NBC O&O Graphics (2016 Look N)

jb542

:D:D

Does SoCal REALLY need three dopplers, with it's scant annual rainfal rates, or is that just another way for Fritz to one-up Dallas?

Yeah we do need 3, it's thunderstorm season here and we'll let's says it's not fun also KNSD is using the one of the 3 dopplers so it helps them I heard not sure if it's true though.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah we do need 3, it's thunderstorm season here and we'll let's says it's not fun also KNSD is using the one of the 3 dopplers so it helps them I heard not sure if it's true though.

Trust me. I spent three long years in the SoCal jungle and rainy days were the worst so I know that pain.

So they are actually building out these Doppler radsrs?

Trust me. I spent three long years in the SoCal jungle and rainy days were the worst so I know that pain.

So they are actually building out these Doppler radsrs?

I don't know my California topography that well but it looks like some of them could cover KNSD and KNTV's territory. Also couldn't they be used to fill in the areas where mountains and valleys that may block the NWS dopplers?

So I'm guessing NBC is spending atleast $5 million in weather equipment in KNBC in addition to the other equipment they are rolling out in the future. I seem to be getting the impression that in addition to the future Storm Rangers that they will be installing more fixed sites or upgrading their current ones.

Might as well slap a 7 on the truck since they are

Using San Diego's Doppler Radar in their promo.

KNSD is also running a promo touting the three doppler radars and the mobile doppler radar truck. Guess that's why the truck only has the NBC logo and not a 4 or 7.

KNSD is also running a promo touting the three doppler radars and the mobile doppler radar truck. Guess that's why the truck only has the NBC logo and not a 4 or 7.

There's more info on the truck in the Storm Ranger thread. But, KNSD and KNBC will be sharing the truck. Also, they have a removable magnetic decal logo on the side doors.

It can cover the whole southern region but the Doppler farthest north in the Los Angeles region only reaches up to Bakersfield but Bakersfield is a hit, miss. And no that is not San Diego's Doppler, KNBC is building a whole new network of Doppler Radars. KNSD's Doppler is in the Coronado area I believe.

What started this doppler radar pissing contest? It's fairly annoying. I also still don't understand why SoCal is going so heavy on weather. Most of the year it's not doing anything down there, and they've been marred in a horrible drought, so I know it's not dumping buckets of water on them.

What started this doppler radar pissing contest? It's fairly annoying. I also still don't understand why SoCal is going so heavy on weather. Most of the year it's not doing anything down there, and they've been marred in a horrible drought, so I know it's not dumping buckets of water on them.
I guess thats why. So they can see when the next series of showers will be. That, or el nino, or both.

I had to come back and look at the promo again -- is it just me or does it look like they are building the Dopplers out at the three O&Os...
I think they are, but they might not. Though I still think KNBC's stormranger should've been called "stormranger SoCal".

I had to come back and look at the promo again -- is it just me or does it look like they are building the Dopplers out at the three O&Os...

The three dopplers will be built out across Southern California. I'm guessing one will be in LA county, the second in Orange County and the third in San Diego County. At least, that's what it looks like in the promo.

I Ctually have to say these GFX's that were created for these O&O's were well thought and planned out, the only problems I have with it is the lack of Coloring, the same type of GFX for almost everything, and also the lack of creativeness on the O&O's end.

On the topic of graphics I wonder if WBBH is going to get these that would be fun to see. They use Look F and I have to say they use it very well. Unlike NBC Montana :p which is styled NBC 6 but NBC Montana for everything else.

• 1 month later...

Bumping!

I'm watching WTVJ's coverage of the hurricane, and they've nicely slotted in the doppler image in the big bug space next to the logo. It looks like a natural fit, which is something I can't say about most cases of bug-dopplers.

I still prefer the previous package but I can't say that it isn't well thought out.

• 4 months later...
They are using the most boring font on television, DIN.

They're actually using it well. Different widths and weights, instead of just bold.

They're also using a number of different fonts besides that. The entire weather presentation on WCAU uses what I think is Trade Gothic Extended, and I think some other stations use that for some stuff. And there are a few elements carried over from the previous look, so you'll see Jaeger Daily News and Gotham here and there.

They're actually using it well. Different widths and weights, instead of just bold.

It's true Look N used a different variety of typefaces from FF DIN but I'll have to disagree completely on its execution. There's elements in the package like topical bumpers and opening headlines which disregards FF DIN's Bold Italic set for an incorrect rendered italics version of FF DIN Bold, causing this mess:

c3da67990584d431565b2194b1c58c08.png

To add more fuel to the fire, the existing Bold Italic set is used in unison with the rendered typeface in promos, website banners and lower third visuals. This amount of visual inconsistency over a typeface - an issue which did not exist on the previous Look F - is ridiculous to say the least.

It's true Look N used a different variety of typefaces from FF DIN but I'll have to disagree completely on its execution. There's elements in the package like topical bumpers and opening headlines which disregards FF DIN's Bold Italic set for an incorrect rendered italics version of FF DIN Bold, causing this mess:

c3da67990584d431565b2194b1c58c08.png

To add more fuel to the fire, the existing Bold Italic set is used in unison with the rendered typeface in promos, website banners and lower third visuals. This amount of visual inconsistency over a typeface - an issue which did not exist on the previous Look F - is ridiculous to say the least.

Tgey are also using Nexa Bold which looks very similar to DIN in some ways. Also, I think they used Roboto on some occasions.

Which font did they use for the Look E (block) package? I thought it looked very sharp and was disappointed that they didn't use it for other graphics packages.

I should be more specific and say that I'm referring to the font used for the L3's

Archived