Canada AM Canned

Viper550

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/ctv-s-canada-am-to-sign-off-on-friday-1.2928008

Bell has abruptly announced that Canada AM, which is supposedly CTV's "national" morning show but only really airs on the East coast, will air its final episode tomorrow. There will be a CTV News Channel simulcast in the timeslot as an interim measure next week before Bell announces a "new program" that will air in its place.

You begin to wonder why they didn't do this a long time ago. The nail in the coffin had to be having the west-coast stations replace it with local morning news. I'm also shocked that there has been no implication that they may start doing CTV Morning Live in the East coast markets (the CTV Two stations in Ottawa and the Atlantic already have their own versions that could be moved to the main network in a pinch, and in Toronto, they promote CP24 Breakfast as their "local" morning show) instead to compete against Global.

On a side note, there's a chance this may be related to Jeff Hutcheson's retirement.

No. That would be lazy, even for Canadian TV.

Here's hoping for local morning shows on those stations... or at least:

- CTV Morning Live simulcast on CTV and CTV Two in Ottawa/Maritimes

- CP24 Breakfast simulcast/reformat for both CTV Toronto and CP24

- Launch of a new CTV Morning Live show in Montreal

- Permanent CTV News Channel simulcast in Northern Ontario and Kitchener

Or CTV Kitchener and CTV London/Windsor can pool together for a SW Ontario edition of CTVML

I speculate that they might either do that, or maybe try something more like CBS This Morning. In Canada, you can only really get a good hard news morning show on talk radio, and CBC News Network doesn't really have a dedicated morning show.

First, we have cuts at CBC and Global. Next, we have CHCH can news except in core hours. But this?!? Why? Is CTV's Canada AM really getting its a** handed to them in the morning by Global Morning News and City Breakfast Television? Is it Bell cutting costs to appease stockholders? Or both?

Canada AM was on the death kneel for a long time. It was targeting an aging audience and considering it's the only nationally-televised morning show, it faces stiff competition from other local morning shows and their own properties. Why should Bell keep last place Canada AM while they're cruising with a profitable CP24 Breakfast? It's insane.

At the end of the day, Bell made the logical decision.

First, we have cuts at CBC and Global. Next, we have CHCH can news except in core hours. But this?!? Why? Is CTV's Canada AM really getting its a** handed to them in the morning by Global Morning News and City Breakfast Television? Is it Bell cutting costs to appease stockholders? Or both?

What happened with CBC, Global and CHCH isn't relevant to what happened with Canada AM. Global and City had little influence of the ending of Canada AM too. It was a whole different situation altogether.

Anyways, CTV said they will announce a new replacement next week. Let's see the possibilities...

1. An extension of the Morning Live brand for Toronto and Montreal and so forth.
  2. Another nationally televised show that clears off the local 'Morning Live' from CTV west and CTV Two east
  3. A radio-on-TV show, nationally or locally

We should note that Canada AM debuted in 1972...20 years after the Today Show and three before Good Morning America!

Those two shows (and CBS This Morning) have been attracting some viewers north of the border, which also led to Canada AM's demise.

Anyways, CTV said they will announce a new replacement next week. Let's see the possibilities...

1. An extension of the Morning Live brand for Toronto and Montreal and so forth.
  2. Another nationally televised show that clears off the local 'Morning Live' from CTV west and CTV Two east
  3. A radio-on-TV show, nationally or locally

It really makes sense that the first option would be more viable, since the Morning Live shows are very popular because of the local production and focus they have.

But then again, I also would expect CTV to try another national program; because hey--CBS did it several times before across several decades and ABC did it once too; so why not start now?

I say a toss-up between 1 and 2, but I'll lean towards 1.

Yes, Canada AM was getting pummeled everywhere in Canada. If AM was doing well in Western Canada, we would have seen a US-style morning schedule on CTV where we would have local from 5-7 and AM from 7-9.

I wouldn't be surprised if CTV moves CP24's Breakfast to CFTO and rename it as CTV Morning Live while simulcasting on CP24. However, with all the cuts that Bell Media has imposed on CTV News during the past two years, would they be willing to expand news operations after axing a lot of personnel, just to be rehired.

