Green Screen Question

jbnews

I hope this is the right thread for this. But, I have a question. When creating a news studio relying on green screens of different shapes and sizes, is it possible to put different videos/pictures on different screens while all in the same camera shot? If so, what are the free programs the enable one to do this? Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Sorry to bump this thread...

Is there a way to keep the background on the green screen in one spot, so it doesn't move or cut some of it off when you move the camera around?

When doing chroma key ("green screen"), the background (generally) doesn't move when the camera moves - it's anything that is in front of the green (or blue) screen that would appear to move.

(I say generally, because technically, the down markers and such in football are a specialized type of chroma key that detects camera position, so that the markers move when the camera moves. Also, I expect that the chroma key used in movies and TV production could use cameras that can transmit back their movements so that the CG backgrounds can be rendered later to correspond to the movement.)

Basically, what's happening with the type of chroma key used in TV news is that anything that is that shade of green (or blue) is "keyed out" - replaced with content from the computer. The computer doesn't have a clue about camera position or anything like that... it's a very dumb process, it just goes "green/blue = content from computer."

Sorry to bump this thread...

Is there a way to keep the background on the green screen in one spot, so it doesn't move or cut some of it off when you move the camera around?

If you want to invest in a virtual reality system and robotic cameras or encoded tripod heads, yes.

You can also do motion tracking in post production if you're not doing the key live.

I am not doing the keying live. Is there a way to do the motion tracking in After Effects?

It shouldn't be too hard....it would just be a matter of keyframing the background *just right* to line up with the camera movement. I would follow up by saying that it'd be a process of trial and error, but that would probably be true only for folks like me with basic AE knowledge....

YouTube is your friend.

Seriously, there are a million 12-year-olds with too much time on their hands who post awesome tutorials for pretty much everything on YouTube. It's basically how I learned all the skills that got me the job I have today...

I always wanted to meet the guy that washes the Storm Ranger...

From another former "604" user...

(Sorry...but I just couldn't pass that one up...it was tooo easy.)

I always wanted to meet the guy that washes the Storm Ranger...

From another former "604" user...

(Sorry...but I just couldn't pass that one up...it was tooo easy.)

Especially while it’s radiating.

• 4 months later...

I'm trying to do Green Screen tracking on HitFilm Express and it is not working right. I tired the Autodesk Matchmover and everything. Is there a way to keep or lock your background so when you zoom in/out, pan around, the image or video doesn't move, and the parts that were cut off don't magically appear? This HAS to be basic. I know it. I just can't figure it out. It's driving me nuts.

Archived