CBS O&O changes

C Block

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WJZ is stuck in the 90s in terms of graphics too... I understand that stations want to stand out and be a little unique in presentation, but man those graphics are HIDEOUS... They need to update ASAP

With a new GFX comes a new logo. (watch for that 13 to be in the wide version of Helvetica like how KYW is.)

Why would letterboxing present a problem for KDKA?

Because basically, for some viewers such as myself, some programs such as CBS This Morning and some CBS Sports programming are going out of the 4:3 safety zone. And the problem is that on my feed (I've got Dish and one of my grandparents have Comcast), KDKA's feed is not letterboxed (widescreen for those don't know what letterboxed means), and the CBS This Morning logo is cut off as it is out of the 4:3 safety zone. WPXI, as recently as a week or so, started letterboxing The Today Show and all NBC News programming, including special reports. WTAE doesn't letterbox anything, but mostly everything is within the zone. And it looks like with this graphic update, some elements are out of the 4:3 safety zone. Idk if they really are, but to me, they do.

Damn. Is all the CBS stations going to get this pack by the start of the July books?

Hopefully. But 13 in B-More will still look like an affiliate. And I'm glad. (as for the Non-O&Os that got the 2013 GFX, WDJT and WFSB, I'd hope they get the new GFX as well to make it fair)

Like WCBS, they're using the KCBS 2, but flipped horizontally. :D

They kept the same Bug. No Instagram added on like kcbs. Twitter and FB rotation but the time font did change.

Because basically, for some viewers such as myself, some programs such as CBS This Morning and some CBS Sports programming are going out of the 4:3 safety zone. And the problem is that on my feed (I've got Dish and one of my grandparents have Comcast), KDKA's feed is not letterboxed (widescreen for those don't know what letterboxed means), and the CBS This Morning logo is cut off as it is out of the 4:3 safety zone. WPXI, as recently as a week or so, started letterboxing The Today Show and all NBC News programming, including special reports. WTAE doesn't letterbox anything, but mostly everything is within the zone. And it looks like with this graphic update, some elements are out of the 4:3 safety zone. Idk if they really are, but to me, they do.

WJZ has the same problem. They center cut everything on CBS programming. Their newscasts are safe.

KOVR did kinda make the bug look a little bit bigger though. but now a big KOVR logo replaced the weather screen. behind Dave Bender. also lately they've been trying to get used to the graphics because its been glitching live.

Designing for 4:3 safe is rapidly falling out of favor by designers who are tired of not being able to use 1/4 of the screen. Since there aren't any more 4:3 televisions being made anymore, there's little reason to support it since it's getting to the point it's the viewer's problem for not having a TV made in the past 10 years.

Right now many loca packages seem to be some hybrid where most content is within 4:3 safe, but we're seeing more and more drift from that to full 16:9.

Basically, get used to it because it's going to keep happening.

Also it's between your provider and the stations to get on the same page as to how they want their SD feed presented.

I noticed locally some stations just letterbox everything and don't bother with AFD flag. WJZ seems to be the lone hold out here in Baltimore where their feed is exclusively center cut. WBAL finally fixed theirs where it switches back and forth between network, local programming, commercials and certain commercials that Comcast covers up/replaces (mainly xfinity ads).

I noticed locally some stations just letterbox everything and don't bother with AFD flag. WJZ seems to be the lone hold out here in Baltimore where their feed is exclusively center cut. WBAL finally fixed theirs where it switches back and forth between network, local programming, commercials and certain commercials that Comcast covers up/replaces (mainly xfinity ads).

That might be a CBS thing cause KYW also center cuts everything. I wonder if that changes come football season cause their new sports graphics are not 4:3 safe at all.

Archived