WHAG Loses NBC Affiliation

Leavellebrett

[snip]

I would say WHAG might have a future with the incentive auction, being a potential daisy chain for the central Pennsylvania, Baltimore, Washington DC and even Pittsburgh markets, but it seems Nexstar wants to soldier on, and the newscasts probably attract a good following in the region.

As to the station's affiliation agreement, WHAG's last long-term agreement ran from January 1, 2006 to January 1, 2015. This affiliation agreement covered KAMR, KTAL and KARK as well. The ownership biennial lists a further NBC affiliation contract, for all of its NBC stations, that ran until the end of 2019.

No further affiliation agreement or list of contracts is available. KAMR does not display any further affiliation contracts in its file. I tried KRBC, another Nexstar station, and it has its old 1995 agreement (parts of which are unexpectedly not blacked out!).

First, with regards to the affiliation agreements. Nexstar and NBC renewed all of their stations affiliation agreements in December of 2014. 15 of 16 stations were extended to December 2019. The remaining station (obviously WHAG) was extended to June 2016. Source Nexstar 10k's for 2013 and 2014. Affiliation agreements are listed under "Item 1. Business".

So, with that knowledge here are some rhetorical questions for everyone.

If Comcast really wanted to yank the affiliation to protect WRC as some state, why did they even bother renewing in 2014?

Is it possible given the expiration date of the agreement that Nexstar intended (or, still intends to) throw WHAG into the auction?

If Nexstar was getting strong armed by Comcast why not go public?

I get why everyone hates Comcast. But, they didn't just stroll in and strip the affiliation out of thin air. Both parties choose to only renew WHAG through June 2016 for whatever reason. Yes, the networks hold a lot of power but Nexstar had 15 other affiliates to use as some sort of leverage.

Maybe, everyone is right and Comcast is judt a "bully" and all Nexstar could get for WHAG was an additional 18 months. Personally, I think based on the timing it is possible that Nexstar was planning on offering WHAG's spectrum up in the auction. However, given the recent West Virginia Media Holdings purchase may have had a change of heart. And in reality the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First, with regards to the affiliation agreements. Nexstar and NBC renewed all of their stations affiliation agreements in December of 2014. 15 of 16 stations were extended to December 2019. The remaining station (obviously WHAG) was extended to June 2016. Source Nexstar 10k's for 2013 and 2014. Affiliation agreements are listed under "Item 1. Business".

So, with that knowledge here are some rhetorical questions for everyone.

If Comcast really wanted to yank the affiliation to protect WRC as some state, why did they even bother renewing in 2014?

Is it possible given the expiration date of the agreement that Nexstar intended (or, still intends to) throw WHAG into the auction?

If Nexstar was getting strong armed by Comcast why not go public?

I get why everyone hates Comcast. But, they didn't just stroll in and strip the affiliation out of thin air. Both parties choose to only renew WHAG through June 2016 for whatever reason. Yes, the networks hold a lot of power but Nexstar had 15 other affiliates to use as some sort of leverage.

Maybe, everyone is right and Comcast is judt a "bully" and all Nexstar could get for WHAG was an additional 18 months. Personally, I think based on the timing it is possible that Nexstar was planning on offering WHAG's spectrum up in the auction. However, given the recent West Virginia Media Holdings purchase may have had a change of heart. And in reality the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

In fact, according to what Nexstar said about the situation, Comcast might actually be doing them a favor rather than wrecking WHAG: http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/92473/whag-announces-1m-local-news-expansion

If WHAG were to affiliate with another network, I could easily see ABC. When I think of intermarket secondary stations or short market stations (pre-Digital TV) the majority of those stations are ABC affiliates like WWSB, WCJB, and WLOX.

If WHAG is expanding news to around 50 hours a week, I don't think it would join ABC or CBS. Both networks have such heavy network schedules that it would make it impossible for a station to program too much more than 40 hours of newscasts across its weekly schedule. To achieve such an expansion, WHAG would realistically have to affiliate with either Fox or The CW (neither of which have national morning and evening newscasts), or become an independent station.

If WHAG is expanding news to around 50 hours a week, I don't think it would join ABC or CBS. Both networks have such heavy network schedules that it would make it impossible for a station to program too much more than 40 hours of newscasts across its weekly schedule. To achieve such an expansion, WHAG would realistically have to affiliate with either Fox or The CW (neither of which have national morning and evening newscasts), or become an independent station.

