WGN dropping CW affiliation

mrschimpf

The CW is gone from WGN in September. Robert Feder just posted the story; WPWR is getting the CW and I'm guessing Fox is officially over their snub. Bet on a domino effect involving CLTV and MyNetworkTV with WGN going back to an all-local schedule (unless WGN is making a graveyard shift exchange for MyNet with Fox).

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait, so Trib's other CW affiliations remain, but 'GN loses it? How does that happen?

I'm guessing he was just focused on Chicago; we'll definitely hear more in the morning and days to come with the rest of them.

I am shocked, shocked I say! That any station would drop the ratings gravy train that is The CW Network. :rolleyes:

The writing has been on the wall for years. Tribune hasn't been happy with The CW and this is probably just the first of their stations to drop the affiliation. This is 100% financial-based and WGN likely stands to make more money without the affiliation than with it.

WGN seems like one of the very few TV stations that could survive as a true independent in this day and age, I hope they can make a go of it.

Agreed. And I'm sure Fox is getting plenty of money to get WPWR on board; it both keeps it out of the spectrum auction and still relevant (the CW is probably 'at least it's not WJYS!' right now :p). WGN can also try to make a go at trying to convince the Ricketts not to go the all-team network route when the latest Cubs deal expires in 2019.

YES!!!! I've waited to hear this news for years. 9 thrived as an Indy before the WB, 9 can thrive post-CW!

Also, no need to air some of their primetime sporting games on Channel 50 anymore either.

Or on WCIU Channel 26, unless if WGN still needs a conflict station for another home for WGN Sports in which cause WCIU can continue to be that home. Amazed that WGN is still one of the rare stations in this country to carry live local sporting events, let alone carry 4/5ths of Chicago sports teams (Bears being exception).

I am shocked, shocked I say! That any station would drop the ratings gravy train that is The CW Network. :rolleyes:

The writing has been on the wall for years. Tribune hasn't been happy with The CW and this is probably just the first of their stations to drop the affiliation. This is 100% financial-based and WGN likely stands to make more money without the affiliation than with it.

WGN seems like one of the very few TV stations that could survive as a true independent in this day and age, I hope they can make a go of it.

Said as much in the Out and About thread. They'll be fine.

Although it's been a while, I watched WGN occasionally when they simulcasted their news during the superstation/pre-WGN America days, and the CW just seemed out of place for them.

I'm guessing he was just focused on Chicago; we'll definitely hear more in the morning and days to come with the rest of them.

Feder's article did say Trubune is keeping the CW on its other 12 current stations, to include WPIX and KTLA.

Or on WCIU Channel 26, unless if WGN still needs a conflict station for another home for WGN Sports in which cause WCIU can continue to be that home. Amazed that WGN is still one of the rare stations in this country to carry live local sporting events, let alone carry 4/5ths of Chicago sports teams (Bears being exception).

They don't use WCIU, anymore. All three teams' overflows went to WPWR. WCIU is friendlier with WLS and WBBM, these days, with the ABC 7 newscast and regular CBS 2 News commercials during other parts of the day.

Feder's article did say Trubune is keeping the CW on its other 12 current stations, to include WPIX and KTLA.

Wrong.

"Tribune Media still owns CW affiliates in 12 other markets, including New York and Los Angeles."

That doesn't mean its keeping The CW there either. It just says it owns The CW affiliates in those markets, but it doesn't say its electing to keep the affiliations on those stations.

Wrong.

"Tribune Media still owns CW affiliates in 12 other markets, including New York and Los Angeles."

That doesn't mean its keeping The CW there either. It just says it owns The CW affiliates in those markets, but it doesn't say its electing to keep the affiliations on those stations.

with that said and everything else that's happening, this raises hope for me to see WPIX go indy again. Last saturday night felt like an indy station of sorts, mets baseball at 4p, broadway boxing live from brooklyn circa 7:30p. And Weeters' right, writing's on the wall. What makes you think tribune's playing around? One shot at least fired. Next?

Wrong.

Ok, Trump. It certainly implies it "Tribune Media still owns CW affiliates in 12 other markets, including New York and Los Angeles." Of course Trib still owns the stations. No one mentioned ownership change, rather, WGN dropping the CW.

The only reason why WGN's games were aired on WCIU (and now WPWR) was because of network pre-emption limitations. The network would give a station certain amount of pre-emption hours per season, and WGN couldn't go over that. That's why all those overflow games aired on 26/50.

Without a network affiliation, there's no need for a conflict station because they can air ALL their games exclusively on one station.

If WGN settled as an independent station, could we possibly see WGN back on cable like how it was back in the 1990s and all? Of course this is highly unlikely if they pick up MyNet.

Huh? Are you referring to WGN - TV or WGN America? WGN America was launched back on cable in Chicago when they dropped its status as a superstation.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/12/15/wgn-america-comes-home-to-chicago/

That said, The CW is doing better than they have in a long time. They seem to have stumbled upon a programming mix that is working for them. Not the strongest of ratings by any means, but at least they're no longer the "holy cow, The CW is still around?!?" network. People actually intentionally tune into The CW for some of the (many) DC Comics shows they carry.

Archived