Gary Bettman believes Canadians will tune in for all-U.S. NHL playoffs

mvcg66b3r

It’s looking more and more like none of the NHL’s seven Canadian teams will make the playoffs this year; only the Vancouver Canucks are still somewhat in playoff contention, and they’re still a long ways out. This could produce only the second season in NHL history with no Canadian teams in the postseason (the other one was 1969-70), and many analysts think this “No, Canada” scenario could be potentially disastrous for Canadian broadcaster Rogers, which is already facing plenty of struggles and less-than-great ratings. However, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman doesn’t agree, telling Jonas Siegel of The Canadian Press he thinks the playoffs will do just fine in Canada regardless:

The NHL commissioner acknowledged in an interview that there is a sense of uncertainty regarding TV ratings in Canada, with no Canadian teams likely to qualify for the playoffs for the first time since 1970.

Still, he was hopeful that fans north of the border would tune in regardless.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/gary-bettman-believes-canadians-will-tune-in-for-all-u-s-nhl-playoffs.html

*Facepalm*

Gary, Gary, Gary. Do you actually think Americans will make up your NHL when there might be an interesting NBA playoffs, Baseball get in gear and other events. No, I hate to paint with a broad brush as a hockey fan but Canadians will be outdoors early in the longest summer break ever or what Blue Jackets fans call, Mid-April.

(Yes I'm a CBJ fan and it hurts to write that but, hey the truth is the truth.)

To be fair, I bet more Canadians will watch an all-American playoffs than the other way around.

When only 7 of 32 teams or whatever are in Canada they already watch lots of American stuff... Not any different, just very unusual.

Archived