Your Morning on CTV.

6:00-9:00am.

Anne-Marie Mediwake (ex-CBC News Toronto on CBLT 5/will become morning anchor)

Ben Mulroney (from eTalk/will become morning anchor)

Melissa Grelo (from The Social/will become late morning anchor)

Lindsey Deluce (from CP24 Breakfast/will become news anchor)

Kelsey McEwen (from CFCN 4's CTV Calgary Morning LIVE/will become weather anchor)

Debut: End of Summer.

CTV News Channel in the interim.

Well, CTV has revealed Canada AM's replacement, and I'm personally unsure about this:

It's going to be called Your Morning[ . It is being led by the same producer as CTV's other daytime shows, and says that news will be "provided" by CTV News, which akes me wonder if this will be technically separate from the news department and suitably fluffy. Also apparently, the abrupt "end" of Canada AM was intentional. The hosts wanted it that way.

Anne-Marie Mediwake has been poached from CBC, again, to host alongside Ben Mulroney. Melissa Grelo from The Social (one of the aforementioned "other daytime shows") and Lindsey Deluce (CP24) will also host. It will still only air on the east coast and on CTV News Channel (as was the case with Canada AM), and will "deliver an original perspective and unique insight into the stories of the day, while showcasing lifestyle topics of interests to Canadians from coast-to-coast-to-coast"

[MEDIA=twitter]739807793562148865[/MEDIA]

Well, CTV has revealed Canada AM's replacement, and I'm personally unsure about this:

...news will be "provided" by CTV News, which makes me wonder if this will be technically separate from the news department and suitably fluffy.

[MEDIA=twitter]739807793562148865[/MEDIA]

Canadians love fluff... Or, at least, the nets think we do.

I am also pleasantly surprised they're giving it another go to compete in the mornings.

Anyways, my assumption is that this program will be very entertainment based. I'm picturing something like 3 hours of Kelly live, with the occasional national news update... but with significantly less chemistry, fun and excitement between the two co-hosts.

It's also being produced from Bell's downtown facilities a.k.a. the old MuchMusic/CHUM building before Bell just about entirely gutted MuchMusic's content operations so much that I don't think the network broadcasts anything from it anymore.

With that in mind, I bet you they could possibly do a street-level set.

It's also being produced from Bell's downtown facilities a.k.a. the old MuchMusic/CHUM building before Bell just about entirely gutted MuchMusic's content operations so much that I don't think the network broadcasts anything from it anymore.

With that in mind, I bet you they could possibly do a street-level set.

Ah so where CP24 is already located?

• 2 weeks later...
Did somebody say "CHUM"???

I love CHUM !

1050 CHUM !

Haha. That's gone but they do have TSN Radio 1050 CHUM.

CHUM Limited was REALLY good to Citytv until they sold it to Rogers. Now, its just a blended mess and the Citytv I love is forever gone.

• 2 months later...

Your Morning debuted the other day

[MEDIA=twitter]767783676566392832[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]767696064300351490[/MEDIA]

Set's looking like oddly-cramped for some reason.

Also, curiously, CHEX and CKWS, two CTV "affiliates" (legally a "program supply agreement" because "affiliation" actually has specific legal implications under CRTC rules) owned by Corus in Peterborough and Kingston are apparently not carrying Your Morning, and are carrying The Morning Show from Global Toronto instead.

Someone who presumably works at CKWS stated on DigitalHome that Global people were also at the studio recently, and are presumably preparing to hub it with Global's other stations (CHEX and CKWS have always been owned by Corus, but they never had effective control of Global since the great re-organization of April 2016)

• 2 weeks later...

An update on that oddity in Kingston and Peterborough: Global confirmed that these otherwise CTV-affiliated stations are now going to carry Global National, and will be launching local morning news in October.

Those two stations are oddities: they were Corus's only TV stations before the amalgamation of Shaw's media assets into it, and were formerly private CBC stations. They appeared to only have half-hour evening news and not much more in the way of local programming. They just seemed to be neglected: could they be pulling a Nexstar and actually putting money into them?

Archived