NBC O&O Graphics (2016 Look N)

jb542

After switching to the new website yesterday, WMAQ accidentally cued up the new ticker today. One would think they'll debut within days.

bandicam%202016-06-22%2017-03-42-353_zps1kr6byfz.png

I noticed this too Wednesday night. The background is that of their current graphics but it has the bottom and top bars of the new. The white ticker clued me in as theirs is usually black and you can tell its a testing ticker. I'm on the fence with the new graphics package. I haven't seen any station customize much of it yet which begs the question, is it able to be customized? All of the opens are very underwhelming compared to some of look F's. Stock photos cheapen the look. That has always been my issue with WMAQ's. A good time lapse would be awesome!

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just noticed that! Holy crap... Texas Connects Us .

Just like KCRA's Where The News Comes First .

Add to that, WHNT's Taking Action, Getting Results They used a "registered" trademark symbol in one or more of their previous generations of news opens.

The slogan and campaign was first created for use by WHNT in October 2006, and was developed by the consultant group of Smith & Geiger.

https://trademarks.justia.com/867/84/taking-action-getting-86784574.html

Add to that, WHNT's Taking Action, Getting Results They used a "registered" trademark symbol in one or more of their previous generations of news opens.

The slogan and campaign was first created for use by WHNT in October 2006, and was developed by the consultant group of Smith & Geiger.

https://trademarks.justia.com/867/84/taking-action-getting-86784574.html

Didn't WTKR once used that slogan?

[quote name='detroiter313']Didn't WTKR once used that slogan?[/QUOTE] [quote name='KevCor']Once? They barely JUST got rid of it a few weeks ago after nearly five years of usage...[/QUOTE] lol.... the slogan that just wouldn't go away... yeah, what @KevCor said... They first started out using just Taking Action as their slogan, then not long after, it morphed into Taking Action Getting Results for WTKR... since both TKR and WHNT were owned by the same company, the use of the slogan wasn't too much of a big deal. Guessing for other stations, they might/would license the phrase out. I'm not exactly sure why the consulting company didn't file and retain the rights to the phrase, but as far as I know besides a brief use by a Louisville, KY station (that station may have been given a cease and desist letter), nobody else has used the slogan to my knowledge.

So was it NBC's turn to decide whether or not KXAS would get the graphics? The last two times somebody said something about the other partial owners having a say in whether or not they would go with the O&O look. Also weird, I have never seen a station actually have the trademark TM on their slogan. It's neat that they were able to trademark "Texas Connects Us," but it sucks for everyone else in the state thinking of using it or coming up with it unawares.

About the graphics, I really wish they would stack the time and temp. That bug is so big with so much empty space it's unsettling.

When WGCL was using "We Ask the Tough Questions" as a slogan it was trademarked and featured the TM in the opens as well as on segment intros during the newscast

Looks like the roll out will be one station per week. Guessing WCAU is next.

Actually I think WRC is. They've relaunched their website. I think WCAU is holding out for the Welcome America 4th of July festivities to launch their look.

Actually I think WRC is. They've relaunched their website. I think WCAU is holding out for the Welcome America 4th of July festivities to launch their look.

I see. IIRC, KNSD launched Look F on the first day of Comic-Con, and with the All-Star Game here in San Diego, they may launch it around that time. Plus, Comic-Con is near the end of July this year...

Hopefully, KNBC 4 Los Angeles and KNSD NBC Bay Area would be the final two NBC O&Os after WRC NBC 4 DC and WCAU NBC 10 Philadelphia to get the on-air and online graphic upgrades, if I'm not mistaken. I'm glad WMAQ NBC 5 Chicago got the on-air graphic upgrade.

Looks like the roll out will be one station per week. Guessing WCAU is next.

Actually KNBC, KNTV are getting it the same day, it's unconfirmed but that's what I'm hearing

KNTV has been doing their newscasts from the newsroom today, not sure what to read from that.

Studio maintenance, it was on FB Live that they weren't satisfied with the lighting so they are re adjusting the lighting situation

Archived