WBNS 10TV - Columbus, OH

susquvalleywgal

I think it's safe to say that Dispatch is in this for the long haul....UNLESS a company like Tegna or Hearst wants them so badly that they will pay what the Wolfes would sell it for. And the lack of CBS branding could spell a future without a network especially if they pull a WRAL. But with their strong standing locally and in the community, WBNS and Dispatch seem well positioned for whatever curveball the industry may throw and could survive an apocalypse of TV if the networks eventually abandon broadcasting....

I think it's safe to say that Dispatch is in this for the long haul....UNLESS a company like Tegna or Hearst wants them so badly that they will pay what the Wolfes would sell it for. And the lack of CBS branding could spell a future without a network especially if they pull a WRAL. But with their strong standing locally and in the community, WBNS and Dispatch seem well positioned for whatever curveball the industry may throw and could survive an apocalypse of TV if the networks eventually abandon broadcasting....

What's the verdict on WJXT? How have they done since they lost the CBS affiliation many moons ago? I still say CBS stays with WBNS -- I don't see the Wolfes having a problem sharing their cable compensation with the network. They aren't cheapskates/

At one time, WBNS and WTHR were worth $400 million. Revenues are down, so I don't know if that's still the case. I think so long as these stations keep churning out their $25 million in profit debt free, I don't know that I wouldn't ride the TV business wave as long as I can. The question is going to be whether the overhead of running a TV station in terms of technology and the expertise required to buy it is going to get cost prohibitive for a small owner.

What's the verdict on WJXT? How have they done since they lost the CBS affiliation many moons ago? I still say CBS stays with WBNS -- I don't see the Wolfes having a problem sharing their cable compensation with the network. They aren't cheapskates/

WJXT is still holding their own as the dominant station in Jacksonville. WJAX (formerly WTEV) still hasn't been able to climb out of the basement even after COX poured in money and screwed up things even more...

If a station has a strong product that transcends their affiliation (or lack thereof) they'll do just fine.

WJXT is still holding their own as the dominant station in Jacksonville. WJAX (formerly WTEV) still hasn't been able to climb out of the basement even after COX poured in money and screwed up things even more...

If a station has a strong product that transcends their affiliation (or lack thereof) they'll do just fine.

I thought WJAX/WFOX had been gaining?

WBNS needed new graphics. Not a fan of the package that debuted in 2012.

I'll say that they have made some dumb moves like cutting Kurt Ludlow and Chuck Strickler.

I don't think their 6/11 P.M. anchor team has much of a 'warmth' factor whereas WCMH and WSYX you can tell they enjoy working together. WBNS just feels cold. I would look for more changes if WSYX continues to shake up the market.

Oh yeah, what package is WCMH now using? It doesn't sound like Canvas anymore at least since summer.

I know for a fact it's production music. Not even a real music package. I would watch for some graphics changes with them before the Olympics for sure. Because they need it badly! Worst then WBNS did!

WCMH definitely needs some TLC. The wheels fell off the wagon when they dumped "Canvas" and had done so before when they moved from the "red" to the "blue" version of their graphics. It had potential when it was first launched (by WCMH), but it was bungled over the years and lost its appeal as Media General put it on other stations.

I just hope and pray we don't have a "Local 4" in our future.....leave that to WDIV up north!

WCMH definitely needs some TLC. The wheels fell off the wagon when they dumped "Canvas" and had done so before when they moved from the "red" to the "blue" version of their graphics. It had potential when it was first launched (by WCMH), but it was bungled over the years and lost its appeal as Media General put it on other stations.

I just hope and pray we don't have a "Local 4" in our future.....leave that to WDIV up north!

*Rant Button ON*

And the thing is If Nexstar if it going to try and "Local" itself to Columbus and Central Ohio. It's already taken already in Columbus. You got WBNS who own the whole local thing in the market. I mean it is to the point that it is in it's WBNS' Station DNA. You got The Sinclair 614 Trio (WSYX/WTTE/WWHO) who own the market on the amount of news produced.

I have to ask what is WCMH's Identity as News Operation?

If it's trying to do things on the cheap ask WSYX/WTTE how that worked out before Sinclair realized it can be competitive and Beat 10TV on size and amount of news. They sucked to the point that I used to slam them Now they are "In my honest opinion, the best station in Columbus going.

10TV's New Look is unique It's kind of euro but really capitalizing on using the City as the hook to the look. You'll remember it and you won't forget it. What does WCMH has and can do to deal with the changes in Columbus TV? If Nexstar think Their definition of "Local" will work in Columbus... it will backfire so badly on them, it won't be funny.

*Rant Button OFF*

Saw the intro earlier today. Stunning.

It's amazing how contemporary WBNS looks considering they appeared incredibly cheap a mere 5 years ago with the garish blue+oranges combined with obvious loyalty to the CBS network. The previous 2013 gfx package wasn't that bad either.

Saw the intro earlier today. Stunning.

It's amazing how contemporary WBNS looks considering they appeared incredibly cheap a mere 5 years ago with the garish blue+oranges combined with obvious loyalty to the CBS network. The previous 2013 gfx package wasn't that bad either.

I tried to cut and paste an animated gif but the animation isn't pasting. Here's a link if the animation doesn't show:

https://tpc.googlesyndication.com/simgad/12398439951725716874

upload_2016-2-29_0-38-53.png.02d97015fb73a03b153838a3be657907.png

Archived