CBS Evening News to debut new theme from Man Made Music

Geoffrey

I will say this, the CBS Evening News' theme is not the theme they deserve but the improvements that is needed for the 21st Century. Yes, the legacy of CBS News is a big part of the division's DNA, but the reality is that as the intro and style that is needed to have the viewers remain glued to the set. (That plus it's time for the news to be less reflective of the past, but more embracive to the ever changing audience.

I get the theme needs to evolve, but I think sonic branding is important too.

True. But my guess is the previous theme screams "Dan Rather", yet this theme says urgency. (I guess they had to put it away for obvious reasons...)

To joke around for a moment,

it's like if the show had oatmeal for breakfast (as it usually does), and put in sugar for the first time.

It feels a bit more manic than normally seen on this program. And I can get used to it.

I like this theme, but the last theme fit the Pelley era so much more and way better.

I wonder if the second Rather era theme would've worked here too?

The open is too fast-paced for the type of newscast they produce. And the theme... well, it certainly matches the open. Honestly, isn't it just their election theme that they've been using? Was that a soft launch?

It looks like the open for for some sort of minute-long Buzzfeed Facebook newsbrief. It's the antithesis of Pelley's style (as mentioned above) and goes against why I prefer over NBC and ABC ("Good Evening America" was a great call :D). It was bizarre to see Pelley jump into serious news coming out of that open, and I can't (?) wait to see it with a sub like Charlie Rose.

The open is too fast-paced for the type of newscast they produce. And the theme... well, it certainly matches the open. Honestly, isn't it just their election theme that they've been using? Was that a soft launch?

It looks like the open for for some sort of minute-long Buzzfeed Facebook newsbrief. It's the antithesis of Pelley's style (as mentioned above) and goes against why I prefer over NBC and ABC ("Good Evening America" was a great call :D). It was bizarre to see Pelley jump into serious news coming out of that open, and I can't (?) wait to see it with a sub like Charlie Rose.

It looks a little bit off because the music is fast and then Scott Pelley talks really slow

Yes, the music is a little fast now that I think about it, but still, I LOVE IT! They did a great job with the opens. I intentianly watched CBS tonight, and as a viewer, the open certainly drew me in. And I watched more of their newscast than I ever have! (Maybe.) Great job!

Is it just me or are there more stories being covered. The average length of a report seems to be a minute.

Also some of their love shots so far look like crap.

Didn't they start this late last year? I seem to remember Pelley mentioning the change when the new graphics launched, they are trying to be a bit more fast paced and jam packed.

Could a new set be in the works for the fall? It's been 10 years when the debut that set.

I know and all that was technically a refresh of the previous set. They desperately need a new set.

To me, the music feels too upbeat for the CBS Evening News with Scott "Put You to Sleep" Pelley. Honestly, it could've worked better as a new theme for CBS This Morning. That being said, it is a big improvement over the 2011-2016 theme and hands down what the Couric era should've used.

We got to hear the new Special Report music when they broke in to Sunday Morning with a news conference from Orlando. They've gone back to the pre-Couric standard of having something that sounds like a generic headline bed instead of a cue with the Evening News signature.

We got to hear the new Special Report music when they broke in to Sunday Morning with a news conference from Orlando. They've gone back to the pre-Couric standard of having something that sounds like a generic headline bed instead of a cue with the Evening News signature.

There is a hint of the new signature in there

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Late to learning about this.

The style they use for the special report is a better fit for the evening news than the frenetic version they're using.

There's potential here - just feels like the main theme arrangement doesn't tell a story, but some of the mixdowns show where it can go with a rework.

Agree Pelley's style needs something more measured.

I don't know whether anyone on here noticed the opens after the Pulse shooting. They used a high, simple, string bed and tied it in with nat sound. It looked and sounded really, really nice. The open they used on Friday was similar, but the music sounded a little different.

Now that I've heard these specialized opens for major stories, I understand – and love – this new theme. I just wish the everyday one was a little less bombastic and without all the jump cuts.

Archived