Ft. Wayne affiliation switches: WPTA and WISE

TheRolyPoly

I think the NBC subchannel will be called "Fort Wayne's NBC" because Quincy has a couple of postings up with this title.

http://www.careersatquincy.com/story/32344826/local-sales-manager-fort-waynes-nbc

They did build new studios (I actually was in Fort Wayne a couple of weeks ago and drove by the stations, it looked like two large additions were made.)

http://www.careersatquincy.com/story/32497544/news-director-wpta

Edited: WPTA is looking for a new news director. In the job description it has: "Just for news, we’re adding over 7,500 square feet, new studios, two new sets, new graphics and new control rooms."

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just spent the last 3 days at WPTA, so I have some insider knowledge :). WPTA 21 Alive will transition to the name "WPTA 21" or something like that (they're apparently dropping the "Alive" branding) and 21.2 will become "Fort Wayne's NBC". Both stations are getting new studios and will have separate news teams, with some collaboration remaining. 21 Alive's studio and graphics will look identical to the Quincy station in Madison and this one in Duluth: http://www.newscaststudio.com/2016/07/20/minnesota-nbc-upgrades-studio-help-fx-design-group/ . Not sure what the NBC studio will look like. The new looks will launch in October or November. Apparently Quincy is investing the same amount of money on the NBC side as the ABC, which shocks me.

It would be shame if they eliminate its 38-year "21 Alive" branding.

I would've thought that they would at least have one new set and have the newscast simulcasted on both ABC & NBC streams. But Quincy making investments making two separate sets for both streams (also in Duluth) is nothing short of remarkable (especially in a small market like Fort Wayne).

It would be kind of premature to implement new brands without finishing installing the new sets/graphics, but I feel they need to promote their new NBC channel placement like hell. Because come August 5th (the date the Olympic coverage starts), certain folks unaware of the change would go to 33.1 and see that there's no NBC, creating confusion.

Dropping "21 Alive" is just not good. To me "21 Alive" sounds better than WPTA 21. At least Quincy is making investments in the Fort Wayne market.

I'm guessing that in Quincy's eyes, "21 Alive" reeks of Granite's subpar stewardship of the station. Although "WPTA 21" does sound generic, it's Quincy's way of putting its stamp in Fort Wayne.

It would be shame if they eliminate its 38-year "21 Alive" branding.

I would've thought that they would at least have one new set and have the newscast simulcasted on both ABC & NBC streams. But Quincy making investments making two separate sets for both streams (also in Duluth) is nothing short of remarkable (especially in a small market like Fort Wayne).

It would be kind of premature to implement new brands without finishing installing the new sets/graphics, but I feel they need to promote their new NBC channel placement like hell. Because come August 5th (the date the Olympic coverage starts), certain folks unaware of the change would go to 33.1 and see that there's no NBC, creating confusion.

Forget OTA viewers! Come August 5th, some folks who have satellite will tune to whatever position that WISE is currently on (33 on Dish/Directv) and find CW programming. What I'd like to know is if "WPTA 21.2 NBC" will take WISE's Comcast position on 13/HD 1013 or take the CW's position on 19.

I'm guessing that in Quincy's eyes, "21 Alive" reeks of Granite's subpar stewardship of the station. Although "WPTA 21" does sound generic, it's Quincy's way of putting its stamp in Fort Wayne.

The "Alive" branding was one of the worst ever to come out of the 70's.

It's very difficult to work within, most people found it "cheesy", and not uplifting at all.

As far as the people not finding NBC when the Olympics roll around....

Don't worry....they will find the new ch no problem. Those that cannot find the channel probably should not be around electricity anyway.

The "Alive" branding was one of the worst ever to come out of the 70's.

It's very difficult to work within, most people found it "cheesy", and not uplifting at all.

As far as the people not finding NBC when the Olympics roll around....

Don't worry....they will find the new ch no problem. Those that cannot find the channel probably should not be around electricity anyway.

Bizarre as it sounds, 'Alive' worked for 'PTA going all the way back to when Combined Communications/Gannett owned them, and the station was #1 all the way until the Granite junk bond machine started running it into the ground.

I have mixed feelings about the changes. It is good to see that Quincy is willing to invest in their stations--even those that have low viewership (cough cough NBC in Ft. Wayne). But it seems like this is too much change too fast. I can see people flocking from WPTA to WANE in Fort Wayne in a heartbeat. There has already been a mass exodus of on-air personalities. Dropping the "Alive" branding will be interesting...people in the area will likely continue to refer to the station as "21 Alive"--they did after the change to "Indiana's Newscenter"

Bizarre as it sounds, 'Alive' worked for 'PTA going all the way back to when Combined Communications/Gannett owned them, and the station was #1 all the way until the Granite junk bond machine started running it into the ground.

There is an old saying in TV....

"Our branding is great...

As long as we can afford it."

