CBS O&O changes

C Block

I want to like this look, but it feels really half baked. It seems like they rushed this one out the door without thinking too much about it. I know I wasn't really a fan of the 2013 look when it came out, but it looks so much more polished compared to this. Try again in three years I guess?

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want to like this look, but it feels really half baked. It seems like they rushed this one out the door without thinking too much about it. I know I wasn't really a fan of the 2013 look when it came out, but it looks so much more polished compared to this. Try again in three years I guess?

IMO, the 2013 package didn't look as stale as CBS thought it did and could've just 16:9 the supers and maybe add a few gradients. Here and now though, I want to see what WCCO cooks up for the intro.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure KCNC's open (at least the morning one I saw today) is made of stills of the last look's open — and the stills look like they're really poor quality. I guess KCNC figured since they use the full open so rarely, why even bother?

I wonder why they didn't just use the existing stock footage or even the previous video.

I didn't realize that KOVR (Sacramento) received the graphics a few weeks ago.

th_IMG_0407.png

Is it me or hardly anyone playing Enforcer NG 5 at all? I know KCBS and WCBS had opens using them before switching back to NG4. WCBS uses the NG 5 on their bumpers,the Noon close, and the 5pm & 5:30pm cold opens.

It's not called NG5. Generation branding is dead. It's just Disc 17 and the open is called Metropolis or Soul of the City depending on which edition you have.

NG5 is a very limited and repetitive theme. I'm not surprised stations have backed off from that version.

You'd be surprised how extensive Metropolis is! There are so many variations and edits to be made. The theme was originally composed for NBC but Gari lost the contract to 360's NBC O&O.

I wonder why they didn't just use the existing stock footage or even the previous video.

I know the Creative Director. The files the WCBS sent them were a mess. They are still trying to work their way through them. Some of the hierarchical structure of CBS Television Stations is difficult to deal with.

I know the Creative Director. The files the WCBS sent them were a mess. They are still trying to work their way through them. Some of the hierarchical structure of CBS Television Stations is difficult to deal with.

So would it be reasonable to infer that this update originally done by WCBS' team and not whoever designed the original package?

Really hate to bump up a thread, but as of yesterday, WWJ-TV (the red-headed CBS O&O) has adopted the new GFX and a new logo, which features the golden "62".

They really need to bring back their news department... I still find it baffling that they took it away years and years ago...

They really need to bring back their news department... I still find it baffling that they took it away years and years ago...

It's been covered to death elsewhere on this forum... a last-minute, last-resort O&O (with a horrendous dial position/PSIP number), coupled with impatience at Viacom post-2000, and the poor economics of Detroit itself are why neither 50 or 62 will ever feature any substantial local news programming ever again.

Even if 50 restarted a news department, they would be at an immediate disadvantage considering that they ceded 10pm to Fox2 15 years ago AND would have to go against TV20.

IMHO, the only way 50/62 will bring back news if CBS sells them. If can be a success you can done it marketed/executed right, even in a market as Detroit. (Everything for sale at the right price, just look at the state their radio division spinoff) But I think CBS would probably try the spectrum auction first or try to sell TV/Radio apart/or combo there.

IMHO, the only way 50/62 will bring back news if CBS sells them. If can be a success you can done it marketed/executed right, even in a market as Detroit. (Everything for sale at the right price, just look at the state their radio division spinoff) But I think CBS would probably try the spectrum auction first or try to sell TV/Radio apart/or combo there.

WADL 38 (which CBS wanted to buy before Kevin Adell pulled the rug out from under them at the last minute) will be cashed out for spectrum; Adell said that publicly late last year. So who knows.

But I highly doubt that CBS will sell either 50 or 62; they make a profit even as pass-throughs with no local content whatsoever.

I agree with you, because we've seen when a certain station exchanges hands with another owner who willing to pour money into the operation, and surly you jest that the local news operation could be somewhat par or competitive, or at least have an identity in the market with an operation. Also, I would think CBS would streamline having 50/62 & CBS radio properties all under one roof.

Nope. Rey Rodriguez consulted with Bruce Bauer for the design of the package. He didn't build it.

I thought Rey was dead. :rolleyes:

Really though, I had heard a rumor that Rey was working on the WABC package when the CBS offer came in, and that's why the WABC package ended up looking so rushed. I'm pretty sure he didn't just "consult", the package has his fingerprints all over it. My guess is he designed some of the key aspects of it (like the open and lower thirds) and CBS filled in the gaps. Not that uncommon in the TV design industry.

Archived