Ft. Wayne affiliation switches: WPTA and WISE

TheRolyPoly

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only logo that stood out to me through all these Quincy changes was the WEEK's 25 logo. And only because it looked similar to the WKOW/WREX logos. Other than that, Quincy isn't any different than Nexstar in "recycling" blandish logos.

I'm also surprise that the station decided to go super-generic and use the "ABC 21" branding, instead of using one of their other similar brandings used by its sister stations ("21 News" or "WPTA News" (which I thought they were going to use that)). I understand that the "Alive" branding is extremely outdated in today's time. But the "21 Alive" brand still has some resonance with viewers in Northeast Indiana, the same way as "Action News" in Binghamton. If WXIA can still use 11 Alive, why can't WPTA keep it? I can care less how long they've used it.

You do have to give kudos to Quincy for pouring in the dough to modernize the acquired stations (something it's previous owner did not do). But i'm not thrilled of stripping legacy brandings away from its stations in the process. I guess they probably cared less about them.

How long have WAOW used the "Newsline 9" branding? Surprised they haven't stripped that too.

This is all dead on. I think people in my area will feel totally alienated with this sudden change in branding. When viewers turn their TVs to WPTA on 11/3, they won't even recognize the channel! It's all a nice change--the stations are in dire need of an upgrade--but it almost feels like too much change all at once. Even the blue color scheme which has been used for an eternity is gone. I would say viewers would turn to WANE, but they were just bought by Nexstar so who knows what will happen to them. Again I know some inside WPTA--the website is changing. My next question would be when is the NBC set going live? Same day?

The only constant thing in life unfortunately is change. I'm interested to see what they have up their sleeve.

-- Matt

Don't get me wrong--I'm psyched to see the changes. It's been long overdue and the new set for ABC looks like it will be a MASSIVE lead forward in the Fort Wayne market. It'll just take the stubborn residents of NE Indiana some time ;).

The only constant thing in life unfortunately is change. I'm interested to see what they have up their sleeve.

-- Matt

I bet in a few years when the whole thing falls flat on it's arse, then they will bring back the old logo and branding and call it...

Retro (insert branding here) 21....or whatever.

Some idiot will get a bonus for the failure too.

I bet in a few years when the whole thing falls flat on it's arse, then they will bring back the old logo and branding and call it...

Retro (insert branding here) 21....or whatever.

Some idiot will get a bonus for the failure too.

From Today's 21 Alive.

I'm watching 21.2 "Fort Wayne's NBC" and they are sporting teasers for the new newscasts with the set. They launch November 14th.

Edited: Some cell phone pics.

o0o5l1.jpg

2i22bfn.jpg

Nice catch! I do like the new logo. Well that answers my question--the NBC launch will be after the ABC launch. And that is the CBS Duluth set :(. Oh well, it's miles ahead what they had before.

That logo just looks like it's for a station called "Fort Wayne's" with an NBC peacock to fill the empty space.

I understand why they are using that branding ... to distance themselves from WISE as much as humanly possible.

But "Fort Wayne's NBC" just doesn't sound right... what was wrong with "NBC Fort Wayne"?

I'm watching 21.2 "Fort Wayne's NBC" and they are sporting teasers for the new newscasts with the set. They launch November 14th.

Edited: Some cell phone pics.

o0o5l1.jpg

2i22bfn.jpg

Looks like they'll be using the NBC version of the graphics previously used on WKOW.

WPTA has announced new newscast times. "Weekend a.m. newscasts will launch on Nov. 12. Saturday morning news airs from 6-8 a.m. and Sunday morning, we are on from 6-7 a.m. and again from 8-9 a.m. Anchor announcement will be forthcoming. The 4:30 a.m. Weekday broadcast begins on Tuesday, Nov. 8." They've also said Fort Wayne's NBC will air weekday newscasts from 5-7 a.m., 5-5:30 p.m., 6-6:30 p.m., 11-11:35 p.m. ... and weekend news from 6-6:30 p.m. and 11-11:30 p.m. That's a lot more news for a market like Fort Wayne.

WPTA has announced new newscast times. "Weekend a.m. newscasts will launch on Nov. 12. Saturday morning news airs from 6-8 a.m. and Sunday morning, we are on from 6-7 a.m. and again from 8-9 a.m. Anchor announcement will be forthcoming. The 4:30 a.m. Weekday broadcast begins on Tuesday, Nov. 8." They've also said Fort Wayne's NBC will air weekday newscasts from 5-7 a.m., 5-5:30 p.m., 6-6:30 p.m., 11-11:35 p.m. ... and weekend news from 6-6:30 p.m. and 11-11:30 p.m. That's a lot more news for a market like Fort Wayne.

I asked for that information myself and I can tell you saw my post with 21Alive on Facebook. I'll be reporting on this shortly and it will pop up later on my blog.

I asked for that information myself and I can tell you saw my post with 21Alive on Facebook. I'll be reporting on this shortly and it will pop up later on my blog.

Ah, I didn't make the connection and realize it was you! My apologies. I didn't think anyone would be interested enough in some little station in Indiana ;)

Wait! WPTA will have a 4:30am newscast?!? Why?!? It's overkill, especially since a few markets down, no Youngstown station starts before 5AM, despite Youngstown being between two cities.

Interestingly enough, this ad just aired but the ending said "Coming soon" instead of "November 3rd." Hmm.

Yep, the launch has been delayed. My guide shows the "ABC21" newscasts beginning on November 7, which would match up with the 4:30am newscast launching the following day.

Yep, the launch has been delayed. My guide shows the "ABC21" newscasts beginning on November 7, which would match up with the 4:30am newscast launching the following day.

It's launching November 8th, election day.

Wait! WPTA will have a 4:30am newscast?!? Why?!? It's overkill, especially since a few markets down, no Youngstown station starts before 5AM, despite Youngstown being between two cities.

And yes, WPTA will be the first in the market to do so. Don't be surprised because one market higher is Sioux Falls, SD and they have 4:30am news (KELOLand). So does one market lower with Augusta also having 4:30am news (WJBF and WRDW) In fact, four markets lower than Ft. Wayne all have 4:30am news and includes Augusta, Reno (KTVN and KOLO), Lansing (both WLNS and WILX) and Springfield, MA (WWLP).

I don't know if they've "officially" launched it yet, but the new website is live at wpta21.com . The old website 21alive.com still works too though...

Wished they hurry up and get rid of the rest of the Granite websites...... Quincy should've done this prior to the August channel shuffle.

Archived