WABC New Graphics

Roadgeek Adam

I don't think it's as bad as some people think either. I don't think it's great, but I do think it's a solid look for an in-house design team.

Unfortunately, they were done out of house...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a big eyewitness news fan but these graphics are a mess.

The 11pm show is also a mess. Everything is "New at 11" or "Developing" or "Breaking News" accompanied by these sweeping graphics coming across the screen. It's too much and it's too sloppy. I am telling you it's enough to make me sample WNBC on some nights.

The 11pm show is also a mess. Everything is "New at 11" or "Developing" or "Breaking News" accompanied by these sweeping graphics coming across the screen. It's too much and it's too sloppy. I am telling you it's enough to make me sample WNBC on some nights.

Completely agree. I hate that every story is accompanied by a dumb stinger.

Opens: 10/10

Bug: 0/10

Graphics: 4/10

Station's Graphics as a while: 6/10

I agree with the opens. The opens, I think, are the best part of this package. I wouldn't give the bug a 0, though. Maybe a 2 or a 3. And I agree with some on here that say that the L3s are very CNN-ish. And they aren't that good.

They labeled Bill Ritter's college degree as "breaking news." Seriously.

The style is fine. However, the scaling is all wrong. Even in the analog days, WABC's elements were too big, and now, in the HD era, they still seem to be catering to visually impaired viewers through elements at 150% of the size they need to be.

The style is fine. However, the scaling is all wrong. Even in the analog days, WABC's elements were too big, and now, in the HD era, they still seem to be catering to visually impaired viewers through elements at 150% of the size they need to be.

I agree and that's their problem, the scaling is just too big. If they reduced the scale of the fonts that alone would make the graphics so much better. Its little details like that that they should've paid attention to before releasing these graphics. And I agree with wabceyewitness and AA55, the "New at 11" and the rest of those stingers are so annoying. Every story to have that opening stinger is crazy lol. Reminds me of a tabloid broadcast like something that Fox 5 would do.

• 1 month later...
Wow so I mean I thought FOX had the worst graphics... and this just in, WABC loves you ARIAL BLACK.... It's ARIAL all around as the font... Just basic.

I totally agree and I actually lauged when I read this... I would expect a font like Arial to be used in a low-level market area.. But in the #1 market?? So tacky...

WABC is actually using Azkidenz Grotesk. It's somewhat similar to Arial - Arial's a weird mashup of it and Helvetica - but it's not the same thing. It's actually fittingly New York, as it was the font used for Subway signage until the 1990s.

If we are going to talk fonts you might consider for a research paper on newscast presentation let me throw Times New Roman out there as a great choice both on air and in the classroom... :D

Archived