Ft. Wayne affiliation switches: WPTA and WISE

TheRolyPoly

Had to wait 9 months after the completed sale... August 1st is the date:

http://www.news-sentinel.com/news/local/Restructuring-at-WPTA--WISE-on-schedule-for-Aug--1-debut

WPTA 21.1 - ABC

WPTA 21.2 - NBC

WPTA 21.3 - TBD (either stays with Weather or becomes MyTV which moves from WISE 33.2)

WISE 33.1 - CW (under CW Plus)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or in other words, "we'll keep all the good stuff and leave the new buyer just some scraps".

That said, I kinda understand what's going on. Television isn't the sustaining business it used to be. Many smaller markets or Rust Belt areas can probably only support two, maybe three TV newsrooms now.

Why can't they wait just another month, until after the Olympics?

As a condition of that Quincy/Granite sale, the JSA was only good for nine months after closing, and then afterwards it would be terminated. That is a very interesting timing of the change to, as the Olympics would start a few days later.

Isn't the same thing supposed to happen with KDLH and KBJR in Duluth? The same owners (Quincy & SagamoreHill) are involved and were also Granite/Malara stations as well...

Yes it is. The CBS affil is moving from KDLH to a sub of KBJR. The CW will be moved from the sub to the main channel on KDLH.

I hope the "21 Alive" branding is staying put after all of these changes.

Isn't the same thing supposed to happen with KDLH and KBJR in Duluth? The same owners (Quincy & SagamoreHill) are involved and were also Granite/Malara stations as well...

As CircleSeven as mentioned, yes. However, I don't know whether it will take place on the same day or earlier or afterwards.

And who will take over then? Marshall, Mission, or anyone else?

Save for some reporters and logistical support WTVH is separate from WSTM at this point. If anything I see Heartland or Lilly swooping in, possibly as an outside guess Gray.

Media General must sell it off since Nexstar cannot acquire it. Gray has said they are not interested in the divestments, Sinclair is maxed out, who is left for a smallish market station?

It could go either way. WANE is far stronger than WFFT and conventional wisdom would have WFFT being sold off. Another possibility could be WFFT being absorbed into WANE. This would give it scale with WPTA's new arrangement. Also, either station could fetch some auction proceeds depending on who gets auctioned off...

It could go either way. WANE is far stronger than WFFT and conventional wisdom would have WFFT being sold off. Another possibility could be WFFT being absorbed into WANE. This would give it scale with WPTA's new arrangement. Also, either station could fetch some auction proceeds depending on who gets auctioned off...
Reguardless of the outcome, and I've sort of mentioned this in the Nexstar thread, I think that more than likely, Nexstar (when it becomes Nexstar Media) will get NBC affiliations in some of its (Nexstar Media's) markets, (KTVX will yank the NBC affiliation from KSL, and either WANE or WFFT could get an NBC affiliation on one of their subchannels depending on which station Nexstar keeps for example) particularly the larger ones

Reguardless of the outcome, and I've sort of mentioned this in the Nexstar thread, I think that more than likely, Nexstar (when it becomes Nexstar Media) will get NBC affiliations in some of its (Nexstar Media's) markets, (KTVX will yank the NBC affiliation from KSL, and either WANE or WFFT could get an NBC affiliation on one of their subchannels depending on which station Nexstar keeps for example) particularly the larger ones

Again, what is your reasoning behind this?

Again, what is your reasoning behind this?
NBC has as good relations with Nexstar as Fox does with Sinclair, and because once the merger is complete, they will have lots of bargaining power to get NBC to affiliate with any of their larger stations, and it helps that Sook is a member of the NBC affiliate relations group

The recent power-grab affiliation swaps have been the bigger companies exerting their leverage over the little guys. In WHAG's case, NBC itself pulled the trigger because they already had their own station in the market.

Now if stations' contracts are up or past renewal, and have no deal...AND someone else is waiting in the wings to offer something better....THAT'S when stuff will happen.

I figued, and so did a few other people. Only, what about WFFT?

From what I hear, they'll be sold off to who ever is willing to buy. Just like WTHI in Terre Haute.

We've also been told that WLFI will be spun off, still not sure why on LFI though.

• 2 months later...

Archived