NBC O&O Graphics (2016 Look N)

jb542

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NBC 7 stream down.

NBC 4 still on Look F 2.0.

Watching NBC Bay Area right now. Liking the new look. They went with the WNBC route with the quick opening theme.

The NBC bug isn't animated anymore and they They dropped the hashtag #WeInvestigate. It's not included on the bottom white bar where the Social Media apps are.

Also the bumper music tempo on NBC Bay Area now is the standard LA Groove at 100% speed. Was never a fan of the slowed down version cut.

Here are the 4/5/6pm opens. They sped up the chimes at the end to fit the open. Not too bad.

The open sounds awful. It like hearing a broken record.

They could've just played the "Chimes" part of the open track only, if they wanted to stick with the length of the open.

They could've just played the "Chimes" part of the open track only, if they wanted to stick with the length of the open.

Way too sped up, I agree with the chimes if they didn't want to go with the WNBC cold open route

It's the modern equivalent of a broken record, like an audio glitch of sorts

It feels rushed
Because it is. And I hope NBC 4 LA doesn't have the same problem as NBC 7/39 has with its open.

Way too sped up, I agree with the chimes if they didn't want to go with the WNBC cold open route

Well to be fair, LAGroove needed to have been put out to pasture years ago. I'm still baffled as to why those O&O's using the package didn't switch to the 360 pack or something else for Look N. Who knows, maybe there's an a new NBC O&O music package on its way?

Well to be fair, LAGroove needed to have been put out to pasture years ago. I'm still baffled as to why those O&O's using the package didn't switch to the 360 pack or something else for Look N. Who knows, maybe there's an a new NBC O&O music package on its way?

Most of the news directors cried bloody murder when they demoed the 360 O&O theme back when they were fixing to adopt Look E. I guess they hated the graphics/branding so much they threw the baby out with the bathwater when Look E was abandoned. WNBC actually had experimented with with picking up the O&O theme when they picked up Look F but changed their minds a few weeks before launching.

Most of the news directors cried bloody murder when they demoed the 360 O&O theme back when they were fixing to adopt Look E. I guess they hated the graphics/branding so much they threw the baby out with the bathwater when Look E was abandoned. WNBC actually had experimented with with picking up the O&O theme when they picked up Look F but changed their minds a few weeks before launching.

Jeez. And to be fair, the 360 package is not bad at all.

That being said, the fact that all the NBC O&O's are adopting Look N gives you an indication that they want all of them to be standardized/streamlined...So why not the music? And just one more thing to add to my curiosity. Why would Artworks design such a short open? Didn't they realize that the music would not fit the open properly?

It just so happens that I just noticed a pattern. Since 2008, NBC Artworks seems to like to rollout their new graphics in the same year as the Olympics and always before it even starts (often with the rollout ending a little less than a month before the opening ceremony), the only exceptions to the rule were NBC 5 DFW (and even their 2013-2016 graphics used some elements of Look F) from 2011 until about a few weeks ago when they reverted to using the same standardized graphics seen on the other NBC O&Os, and NBC 4 NYC which used look D in 2008-2012 (which itself looks inspired by Look C). If this pattern keeps going, Look (insert letter here, but presumably Look O) will rollout in 2020 for the Olympic games in Tokyo.

It just so happens that I just noticed a pattern. Since 2008, NBC Artworks seems to like to rollout their new graphics in the same year as the Olympics and always before it even starts (often with the rollout ending a little less than a month before the opening ceremony), the only exceptions to the rule were NBC 5 DFW (and even their 2013-2016 graphics used some elements of Look F) from 2011 until about a few weeks ago when they reverted to using the same standardized graphics seen on the other NBC O&Os, and NBC 4 NYC which used look D in 2008-2012 (which itself looks inspired by Look C). If this pattern keeps going, Look (insert letter here, but presumably Look O) will rollout in 2020 for the Olympic games in Tokyo.

Which one was Look D? Got a video?

Which one was Look D? Got a video?

This is it, though I don't ever recall hearing 'Look D' as the official name. That said, it's also 1am and I'm not totally thinking straight.

Yeah and WNBC was supposed to have used Look C as well, but anyway, about the pattern of NBC O&O graphics, is there some strategic reasoning behind NBC Arthouse's pattern of rolling out their O&O graphics before the summer olympics begins, which it's been doing for the most part (the exceptions already mentioned above) since 2008?

It's the same reason other station roll out graphics for sweeps.

New graphics + More viewers (for a short-term event) = More viewers in the long run

It's not an exact science, more so wishful thinking.

It's the same reason other station roll out graphics for sweeps.

New graphics + More viewers (for a short-term event) = More viewers in the long run

It's not an exact science, more so wishful thinking.

I get that, sort of. I mean, the Olympics are a big event after all, and I could understand NBC Arthouse's reasoning behind introducing new graphics for the NBC O&Os every leap year before the Olympics if that's why. And this pattern is going to continue into 2020 with Look (insert letter here, but once again, presumably Look O or some other letter they haven't used yet) isn't it?

I don't see where you're finding this pattern. Look C started rolling out well after the 2008 summer Olympics. Look E was supposed to roll out in late 2010, early 2011 until the Comcast takeover put the kibosh on it. Look F debuted in the fall of '11 as well as KXAS picking up Look G around that same timeframe. This is really their first every rollout that's coincided with the Olympics.

Archived