CBS O&O changes

C Block

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5pm Tease and Cold Open for WCBS-TV (since they dropped an intro at 5pm for about a year now).

I am not a really big fan of this change. Although it has been time since 2013, I feel like this "update" was a step back. I felt the previous graphics worked really well. This new package lies between 2010 and 2013.

5pm Tease and Cold Open for WCBS-TV (since they dropped an intro at 5pm for about a year now).

I am not a really big fan of this change. Although it has been time since 2013, I feel like this "update" was a step back. I felt the previous graphics worked really well. This new package lies between 2010 and 2013.

I agree with you. These graphics are more of the updated version of the CBS O&O from 2010 where the intro was the eye and looped from one location to another location in that city.

That the WJZ will dump Chroma Cues and switch to O&O look. Leave Chroma Cues, the anklepants "13" font and Eyewitness News brand alone. Update the graphics and set is ok with me.

One note: the propriety Group W font was never titled "Anklepants." I'm only bringing this up because a good friend of mine takes it almost as an insult. ;)

There is a fairly good adaptation of the Group W font as freeware, and it's worth the download.

Also KCNC isn't getting it until tomorrow but still we aren't mandated to use it yet. They are also talking about WJZ switching to this O&O or the previous one before this which is the one centered around the eye.

I wonder if WGCL, WDJT or WFSB will get these graphics as well...

I doubt it. It's a bit too soon.

The open is ehh. The L3s are alright. The logo bug is pretty good. But why would WCBS get the KCBS 2? Is that a corporate mandate?

There is NO so-called "CBS Mandate" of forced branding conventions among the O&Os. There just... isn't.

Here are some elements of the new graphics. Many parts I've noticed are very similar to the 2013 package. Some, including the weather graphics I actually like in this package more than last. The open is what really bothers me at this point. (They used a recut midday Metropolis Enforcer NG4 cut for the 6am open)

image.thumb.jpeg.af9abe2926a62aadd455aa6f606591ad.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.60aaf60e8175cb36026057075ff89ab6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ce7873a53f60be735afc606ec231f39f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.81d3ea16a65a80df2789d92c952d144d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fe4b60e272f1d4d6caacbd743976b208.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.597e0c589bc14b82316e609a453a8ff6.jpeg

I like the new opens but the new "skin*" of the lower thirds look like shit. I wasn't too keen on the older version but this just seems like a downgrade.

*I'm not sure what the technical term is but since the geometry is the same but the background/animations differ somewhat I'm calling it a skin like how you could change it on Windows.

To me this feel like more of a refresh than a completely new package. Its not bad though.

That's what I see when I look at this package. Looks more like a refresh than a completely new package.

There is NO so-called "CBS Mandate" of forced branding conventions among the O&Os. There just... isn't.

Oh my mistake. I thought I saw something about that somewhere.

Oh my mistake. I thought I saw something about that somewhere.

I'm referring to the groupthink among lazy Wikipedia editors. CBS has fairly strict branding conventions among their O&Os*, but it's not actually called a "mandate."

*We know what station to exclude from this discussion, and even that station uses the CBS Eye on their logo.

Archived