Mike Tirico to leave ESPN for NBC (Report)

mvcg66b3r

“Monday Night Football” lead play-by-play announcer Mike Tirico is reportedly leaving ESPN for NBC Sports.

Tirico, who has been with ESPN since 1991, is expected to be the lead play-by-play voice on NBC’s new “Thursday Night Football” package of five late-season games, according to Sports Business Daily.

SBD sites “several sources” and says Sean McDonough is a leading candidate to replace Tirico on “MNF.” Tirico also calls major championship golf and tennis, the NBA Playoffs, college basketball and football. Tirico has been the voice of “MNF” since 2006.

http://www.thewrap.com/monday-night-football-mike-tirico-espn-nbc/

Damn. That's a huge blow to ESPN. Tirico and Gruden are the best A-team in the business after Michaels and Collinsworth.

The sad thing is that Tirico and Gruden are mediocre at times... They certainly are not an orthodox pair...

The sad thing is that Tirico and Gruden are mediocre at times... They certainly are not an orthodox pair...

Frankly, I think their night and day personalities added to their appeal. A straight man like Tirico is best with a goober like Gruden by his side. Cris Collinsworth or whoever NBC comes up with might not be a good match, so it's a risky proposal.

• 2 weeks later...

Sean McDonough is also confirmed to be the new MNF Play by Play.

This indirectly confirms that Brad Nessler will be heading to CBS, since I'm sure the Monday Night Football job would have gone to him if he were sticking around. I've always enjoyed Sean McDonough calling college football games, so I'm looking forward to him on MNF this upcoming season.

Not sure if anyone should be reading too much into this—I'm sure both Tirico and Nessler saw they were rapidly approaching the pinnacle of their ESPN tenures and needed to make the jump to greener pastures. Tirico especially, given that he'll be heir apparent to both Al Michaels and Bob Costas over at NBC Sports.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived