CBS plans to unload its Radio stations.

CircleSeven

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank god. They've run a lot of these stations into the ground.
Most of radio already has and there was nothing we could do, unless we were shareholders or were a part of National Amusements (who own the majority stake in both CBS and Viacom).

That's unfortunate. Hopefully the new owners don't mess with the all-news radio stations.
And if they do, what can we do about it?

Who would buy them?
Any station group that owns the CBS affiliates in the same area as the radio stations (CBS' St. Louis and CT radio stations would be sold to Meredith, for example). Not sure about the radio stations in clusters with a CBS O&O however.

Any station group that owns the CBS affiliates in the same area as the radio stations (CBS' St. Louis and CT radio stations would be sold to Meredith, for example). Not sure about the radio stations in clusters with a CBS O&O however.

Meredith probably isn't interested in buying into radio.

Who would buy them?

Entercom would be the most logical buyer in Atlanta and Boston since they already own stations in both markets and there wouldn't be much ownership cap issues (They would have to spin-off two stations in Boston, most likely WAAF/WKAF, but they should be easy to spin-off since they are a simulcast). It would be interesting to see what would happen if Entercom does buy the Boston stations, since it would own WEEI and its closest competitor, 98.5 The Sports Hub/WBZ-FM.

Some have speculated CBS is anticipating the loosening of foreign ownership rules and that a European company will step in and make a deal

A little off topic, but is that basically why Rupert Murdoch became a U.S. citizen - to allow him to build his media interests stateside?

I wonder what'll happen to their much larger/well-known stations like WCBS AM & FM, KROQ, WFAN, etc?

If CBS Radio is spun off from its parent corporation, I don't think there would be many changes. The ABC Radio Network remains under ABC/Disney management, and I don't see why CBS couldn't reach a similar arrangement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Bumping...

Just came over the wire that CBS Radio will be merging with Entercom. Interesting. This puts the Philly stations under local ownership IIRC.

oh wow just what i need. 2 buildings in the Carmichael area in Sacramento sharing lease across the same street together.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
From RadioInsight this morning, Entercom has formed a divestiture trust in the overlapped markets.

Entercom will annouce which stations will go in the trust, should no buyer of the spin-off stations comes forward when the CBS deal closes.

I looked at the article this morning, it said that it has KCBS-FM and KSWD in Los Angeles already.

Archived