WGN dropping CW affiliation

mrschimpf

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Former Member 207
Their non-news Twitter account uses the 80's logo with the AT&T Deathstar lookalike; a change back to that would be perfect, though the Eurostile 9 of the 70's works just as well. I think going back referring to the station as 'Television 9' is probably outdated though ;).

They also used that same 80s logo as their Facebook profile picture about a year or so ago too...and yeah, I agree, they'll probably stick with the "WGN" branding.

At this point I'm apt to believe it is indeed a parody account; they never had one during the MyNet era and even with MyNet's complete social media ineptitude I think 'affiliates don't cut us down' is pretty much a standard rule for them.

I have a hard time believing this is an official account.

I don't. This account is awesome.

I'm not from Chicago, and I would deeply regret it it I'm not following.

At this point I'm apt to believe it is indeed a parody account; they never had one during the MyNet era and even with MyNet's complete social media ineptitude I think 'affiliates don't cut us down' is pretty much a standard rule for them.

Welcome to the club. It got lonely before you came in.

Technically the program day starts at 5am so you might want to check then also; that's pretty much the standard operating procedure with cable channel rebrands.

The other thing I'd look for is if they bump the main signal up to 1080i to meet the CW's resolution, which would definitely be outside the norm of Fox being an all-720p shop.

CW seems to be okay with stations being 720p - it's like that here in Baltimore. Here's a list of stations and their resolutions. It looks like most of the 720p stations are Fox duopolies.

CW seems to be okay with stations being 720p - it's like that here in Baltimore. Here's a list of stations and their resolutions. It looks like most of the 720p stations are Fox duopolies.

It's worth mentioning that CW transmits their CW Plus feed in 720p.

WGN just ran a promo saying "NOW...all WGN Sports games can be seen on one channel...WGN9". All of the year's remaining WPWR games have been officially transferred back to WGN. I was wondering if they'd be obligated to keep the remaining September White Sox WPWR games, but nope; those have also been transferred to WGN channel 9 on the whitesox.com official schedule.

• 6 months later...

Little update. And its regarding the new CW station.

Looking at the guides, WPWR has shifted its MyNet programming from 9pm to 11pm (instead of 10pm-12am), after CW programming ends.

And The Simpsons returned to the schedule airing at 5:30pm & 11pm.

The 2nd airing of Harry Connick's program moved from 9pm to 3am.

EDIT: Might as well mention this as well, even though its their sister station.

WFLD's first airing of Extra was moved from 6pm to 3:30pm (former station WMAQ aired the program at 4pm).

Archived