I think WHAG is become an Independent station. I haven't head anything about WHAG affiliating with anybody yet.

I think WHAG is become an Independent station. I haven't head anything about WHAG affiliating with anybody yet.
Yeah, and one often forgotten fact is that Nexstar has run an independent station with a news operation before (with WFFT for a couple of years before switching back to Fox, for example), so WHAG becoming an independent station might be the best course of action for the station.

Don't forget that Comcast can now extort higher retrans fees for WRC now that channel 4 is the gatekeeper for the entire DC metro region. IIRC, did Antietam Cable pay lower fees for WRC since they were the "secondary" NBC in Hagerstown?

I wish WHAG the best on their plans.

But one has to wonder ... How much local news happens in sleepy Hagerstown to fill 50 hours a week??

-- Matt

Some commenters over at DCRTV.com have said the same wondering how much the region and the news rookies can produce? One person said they can barely fill a Today show cut in.

Some commenters over at DCRTV.com have said the same wondering how much the region and the news rookies can produce? One person said they can barely fill a Today show cut in.

If they can get more cable/satellite coverage, there is a market for being a source for NoVA/the Maryland suburbs. Those areas are pretty starved in terms of any media to superserve them since even local print is already dead.

Best case is it becomes the WBIN of that area minus the radio stations and some ego. Worst case is it becomes the WRNN of that area without spending years as a zombie station out of ego.

If they can get more cable/satellite coverage, there is a market for being a source for NoVA/the Maryland suburbs. Those areas are pretty starved in terms of any media to superserve them since even local print is already dead.

Best case is it becomes the WBIN of that area minus the radio stations and some ego. Worst case is it becomes the WRNN of that area without spending years as a zombie station out of ego.

WFMZ is probably the better example. They do tons of news as an independent station and have for a while.

I see WHAG becoming more like CHCH when Channel Zero was pumping out 80 hours of news per week. One wonders how Nexstar is going to fill the primetime and late-night hours.

Except that 50 hours is more reasonable for an Independent station than 80. Plus, Hagerstown is probably not a market to receive a station with 80 hours since that market would be too small if mini-markets counted.

Except that 50 hours is more reasonable for an Independent station than 80. Plus, Hagerstown is probably not a market to receive a station with 80 hours since that market would be too small if mini-markets counted.
But what if the coverage area is expanded to include DC itself?

But what if the coverage area is expanded to include DC itself?

Even if they did, you'd run into "must-carry" scenarios with DC cable and satellite providers. They'd also have to staff up in order to cover the new territory.

Not likely.

You couldn't fill 80 hours?

Seriously?

Just add more crap...free crap...it's everywhere and available to newsrooms across the world.

It's all just moving, and reposting data.

Or you can spend money and do it right.

You couldn't fill 80 hours?

Seriously?

Just add more crap...free crap...it's everywhere and available to newsrooms across the world.

It's all just moving, and reposting data.

Or you can spend money and do it right.

Or, in WHAG's case, become the unofficial flagship station for the Washington Redskins (and they might change their name next season)

• 2 weeks later...

This loss should surprise NO one, the station under Breslin has sunk faster than the titanic. Look at the employee turnover and the "quality" of "talent" they have right now. Fortunately for the viewers, they finally appear to have pulled the morning anchor, who had difficulty with the English language. The evening co-anchor is just the attempt to hold onto the affiliation by bringing in a minority. Sad and pathetic.

• 3 months later...

The Public Opinion in Chambersburg, PA posted more info about WHAG's post-NBC plans.

Along with the news expansion & local programming, plus weekend public affairs shows, and programming that's produced by its sister-stations in adjacent markets, it will be airing certain shows from Weigel's Heroes & Icons (H&I) network to fill-in some of the gaps.

The set redesign is underway.....

Video courtesy of WHAG's Facebook Wall

I must say I was impressed that this small market (if it was its own market) was getting a new set as theirs isn't that old. However after seeing them take it apart it doesn't look like it was that expensive to begin with. I wonder if it's a new set or if they are just de-NBCing it.

I must say I was impressed that this small market (if it was its own market) was getting a new set as theirs isn't that old. However after seeing them take it apart it doesn't look like it was that expensive to begin with. I wonder if it's a new set or if they are just de-NBCing it.

Probably the latter. I wouldn't surprise if they're getting that new set that's similar to WZDX/KLAF.

Archived