With the "Alive" branding leaving WPTA, does anyone else besides WXIA still use it? I know that WXIA is still "11 Alive"

I just spent the last 3 days at WPTA, so I have some insider knowledge :). WPTA 21 Alive will transition to the name "WPTA 21" or something like that (they're apparently dropping the "Alive" branding) and 21.2 will become "Fort Wayne's NBC". Both stations are getting new studios and will have separate news teams, with some collaboration remaining. 21 Alive's studio and graphics will look identical to the Quincy station in Madison and this one in Duluth: http://www.newscaststudio.com/2016/07/20/minnesota-nbc-upgrades-studio-help-fx-design-group/ . Not sure what the NBC studio will look like. The new looks will launch in October or November. Apparently Quincy is investing the same amount of money on the NBC side as the ABC, which shocks me.

Thanks. I was under the impression that the two studios were being built for 21 & 33, not 21.1 and 21.2? Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

In fact here's this quote from this article: http://www.news-sentinel.com/news/local/Restructuring-at-WPTA--WISE-on-schedule-for-Aug--1-debut

“Both will be significantly powerful stations,” Oakley said. “But what you will see are two very distinct news platforms, one for WPTA and another for WISE, but I am sure there will (be) some collaboration.”

Thanks. I was under the impression that the two studios were being built for 21 & 33, not 21.1 and 21.2? Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

In fact here's this quote from this article: http://www.news-sentinel.com/news/local/Restructuring-at-WPTA--WISE-on-schedule-for-Aug--1-debut

“Both will be significantly powerful stations,” Oakley said. “But what you will see are two very distinct news platforms, one for WPTA and another for WISE, but I am sure there will (be) some collaboration.”

33, also known as WISE, is now owned by a completely different company, SagamoreHill. As part of the deal, NBC will move from 33 to 21.2. So news will be produced on 21.1 and 21.2, ABC and NBC. I think 33 is getting CW affiliation and SagamoreHill has no plans to produce news on that channel.

According to the article, it says that WPTA will still operate WISE under a SSA. If that was going to be the case, why did WISE have to swap out NBC for the CW? I was under the impression that SagamoreHill was going to COMPLETELY operate WISE without help from Quincy.

According to the article, it says that WPTA will still operate WISE under a SSA. If that was going to be the case, why did WISE have to swap out NBC for the CW? I was under the impression that SagamoreHill was going to COMPLETELY operate WISE without help from Quincy.

I think they're referring to the NBC operation as WISE in these local pieces.

Adam Shear from WSJV has just been named Sports Director for, according to the press release, NBC33 and will make his debut in a week or two on NBC33 News at 6. The problem is there won't be an NBC33. So will he be at WISE CW33 or "Fort Wayne's NBC?"

Adam Shear from WSJV has just been named Sports Director for, according to the press release, NBC33 and will make his debut in a week or two on NBC33 News at 6. The problem is there won't be an NBC33. So will he be at WISE CW33 or "Fort Wayne's NBC?"

Fort Wayne's NBC, I guess?

Stupid it may seem, but I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the NBC33 branding post OTA channel move, until all the new cosmetics (set, graphics, etc.) get implemented later this year.

But again if I was them, they should implement at least the new brand next week, to alleviate channel confusion.

Sure sounds like Quincy is essentially transferring Shear over to 21.2, given everything going on at WSJV.

Stupid it may seem, but I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the NBC33 branding post OTA channel move, until all the new cosmetics (set, graphics, etc.) get implemented later this year.

But again if I was them, they should implement at least the new brand next week, to alleviate channel confusion.

Or do what KBMT did with their NBC subchannel and use the long-defunct calls of a previous affiliate, branding it "WKJG NBC."

Or do what KBMT did with their NBC subchannel and use the long-defunct calls of a previous affiliate, branding it "WKJG NBC."

I really hope they don't do this. Another thing I forgot to mention: apparently the ABC side will be getting an outdoor weather deck. Do any other Quincy stations have this? I know other stations like KUSA do it but it seems a little strange, considering it will be practically unusable in the winter.

I really hope they don't do this. Another thing I forgot to mention: apparently the ABC side will be getting an outdoor weather deck. Do any other Quincy stations have this? I know other stations like KUSA do it but it seems a little strange, considering it will be practically unusable in the winter.

Forget that...

How about getting a sponsor to put a hot tub in?

A good promo person could milk the hell out of that.

This is kind of related but not the answer to your question, but you just brought out a memory from me. Years ago WISE (then WKJG) used to have what was called "The 33 Outdoor Super Computer" (or something like this.) Greg Shoup would do his newscasts against a bluescreen that was kind of propped up like a billboard outside. I remember seeing that when I was real young. You could even see traffic on the road behind him. This was in the early 1990s. I even remember he would have his thick black coat on doing the weather like this.

WRTV in Indianapolis also had "Backyard weather" or something a few years ago. I don't think they use it anymore but I think they did it out in the winter too (not as often as in the spring/summer/fall.)

Archived