WGN dropping CW affiliation

mrschimpf

Maybe Bozo will be relegated to driving around town in a traffic tracker. Long Time Captain Chesapeake at WBFF now appears every morning in their car doing live reports on the roads around town.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Changes are already starting. WGN's current boss Greg Easterly is being promoted to a senior Vice President for Tribune as well as interim GM of WPIX. Larry Wert will lead WGN in the interim... which seems to suggest that the president of Tribune Broadcasting himself wants to oversee the station's transition into independence.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/06/07/tribune-media-sends-wgn-boss-to-new-york/

• 4 weeks later...

I posted this in the General TV thread, but I'm going to post it here for those who may not have seen it. To those wondering about the fate of MNT on WPWR, I spoke to an engineer at the station the other day and they said that the plan is that WPWR will carry CW programming in pattern then syndicated programming from 9-10 p.m. Central Time. After that, MNT shows will air from 10 p.m. until Midnight. Just sharing info here.

I posted this in the General TV thread, but I'm going to post it here for those who may not have seen it. To those wondering about the fate of MNT on WPWR, I spoke to an engineer at the station the other day and they said that the plan is that WPWR will carry CW programming in pattern then syndicated programming from 9-10 p.m. Central Time. After that, MNT shows will air from 10 p.m. until Midnight. Just sharing info here.

Making Chicago as the largest market with dual CW/MyTV affiliation status which is weird for market #3 but sounds normal for market #78 at WKTC 63 in Columbia.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Last Man Standing is coming to WGN this fall. It will be on at 8 and 8:30, following Two and a Half Men at 7 and 7:30. My only question is do they keep Two 1/2 Men for two hours or do they do local programming from 6-7?

I hope they DON'T add a 6pm newscast........

I hope they don't add a 6pm newscast........

It wouldn't surprise me if they move Politics Tonight from CLTV to 6pm on WGN.

But that's only a 1/2 hour show. I rarely watch SportsFeed but this could be their time to shine. (Should they go at 6:30)

Last Man Standing is coming to WGN this fall. It will be on at 8 and 8:30, following Two and a Half Men at 7 and 7:30. My only question is do they keep Two 1/2 Men for two hours or do they do local programming from 6-7?

My guess is 'The Middle' will air from 6-7P....So this is the best they can come up with for the 7-9P block? Best of luck to them with that.

That's the only hint of WGN's new schedule for now. I know that more weekend morning news is coming but exactly how long and when will it debut is unsure.

So even if there's no 6:00pm newscast coming, more news is coming to WGN for sure. No doubt about it.

That's the only hint of WGN's new schedule for now. I know that more weekend morning news is coming but exactly how long and when will it debut is unsure.

So even if there's no 6:00pm newscast coming, more news is coming to WGN for sure. No doubt about it.

I hope it's not the CLTV guys that we see now on weekend mornings.

Could it be possible that WGN could be the charter O&O of WGN America? They're really expanding on their primetime offerings, would make sense for the home station to air those.

• 4 weeks later...
Looking at the guides (and to no surprise) WPWR will be airing MyNet programming from 10pm to Midnight on the 1st. The Simpsons will air as a bridge between the CW/MyNet blocks at 9pm starting Labor Day.

I saw that How I Met Your Mother is moving from WPWR to WCIU, so that opens up one of the hours for the CW.

It's going to be an interesting week ahead for both WGN & WPWR.

Monday: WPWR will air a WGN Sox game (not sure if it's the last WGN game that'll air on 50).

Tuesday: While WGN airs a Cubs game at Wrigley, WPWR will air The CW programming (Flash/MadTV) in primetime.

Thursday: The first night of independence on 9, Two episodes of Friends at 7, followed by a repeat of its Sunday night local program Chicago's Best at 8.

Looking at the guides (and to no surprise) WPWR will be airing MyNet programming from 10pm to Midnight on the 1st. The Simpsons will air as a bridge between the CW/MyNet blocks at 9pm starting Labor Day.

Follow-up.

Looks like The Simpsons placement will be a temporary one. Once Harry Connick's program starts, it'll have a second airing at 9pm on 50 (1st airing will be at 4pm on 32).

Archived