NBC O&O Graphics (2016 Look N)

jb542

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall, I love how polished this look is and how it's bold and different. This is how you design graphics for 16:9. I believe the elements are much closer to all edges of the screen than the past design and most other designs.

It reminds me of Hearst with the diamonds and NY1 with some of the angled graphics and italics. The use of the bar on the top makes me think of the old CNBC and MSNBC graphics.

I don't understand why there needs to be a permanent white bar on top and bottom. I imagine that'll be something that gets changed at some point soon.

When they put a graphic on the top of the screen, it's nice. But the one that starts with the chimes and teases stories ahead confuses me.

The forecasts for the different areas in the bug seems strange, especially since it only includes the conditions icon and not the temperature. So it's going to be sunny on Tuesday... but will it be warm? And to lump "Long Island & CT" as one is odd.

The bug ditches the recent trend of including the station's website and social media accounts on it.

I like that the bug becomes blue when there's a lower-third (and red with the nice looking Breaking News graphics). And it disappears for weather, with the "Storm Team 4" bar appearing on top.

The meteorologist gets a different kind of lower-third... it doesn't go across the entire screen like the others. Seems strange to have a different style for this.

Have they jumped the shark with a ten-day forecast?

While there are things I and others don't like, I really appreciate the fact that this look is clean, has nice animations, is detailed, polished, and fresh. NBC 4 does not look like the other stations.

WNBC's 10am open.

I feel like this is easily one of the better packages ever made, especially designed for 2016 and beyond. Blows WABC and WCBS's graphics in the dust for me.

Wow that is very nice. Very polished look. Can't wait to see how WCAU implements this especially with the opens.

You Know how 10 does. They'll make the look their own just like they did with Look F in 2012, they'll might studioTEN-ize Look N...

Doubt it. First off studioTEN no longer exists. It was rolled back into the station's creative services department. Also being that they dumped their customized look (which was approved by previous management) for the standard Look F only after two years would tell me that a heavily customized rendition of this isn't in the cards. Also being that the big guys downtown use WCAU as the model station for NBC is another reason you won't see them going off the reservation presentation wise any time soon.

I don't that was a standard open. More of a sting for breaking news (the fact that it's all red and what happen last night leaves me to believe that).

They've been using that 4-note sting for many regular broadcasts for awhile, be it normal or breaking circumstances.

They've been using that 4-note sting for many regular broadcasts for awhile, be it normal or breaking circumstances.

If that's the case then they must not use traditional opens. I wouldn't say that's the other stations are going to do it though.

It reminds me of Hearst with the diamonds and NY1 with some of the angled graphics and italics. The use of the bar on the top makes me think of the old CNBC and MSNBC graphics.

I don't understand why there needs to be a permanent white bar on top and bottom. I imagine that'll be something that gets changed at some point soon.

When they put a graphic on the top of the screen, it's nice. But the one that starts with the chimes and teases stories ahead confuses me.

Have they jumped the shark with a ten-day forecast?

Yeah the Hearst-inspired aspects are too obvious to me, but that's probably only something news nerds like us would notice and be bothered by.

I don't understand the point of that bar either. It's redundant, clutters the screen, and makes the broadcast seem letterboxed.

As a meteorology student, I can tell you that a 10-forecast is utterly stupid. By the time you reach days 6 and 7 on a 7 day forecast it's already a stretch as anything can change, by day 10? There's not really a point in making a specific forecast.

I don't care how good it looks, 2 second opens are shit.

I don't that was a standard open. More of a sting for breaking news (the fact that it's all red and what happen last night leaves me to believe that).

It probably was a sting, however short opens have become a trend recently. In KC at least, KSHB and KMBC start their opens as simply "41 Action News starts right now/KMBC 9 News (at xx:xx) starts right now."

When I first saw it last night, it did make me think of the Gannett/Tenga graphics without the stupid USA Today color schemes. Especially the hideous ways KSDK implemented it. My biggest complaint is the white bar a the top. I like the Decision 2016, NBC Investigates, Breaking News top bar feature, but just the white by itself feels like they compressed the verticalness of the 16:9 display. Just ditch that one element and it will look better. Also, no need to repeat what is at top on the L3s. The regionalized weather on the bug does seem out of place here. The issue in the NY area is temp variation, not actual conditions. Use the space for the social media interaction. Someone mentioned that the weather L3 is shorter - what I also noticed last night was the anchor's picture inserted during the story. I think the intent is the weather map, the story or picture is the focus, not the anchor which is visually interesting but will take some time to get used to it. Definitely different and improved vs. the basics WCBS and WABC recently adapted. I suppose there will be tweeks int he coming weeks as more of us viewers give feedback.

I don't care how good it looks, 2 second opens are shit.

Also it's kinda clunky for the anchor to say "Today in New York starts right now" while the super-short open/stinger rolls, followed immediately by the same anchor saying "Hello and thanks for joining us for Today in New York at 10." One or the other folks.

Also it's kinda clunky for the anchor to say "Today in New York starts right now" while the super-short open/stinger rolls, followed immediately by the same anchor saying "Hello and thanks for joining us for Today in New York at 10." One or the other folks.

WBZ had anchors say the opens back in 2007 when they shed the CBS4 branding.

Archived