WTMJ debuts new "Storm Chaser"

Weeters

Surprised no one has posted about this... WTMJ has taken the wraps off their new "Storm Chaser" vehicle, which isn't as impressive as some of the other ones out there, but it's the first modern Storm Chaser in the Milwaukee market (WISN used to have a Jeep-based storm vehicle, way back in the day before bonded cellular).

The truck has a mobile weather station (sorry folks, no mobile radar), a top-mount pan/tilt/zoom camera, an interior talent camera, and an interior forward-facing camera, all connected to a LiveU unit on the roof. A big LCD screen in the back shows weather graphics.

I can't seem to find the on-air debut, but they did post this behind-the-scenes Facebook Live video of it

WTMJ previously had one of their satellite trucks wrapped with "Storm Chaser" branding, but they never so much as mentioned it on-air.

Why does Milwaukee need something like that?? Sure they get some big storms, but nothing that severe to the point where they need a "special truck"

It was either a storm truck...or a pony...

And we all know how that pony promise usually works out.

Which truck did they previously bring with them to places like Summerfest and State Fair? Was it the aforementioned satellite truck?

The few times I saw their trucks at Summerfest, it's been the smaller microwave-only trucks. Summerfest has all sorts of ridiculous rules regarding moving vehicles around the grounds during the festival, so I don't think they want to be in a situation where they need their good satellite truck but it's stuck at Summerfest.

Years ago, WDJT had their only working truck trapped inside the grounds when that teen got killed when the concrete panel fell off the O'Donnell Park garage. Since then I've noticed WDJT using a portable microwave transmitter hidden inside the structure for the Hole in One contest they sponsor.

WTMJ previously had one of their satellite trucks wrapped with "Storm Chaser" branding' date=' but they never so much as mentioned it on-air.[/quote']

I saw one promo where it was driving on the Hoan Bridge in rain, but otherwise the only other time I saw it was when they were covering the Sheboygan recall or other stories up here where they had to do a live shot at City Hall or the police building.

Thank goodness Scripps is finally putting money into the station; I was beginning to find it jarring that WTMJ Radio gets all these fancy scenic campaigns while the TV station had to make do with basic studio promos outside of Packers productions.

Why does Milwaukee need something like that?? Sure they get some big storms, but nothing that severe to the point where they need a "special truck"

The area gets at least a good 5-6 good (rain) storms per year... but my guess is this will be also be used to drive around in snow storms as well.

The bad part is that they're probably going to overuse it for a while... skies will get cloudy, and they'll send someone out in the thing to get pictures of it.

The area gets at least a good 5-6 good (rain) storms per year... but my guess is this will be also be used to drive around in snow storms as well.

The bad part is that they're probably going to overuse it for a while... skies will get cloudy, and they'll send someone out in the thing to get pictures of it.

Sure enough... There is rain and a weak storm in the area and Jesse Ritka is out "storm chasing" and showing lots of light grey skies from the bouncy rooftop camera.

It's basically their old "car cam" but with a camera on top.

Sure enough... There is rain and a weak storm in the area and Jesse Ritka is out "storm chasing" and showing lots of light grey skies from the bouncy rooftop camera.

It's basically their old "car cam" but with a camera on top.

The place where it always floods when it rains is flooded again - so let's send a reporter and photographer out there to do hits at 4,5 and 6pm.

Archived