WABC New Graphics

Roadgeek Adam

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know the weather graphics have been refreshed over the years but this is the first time in quite a while the icons and font have been updated. Correct?

Correct, especially the original weather icons/symbols. They've been virtually the same since 1999.

Sighs still not overly impressed oh well. In fact it looks a bit boring to me to be honest. I actually think it's a step back. But I guess that's the trend now the "flatness" and minimalism is in now. The HD / flashiness craze of the late 2000s is well behind us now. I can't say I hate it but I don't love it neither. They gotta get rid of that abc7NY logo because that's ridiculously ugly in my opinion. Otherwise I think it's really nice. Still can't believe they're still on that music though. They gotta let go of it! They've been through so many graphics, and set changes with the same package. I haven't seen the weather graphics yet but to be honest I really don't like these new graphics. Not a fan at all their previous look was better in my opinion. Guess I'll have to wait 4 years to see a new change lol. Maybe in 2020 they'll get it right! :)

Now don't get me wrong the graphics aren't horrible, they are nice but personally I don't like them. I think they are a bit subpar for New York. Looks like something I'd see maybe in a smaller market. Saw a clip from AccuWeather everything is nice but the 7 Day Forecast. I didn't know kindergarteners were also viewers of Eyewitness News with those cute weather graphics lol. But it's always good to start them young right? Honestly the weather graphics especially for the 7 day could be better haha. So once again, it's nice but certainly still needs work. Now comparing these with KABC it looks similar perhaps the same company that did KABC in 2015 did WABCs?

Here's what the the sports scores, the lottery, and close looks like.

[GALLERY=media, 814]WABC sports courtesy by RGSJenkins posted May 4, 2016 at 11:59 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 815]WABC score by RGSJenkins posted May 5, 2016 at 12:00 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 816]WABC lottery by RGSJenkins posted May 5, 2016 at 12:01 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 817]WABC close by RGSJenkins posted May 5, 2016 at 12:02 AM[/GALLERY]

This is garbage. Seriously. No other way to put it.

If this debut on a Sinclair station in some small market, it would be torn apart and called the worst graphics package ever. But I guess since it's on ~WABC~ some of you will give it a pass...

I fully expect this package will be updated in the next few months.

The opens are good but the rest of it looks pretty rough and boring, and that's coming from someone who likes minimal design. A recolored version of the KABC graphics would have looked much better.

It lacks any of the detail that was given to the WLS package. The bug is poorly designed and the 7-Day looks flat. This is reminiscent of the former Raycom graphics white simplicity:

[MEDIA=vimeo]87894231[/MEDIA]

the time and temp bug just doesn't suit at all

It's like they just took the bug used for GMA.

I'm not really a fan of the look. For some reason I also feel talent opens are a waste of time and are a somewhat dated tradition.

Not a bad refresh.. But come on.. Get rid of the Helvetica/Arial/CNN whatever it's called now font... So dated...

That's the thing. I don't know what they're using. It's like this weird cross-breed of Helvetica and Gotham. One or the other would've been better.

This is awful. Cheap ripoff of KTRK. Most of the in-show elements look like they were designed in paint. I think I know who designed this too and I really wish people would stop giving them work... they are cheapening the broadcast design industry with garbage like this.

So, with a little poking around, I figured out the "new" font. Turns out they're using what was once the official typeface of New York City Transit (or something incredibly similar). That doesn't make up for the general cheap feel of the package, but it is kind of a cool nod of the city's history.

AkzidenzGroteskspecAIB1.svg

Man, these graphics suck! Comparing these graphics to KABC or WLS, I just don't understand what happened... Back to the drawing board.

WABC

KABC

WLS

I'm shocked at how bad this is, honestly. These graphics look like they were made in PowerPoint. Especially the weather graphics -- the black lines, the clip-art icons, the Arial font -- totally looks like trash. This would pass for a high school TV studio or maybe event a small sized network, but this is not the quality befitting the number one station in the nation.

Archived