CBS plans to unload its Radio stations.

CircleSeven

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Entercom has announced the 16 stations that are going to be divested in the markets that both CBS and Entercom own Radio Stations.

They are:

Boston: CBS’ 1030 WBZ, 98.5 WBZ-FM, 100.7 WZLX and Entercom’s 680 WRKO and 97.7 WKAF

(Entercom will keep 103.3 WODS and 104.1 WBMX)

Seattle: CBS’ 96.5 KJAQ, 102.5 KZOK, and 1090 KFNQ

(Entercom will add 94.1 KMPS to their cluster)

San Francisco: Entercom’s 96.5 KOIT, 98.5 KUFX, 102.9 KBLX and CBS’ 99.7 KMVQ

Sacramento: All of CBS’ Sacramento Cluster, except 102.5 KSFM

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/120286/entercom-narrows-16-stations-divested-complete-cbs-radio-merger/

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder what EMF will do because Univision owns the rights to the K-Love name in Los Angeles on KLVE 107.5

The parties have reached a deal, though they haven't said how they've worked it out. It's less urgent now that radio's measured with meters and not diaries and it won't depend on what someone writes down.

http://laradio.com/ (scroll to October 3rd entry and quote from EMF's Mike Novak)

Incredibly surprised at WBZ 1030 going to iHeart. Almost shocked. It wouldn't surprise me to see iHeart convert BZ to a split format like WDEL or WKXW (they were sort of halfway there anyway)--if they don't flip it to all talk!

Also amazed Entercom would just give up the radio rights to all the Boston sports teams like that. Beasley will probably keep 98.5 the way it is.

Does BZ radio still have partnerships on the TV side? Do those evaporate now with the ownership changes?

--And now that I see Entercom's current, pre-merger portfolio, I don't see that they have any pure newsradio formats on the air. They're all a combo news/talk or some other messy mix. If I'm an all-news station at any place not named WINS or KNX, given how they just tossed BZ, I'd be legit worried.

--And now that I see Entercom's current, pre-merger portfolio, I don't see that they have any pure newsradio formats on the air. They're all a combo news/talk or some other messy mix. If I'm an all-news station at any place not named WINS or KNX, given how they just tossed BZ, I'd be legit worried.

Keep a close eye on KCBS 740am SF...

They recently cut the traffic airplanes and now KNX is running 3 (planes) during drive times...and 1 or 2 during the mid and afternoons.

All KCBS has now is the Phone Phorce...and the caltrans sensors and cameras.

Keep a close eye on KCBS 740am SF...

They recently cut the traffic airplanes and now KNX is running 3 (planes) during drive times...and 1 or 2 during the mid and afternoons.

All KCBS has now is the Phone Phorce...and the caltrans sensors and cameras.

The KCBS Air Force of lumbering Cessnas was fun while it lasted. But it seemed more often than not, the planes were grounded during AM drive since the Peninsula is in IFR conditions due to the marine layer.

Regardless of the cuts, KCBS is still #2 in the market behind KQED (yes, the Bay Area is full of NPR-listening treehugging liberals and has the numbers to prove it :p). Entercom would be stupid to mess with it, and until the numbers start to drop I doubt there will be any changes. Where the station ends up physically will be interesting, since it's co-located with the other CBS Radio properties and KPIX at 855 Battery. Entercom's existing SF cluster is at 3rd and Howard, but since most of those stations appear to be going to Bonneville, I kinda think KGMZ will move over to 855 Battery and Entercom will just lease the space from CBS.

Will be interesting to see what happens with KMVQ going to Bonneville, and Bonneville coming back into SF. (KMVQ was the first CHR station after the market was CHR-less for about a decade when Bonneville's KZQZ flipped to classic rock after a couple years.) Gotta wonder what the Mormons will think of having two gay dudes host a morning drive radio show.

I'm surprised WBZ 1030 is going to iHeartRadio, but I'm really shocked that Entercom is acquiring iHeart's Richmond stations. Looks like I'll soon be hearing WRVQ (CHR) and WBTJ (Urban) on TuneIn (Entercom - along with CBS Radio, Beasley and others - stream their stations on TuneIn). Will be interesting to see what happens.

Does iHeart have an all news station like WBZ in it's lineup? I'll be very surprised if that format remains untouched.

No. All news/talk.

Let's see what iheart does to destroy 'BZ, I'd imagine the OldSport Norm Nathan and the late Bruds are prolly spinning in their graves.....

Let's see what iheart does to destroy 'BZ, I'd imagine the OldSport Norm Nathan and the late Bruds are prolly spinning in their graves.....

Plenty of chaos at WRKO at least if the Premiere lineup eventually bumps over. And when they lose those shows and have to go with the B-list that used to infest WMEX, Boston talk radio will only get even worse and worse (and the WEEI/Sports Hub rivalry has already poisoned that well enough). :eek:

Does iHeart have an all news station like WBZ in it's lineup? I'll be very surprised if that format remains untouched.

700 WLW is live/local, around the clock. 1530 KFBK has an afternoon all-news wheel in addition to morning drive. 640 KFI has live/local hosts from 5am to 10pm.

In each case, they have a sister AM station to run the syndicated Premiere talk lineup almost exclusively; that will definitely be the case with WKRO (remember, Howie Carr is self-syndicated).

Plenty of chaos at WRKO at least if the Premiere lineup eventually bumps over. And when they lose those shows and have to go with the B-list that used to infest WMEX, Boston talk radio will only get even worse and worse (and the WEEI/Sports Hub rivalry has already poisoned that well enough). :eek:

WKRO farmed out morning drive to the Globe, middays to Barry Armstrong and afternoons with Howie. The chaos would be how to resolve those contracts so the Premiere talk lineup can be plugged in around Howie.

Really, Entercom ran WRKO with the bare minimum of effort. And it was still far more professional than the dumpster fire that was DWMEX.

Welp

The company acquiring local radio news titan WBZ-AM has indicated employees at the station will have to re-apply for their positions, and that it does not plan to honor two union contracts.

In a letter sent Thursday to a union official, an attorney for iHeartMedia said that the company “will interview and consider for employment the on-air announcers and off-air production staff currently employed by CBS at WBZ-AM.”

The letter goes on to say that iHeartMedia “will not be assuming the two collective bargaining agreements between CBS Radio” and the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, SAG-AFTRA.

Again, reiterating the "anyone in a newsradio format not at WINS or KNX ought to be legit worried" line (despite the Entercom acquisition).

"'WBZ is a desirable commodity because it’s a very successful radio station,' said Higgins. 'They do what they do well and they generate revenue. I don’t expect a company coming in would come in to sabotage that success.'”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Entercom starts taking over CBS Radio today.

RIP CBS Radio. 1927-2017

It lived a happy and healthy 90 years.

And Entercom is already making it's mark. The following changes have already happened.

WBMP in NYC has flipped from CHR to Alternative.

KVIL in Dallas has flipped from CHR to Alternative.

WJMK in Chicago has flipped from Classic Hits to Classic Hip-Hop.

Archived