Who's that VO?

Looking for the name of the Milwaukee vo talent, worked at WISN-TV for many years, then when 'ISN let him go (for Roger Thompson I believe) 'TMJ-TV picked him up for a short time....

An example of his work from the Classic Video Thread (H/T to Raymie)

WISN in November 1984:

Looking for the name of the Milwaukee vo talent, worked at WISN-TV for many years, then when 'ISN let him go (for Roger Thompson I believe) 'TMJ-TV picked him up for a short time....

An example of his work from the Classic Video Thread (H/T to Raymie)

This is a wildly uneducated guess, but that voice sounded to me like Al Ross, a Wisconsin Public Radio host currently based out of Eau Claire. Looking at his bio, he was based in Milwaukee at the time of that intro. If you listen to WHID [the local WPR Ideas Net affiliate], [i believe] you'll hear his voice on the station IDs once in a while...

• Like 1

NMSA also has him doing KEVN with Overture as Ron Moore, which is equally incorrect. KWWL would be another longer-term client...he did them for at least 10 years.

Really, given the volume of work he's done, it's amazing nothing has ever turned up on him, even so much as a name.

• 3 weeks later...
That's what I'd like to know. NMSA listed one open with him as "John Moore" but it was a red herring for another John Moore.

Other clients: KAUZ, KETK, KEVN, KFVS, KLAS, KWWL, WABG. He did KFVS for a long time, around 25 years.

I think you can add WHO-TV to that list, too.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know who did WTVH's voiceovers during the Total News/KHNL Theme era? I'm not sure if it's two different guys or the same. The Total News opens in particular sound a little like Larry Van Nuys, but not quite deep enough.

I don't know, but WTVD has a new voiceover

• 1 month later...
This is a wildly uneducated guess, but that voice sounded to me like Al Ross, a Wisconsin Public Radio host currently based out of Eau Claire. Looking at his bio, he was based in Milwaukee at the time of that intro. If you listen to WHID [the local WPR Ideas Net affiliate], [i believe] you'll hear his voice on the station IDs once in a while...

Having listened to one of Mr. Ross' WPR podcasts, I believe he is the fella...

What about this one (I'm certain he does some local stations on the side, and since he's probably Atlanta-based, would be perfect for WSB (replacing Scott Chapin)):

He doesn't sound newsy, not even a little.... I will save my comments about the irony (or truth) of a televangelist with the last name dollar for some other time...

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Bumping this thread again to identify this guy:

This guy (who was KLAS’s VO briefly in 2003) also has been heard on plenty of movie and VHS promos in the 1990s, and was the voice of the Arsenio Hall Show. The NMSA currently lists him as unidentified.

I've never heard him on any movie/VHS promos, and the voice of Arsenio was Burton Richardson, who is most definitely not this guy.

• Like 1

I've never heard him on any movie/VHS promos, and the voice of Arsenio was Burton Richardson, who is most definitely not this guy.

You can hear him in this VHS open compilation, at 1:51 (plenty more can be found on YouTube), unless it’s someone else.

Also yes, I now see the difference between this guy and Burton Richardson, the latter sounds a bit lower-pitched.

Hope you like VO IDs from Spokane, because this 1988 piece has a bunch of them.

The names given are

Tom Parill - KHQ (looks like he was very quickly replaced after '88; also a station employee)

Rod Clefton - KXLY (promos only? Richard Clear is also mentioned as a station voice)

Glenn Johnson - KREM

Of the three, Glenn Johnson is the most notable. He also did VOs for the Retlaw -> Fisher -> Sinclair CBS affiliates in Washington (KIMA, KEPR and KLEW). But that's not even his most famous VO credit.

No, this professor ended up becoming the Mayor of Pullman, Washington...and the PA announcer of WSU athletics!

The VO might also be Bob Phillips, who's also mentioned for KREM (it's not

, who actually runs the channel that video's on).

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone recognize this guy?

I looked it up on NMSA for WCIA and on the V/O portion of the screen it says unidentified but it's a very good question, I just don't have a concrete answer for you at this time

• Like 3