WGN dropping CW affiliation

mrschimpf

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm curious if this switch will affect the simulcast of White Sox and Cubs games on WISH/WNDY down here in Indy. I guess we'll see in a few days.

Probably nothing to fear; that's a whole different contract and it'll be maintained as-is as that was mainly designed to keep those teams' coverage in Indianapolis once WGNA stopped carrying games so the Reds can't claim the full exclusivity they dream of. Worse that happens is that the graphics switch over to WGN's outside of the WLS package.

Not sure if they're trying for funny/friendly or sarcastic/bitchy.

It's probably a very insider joke regarding the "UPNTweets" account which maintained a fiction that the network continues to the present day and remained as cringeworthy as they were in the past. I expect they're testing now but eventually it'll become serious come the 12th.

What is WPWR using now?

Same, just with "WGN Sports on My50" instead of just "WGN Sports" on top of the scoreboard. It was the same with The U. Years ago, the station logo was replaced with Cubsnet, Soxnet and Bullsnet.

Same, just with "WGN Sports on My50" instead of just "WGN Sports" on top of the scoreboard. It was the same with The U. Years ago, the station logo was replaced with Cubsnet, Soxnet and Bullsnet.

They need new sports graphics. Period. Current ones look like something that would come from WFLD.

They need new sports graphics. Period. Current ones look like something that would come from WFLD.

My main beef is that they're so small, especially since they went 16:9. The blandness and simplicity doesn't bother me as much as it should.

UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNFORGETTABLE.

The 11:30 program ended with the My50 bug. A Supergirl promo ran and was followed my a CW50 ID. The midnight show began, with the My50 bug still in place.

Technically the program day starts at 5am so you might want to check then also; that's pretty much the standard operating procedure with cable channel rebrands.

The other thing I'd look for is if they bump the main signal up to 1080i to meet the CW's resolution, which would definitely be outside the norm of Fox being an all-720p shop.

UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNFORGETTABLE.

The 11:30 program ended with the My50 bug. A Supergirl promo ran and was followed my a CW50 ID. The midnight show began, with the My50 bug still in place.

I'm willing to cut them some slack. It's the changing of a 10 yr old network's affiliation from one channel to another and not, for example, the start of a new broadcast network. Hopefully they ramp up the promos, but given it's a Fox-owned CW affiliate, who knows how much effort they are willing to put into stuff like that.

An interesting note from Feder today...

Midnight Thursday marked the return of WGN-Channel 9 to fully independent status after more than two decades of network affiliation. With the move away from The CW Network now official, the Tribune Media station unveiled what a spokeswoman called its “new interim logo.” More local programming is expected to follow. Coinciding with the change, Fox-owned WPWR-Channel 50 picks up CW programming and rebrands itself CW50.

WGN-logo.jpg

Might a larger, broader rebrand/reimaging be coming soon?

Guest Former Member 207

If they went the same route like KTLA and WPIX in branding, WGN will probably go back to a modern version of one of their throwback logos.

If they went the same route like KTLA and WPIX in branding, WGN will probably go back to a modern version of one of their throwback logos.

Their non-news Twitter account uses the 80's logo with the AT&T Deathstar lookalike; a change back to that would be perfect, though the Eurostile 9 of the 70's works just as well. I think going back referring to the station as 'Television 9' is probably outdated though ;).

Archived