NBC O&O Graphics (2016 Look N)

jb542

Something happen to their page, guessing it's now private.

I imagine the owner of the account likely saw a spike in a views, a few likes (from me and others) and decided to make it private.

There was a 34 minute long video of them testing out different color schemes on the set. For general use it appeared they were flicking back and forth between three options - all would be considered in the same family of blue but different shades.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I imagine the owner of the account likely saw a spike in a views, a few likes (from me and others) and decided to make it private.

There was a 34 minute long video of them testing out different color schemes on the set. For general use it appeared they were flicking back and forth between three options - all would be considered in the same family of blue but different shades.

Yeah I watched that. I thought it was random when they had the peacock over the center screen of the backdrop when they were testing it. I think my favorite one was #2 out of the 3 different patterns lol.

It reminded me of Look C minus the clouds since it had a yellow and blue scheme going on.

I saw the 30:00 minute long video it looks good so far, hopefully they use the set to its potential and hopefully they find a way to use 10 day forecast since we need here down in LA

I saw the 30:00 minute long video it looks good so far, hopefully they use the set to its potential and hopefully they find a way to use 10 day forecast since we need here down in LA

If your a KNBC producer why would you need to watch a 30 minute video when you could have seen it for yourself?

Yeah I watched that. I thought it was random when they had the peacock over the center screen of the backdrop when they were testing it. I think my favorite one was #2 out of the 3 different patterns lol.

I can't remember any of the patterns. However the crystal Peacock in the middle screen has made me wonder why the stations (when I've tuned in) that have these monitor walls never use them for graphical elements other than live backdrops. I think it would look good if they used the center panel for an OTS graphic of sorts or use it as a toss to a reporter in the field while leaving room for a live backdrop.

Or they could do what BBC World News America does in DC by have a collage of sorts with different key images on the panels.

I can't remember any of the patterns. However the crystal Peacock in the middle screen has made me wonder why the stations (when I've tuned in) that have these monitor walls never use them for graphical elements other than live backdrops. I think it would look good if they used the center panel for an OTS graphic of sorts or use it as a toss to a reporter in the field while leaving room for a live backdrop.

Or they could do what BBC World News America does in DC by have a collage of sorts with different key images on the panels.

Too much clutter.

If your a KNBC producer why would you need to watch a 30 minute video when you could have seen it for yourself?

But the graphics aren't my department, the guys from Graphics and NBC Arthouse came to see how it looks, same is going for KNTV, and KNSD

But the graphics aren't my department, the guys from Graphics and NBC Arthouse came to see how it looks, same is going for KNTV, and KNSD

Yes, but if you are truly a producer you would be going through training on how to use the graphics and have complete access to the style guide.

Yes, but if you are truly a producer you would be going through training on how to use the graphics and have complete access to the style guide.

I do but here at NBC we have a graphics set up in our control room we have no control on it but what comes next, now, later. The graphics team controls graphics, although I choose what goes up, I haven't even used 'Look N' I have only used Look C, and Look F.

[GALLERY=media, 836]Image by compubit posted Jul 4, 2016 at 10:26 PM[/GALLERY]

Looks like the WRC graphics folks (weekend team?) isn't quite used to the graphics - not quite lined up...

The meteorologist or weather producer (if the station has one) is responsible for the weather graphics. I guess she thought she could use the same font size as she did with the old package.

[GALLERY=media, 836]Image by compubit posted Jul 4, 2016 at 10:26 PM[/GALLERY]

Looks like the WRC graphics folks (weekend team?) isn't quite used to the graphics - not quite lined up...

Simple mistake. I guess maybe they thought it would be dynamic and resize? From some of what I've seen meteorologists don't always exactly follow the style guide.

WCAU appears to be the first station to use a generic open, not branded with any particular time slot. I think they're also the only station to not use their respective city's skyline in the open, opting for a peacock, like the last package. It looks very nice. (Obviously, the normal open is blue.)

Also, who made the green peacock feather gray? :D

bandicam%202016-07-11%2015-31-46-219_zps6iajqlve.png

WCAU appears to be the first station to use a generic open, not branded with any particular time slot. I think they're also the only station to not use their respective city's skyline in the open, opting for a peacock, like the last package. It looks very nice. (Obviously, the normal open is blue.)

Another holdover from Look F 2.0... (not the studioTEN Look F) (Wish they used the skyline)

I'd wait til 5 before saying that's the open. They've only played that breaking news open and generic rejoins. I think their main open will be something along the lines of the last package's open.

Oh and that green feather might have gotten keyed out somehow. lol

I'm watching WCAU's 11pm.

There are things I like and things I don't. Visually, it's very pretty. It's extremely polished in a way that the other stations - two on group looks and one that I wish was on one - are not.

But it's also distracting as hell. There's too much stuff going on. I had a feeling when seeing the gfx on the other O&Os that the top bar was going to annoy the hell out of me. Guess what? It annoys the hell out of me. Especially since WCAU seems to like using it for EVERY. SINGLE. THING. Story from Delaware? It will be bannered at the top of the screen. Chopper shot? Banner. Election story? Somehow it escapes the damn banner. And don't get me started on the lower bar. I don't care about the web address, put a bleeping ticker in there.

I don't know why the whizzing bothers me with this particular look since the station I've been maining lately - when I follow local news, which is much less than in the past - is probably far worse on that front than Look N is.

I'm watching WCAU's 11pm.

There are things I like and things I don't. Visually, it's very pretty. It's extremely polished in a way that the other stations - two on group looks and one that I wish was on one - are not.

But it's also distracting as hell. There's too much stuff going on. I had a feeling when seeing the gfx on the other O&Os that the top bar was going to annoy the hell out of me. Guess what? It annoys the hell out of me. Especially since WCAU seems to like using it for EVERY. SINGLE. THING. Story from Delaware? It will be bannered at the top of the screen. Chopper shot? Banner. Election story? Somehow it escapes the damn banner. And don't get me started on the lower bar. I don't care about the web address, put a bleeping ticker in there.

I don't know why the whizzing bothers me with this particular look since the station I've been maining lately - when I follow local news, which is much less than in the past - is probably far worse on that front than Look N is.

Only time they use the ticker is between 4-7a.

No offense, but 10 doesn't always have to follow what the other O&Os do in some areas. (The top bar thing is a first in the Delaware Valley. 3 & 57 can't match that. 6 & 17 can't match that. 29? Nope.)

(The top bar thing is a first in the Delaware Valley. 3 & 57 can't match that. 6 & 17 can't match that. 29? Nope.)

Just because they can doesn't mean they should. Fox29 and 6abc's are mediocre, too, arguably worse than Look N, but the NBC package is not without flaws.

Archived