CBS O&O changes

C Block

I love how KPIX didn't pick up the updated evening theme (KCBS) However they did slow down the 11pm open to incorporate the intro but was able to blend in well

Also on the weekdays the 5pm always opens cold with the Judge Judy Credits so this clip posted above is the Noon and 5pm (Weekend Open)

Interesting note that they dropped San Jose out of the picture and added Oakland with Lake Merritt.

I still haven't woke up early to catch the morning opens.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love how KPIX didn't pick up the updated evening theme (KCBS) However they did slow down the 11pm open to incorporate the intro but was able to blend in well

Also on the weekdays the 5pm always opens cold with the Judge Judy Credits so this clip posted above is the Noon and 5pm (Weekend Open)

Interesting note that they dropped San Jose out of the picture and added Oakland with Lake Merritt.

I still haven't woke up early to catch the morning opens.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. It's the same open as before isn't it?

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. It's the same open as before isn't it?

The 11pm open isn't rushed like the other opens with the shortend theme and is able to fit the whole song like in the previous graphics with the psycho shower stabbing scene screeching when the song starts

The 11pm open isn't rushed like the other opens with the shortend theme and is able to fit the whole song like in the previous graphics with the psycho shower stabbing scene screeching when the song starts

The open you posted is the 11pm open from the old graphics. Heck, that video was posted in March. We're wondering if you're trying to say that they're still using that open, even with the new package.

Not sure how we missed this one. The KYW open listen closely.

From what I can tell, they only use the KYW stinger since this earlier this year, and it's only on the early morning broadcast.

Why are you thinking that far behind? With some that already launched, it won't be that long for the others to follow suit.
But some, like CBS 2 Chicagoland and CBS 11, still have yet to launch the new graphics, but you do have a point, it's more likely that they'll launch within a few weeks than a few months from now

I got a worse rebrand, CBS 13 Maryland.

Or possibly even worse... WJZ CBS.

Congratulations, I think you found a way WBBM could actually drop their ratings further. Rebrand to THAT. :D

How bout CBS 2 Chicago? Following WLS' route with ABC 7 Chicago.

How bout CBS 2 Chicago? Following WLS' route with ABC 7 Chicago.

They already are that for non-news branding. ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox all using that branding formula here.

They already are that for non-news branding. ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox all using that branding formula here.

Ah okay and yeah, I see it now. CBS 2 Chicago, NBC 5 Chicago, ABC 7 Chicago, FOX 32 Chicago.

I think WPWR does that as well with My 50 Chicago even though it will soon be CW 50 Chicago. And if WGN were to go this route, I think it should be WGN 9 Chicago's Very Own, combining the branding and the slogan together.

Because basically, for some viewers such as myself, some programs such as CBS This Morning and some CBS Sports programming are going out of the 4:3 safety zone. And the problem is that on my feed (I've got Dish and one of my grandparents have Comcast), KDKA's feed is not letterboxed (widescreen for those don't know what letterboxed means), and the CBS This Morning logo is cut off as it is out of the 4:3 safety zone. WPXI, as recently as a week or so, started letterboxing The Today Show and all NBC News programming, including special reports. WTAE doesn't letterbox anything, but mostly everything is within the zone. And it looks like with this graphic update, some elements are out of the 4:3 safety zone. Idk if they really are, but to me, they do.

Don't blame the stations; they try to pass through 16:9 in HD or SD letterbox by default if they can. But as you say, there's still those odd but vocal 'bug customer service until they say uncle' people who will cancel service because their 4:3 set isn't "showing 20% of the picture" with letterboxing and the pay-TV companies keep the picture in 4:3 no matter how many notices NBC, CBS and Fox send out to them to pass through only in 16:9. AT&T and DirecTV seem to just 'get used to it' and carry all the stations in widescreen, while local providers like Charter, Comcast and TWC, along with Dish keep it 4:3 full on the SD channels unless the stations strongly regulate their analog SD display specs.

In this case though, KDKA and WJZ don't send out '16:9' codes, so it doesn't matter in the end; no code, it goes in 4:3 no matter what.

Archived