's tentatively titled France Info and will launch Sept. 1. Though much like France 24's launch, the name is contested...

http://tvmag.lefigaro.fr/programme-tv/la-chaine-d-info-de-france-television-sera-bien-lancee-le-1er-septembre_a3a03bea-378f-11e6-9cea-f8927012e605/

I'll also add that France 24 helped me a lot when I was learning French. Back when it launched when I was in high school, it was a much scrappier channel with each language service running pretty much the same programming simultaneously. That made it easy and helpful to watch in English and then watch the French bulletin a half hour later. The English and French versions vary more now than they used to (especially with Le Débat and some of the feature programs), but it's still a pretty similar experience in terms of content.

Also under the France Medias Monde umbrella, RFI is a really good resource. They have a bunch of podcasts, including a daily newscast spoken in simple French.

Wow. Interesting. Thanks for the article. So for now, Sept. 1st under "France Info" in which there's already an all-news radio network for that and has its own online TV channel (in which I've seen before).

And I love F24. Amazing international news channel. Oh and you mean, Radio France International. And cool, gotta check out that newscast. Let me know more about French media because I'm starting to follow more of it and starting to learn more French as well.

It's really great to see how far France 24 has become. It's not quite at the BBC level, but I think it's just as high quality of an international news channel as CNNI is. What confuses me though is that France Télévisions is still going ahead with its own channel. I know they don't have any direct shares in France 24 anymore, and I know the two channels will be for different audiences, but it still seems like there will be a big overlap of resources and audience now that France 24 is pretty easy to find in France.

As for the others, TF1 and France 2 are the main news broadcasters. TF1 leans a little to the right, France 2 a little to the left. France 3 is the closest you'll get to local news in France, but the France 3 newscasts are more of a national/local hybrid with a big emphasis on regional culture. Newspapers are also still a big thing in France. Le Monde, Le Figaro, and Libération are the three biggest (leaning center-left, right, and left, respectively) if you're up for a challenge.

It's really great to see how far France 24 has become. It's not quite at the BBC level, but I think it's just as high quality of an international news channel as CNNI is. What confuses me though is that France Télévisions is still going ahead with its own channel. I know they don't have any direct shares in France 24 anymore, and I know the two channels will be for different audiences, but it still seems like there will be a big overlap of resources and audience now that France 24 is pretty easy to find in France.

As for the others, TF1 and France 2 are the main news broadcasters. TF1 leans a little to the right, France 2 a little to the left. France 3 is the closest you'll get to local news in France, but the France 3 newscasts are more of a national/local hybrid with a big emphasis on regional culture. Newspapers are also still a big thing in France. Le Monde, Le Figaro, and Libération are the three biggest (leaning center-left, right, and left, respectively) if you're up for a challenge.

Yep. I know that TF1 and France 2 are on at 1:00 and 8:00pm every night with F2 doing a morning broadcast on weekdays and Saturdays.

F3 has local news, yes and I think that's why F3 is valuable. And really? I didn't know Newspapers were still big there.

And I don't think there'll be an overlap. After all, there's France 24, BFM TV, i>Tele and LCI. Shouldn't be too hard for France Televisions to distinguish itself from the other domestic news networks in France.

Just found this from September 2015 from FranceTVInfo.fr

i>Tele will soon be rebranded to CNews:

http://www.francetvinfo.fr/culture/tv/les-chaines-d8-d17-et-i-tele-seront-renommees-c8-c17-et-cnews_1068105.html

Archived