WBNS 10TV - Columbus, OH

susquvalleywgal

This is boring. They were trying to execute a similar package to Raycom and it didn't work. Everything done here is from After Effects. Not one C4D file to be found. I'm very unimpressed.

Raycom? Seems more like a mix between Gannett and the old CBS O&O graphics. It doesn't look too bad though. Very plain, however. The music suits the look well. Totally unrelated, but I've not seen their set before. It looks nice.

Raycom? Seems more like a mix between Gannett and the old CBS O&O graphics. It doesn't look too bad though. Very plain, however. The music suits the look well. Totally unrelated, but I've not seen their set before. It looks nice.

The L3s are very similar to what Raycom is using. The open is underwhelming.

I got to watch it in action and I wanted to before I really commented on it. Here's my rough thoughts.

I'll be honest it has European style to it What I mean is Basic, Clean, and Straight to the point.

Something to note about their logo. This is the first one in a while and I'm going back at least 29 years of my life where it doesn't say "TV" or even have a separate "News" Logo anywhere. mainly the 10 is the news logo. Interesting to see here.

It's very sharp and very ahead of it's time and I can honestly say there is NOTHING like this look in the state or nation.

I do have a worry about the thin letter font but it works for this package.

Also, This Is Your News is Gone! In is Aerial by SAM and WBNS has been using some interesting softer cuts even softer than Hawaii News Now which is uses this music package as well.

Overall, This is what WBNS is known for, It's Bold and Different and It makes 10TV stands out in the market.

And Compared to WCMH using Production Music for a News Theme with crappy heavily neutered Graphic package and WSYX/WTTE using a pretty decent Sinclair Package This whole package from 10TV Blows them BOTH out the water which was the intent.

The Message is clear, The King is NOT DEAD YET!

I got to watch it in action and I wanted to before I really commented on it. Here's my rough thoughts.

I'll be honest it has European style to it What I mean is Basic, Clean, and Straight to the point.

Something to note about their logo. This is the first one in a while and I'm going back at least 29 years of my life where it doesn't say "TV" or even have a separate "News" Logo anywhere. mainly the 10 is the news logo. Interesting to see here.

It's very sharp and very ahead of it's time and I can honestly say there is NOTHING like this look in the state or nation.

Also, This Is Your News is Gone! In is Aerial by SAM and WBNS has been using some interesting softer cuts even softer than Hawaii News Now which is uses this music package as well.

Overall, This is what WBNS is known for, It's Bold and Different and It makes 10TV stands out in the market.

And Compared to WCMH using Production Music for a News Theme with crappy heavily neutered Graphic package and WSYX/WTTE using a pretty decent Sinclair Package This whole package from 10TV Blows them BOTH out the water which was the intent.

But don't you wish that 10TV went back to Eyewitness News? I mean... people generally refer to the station as 10TV for a long time and Eyewitness News was known there for a long time too. It would be great if 10TV became Eyewitness News again.

Longtime general branding, longtime news branding and longtime slogan. It didn't make sense to me when 10TV dropped Eyewitness News because its what made the station #1. I'd say this... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But don't you wish that 10TV went back to Eyewitness News? I mean... people generally refer to the station as 10TV for a long time and Eyewitness News was known there for a long time too. It would be great if 10TV became Eyewitness News again.

Longtime general branding, longtime news branding and longtime slogan. It didn't make sense to me when 10TV dropped Eyewitness News because its what made the station #1. I'd say this... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Dirty Little Local Secret Time:

Locals have always called it "10TV News" even when it was "10TV Eyewitness News." That why The 2007 change to 10TV News HD was shocking for the fact that they finally used the name that locals always called them.

Columbus and Central Ohio really don't have that connection to that name. Even though WBNS is in essence running the "Eyewitness News" format they did even without it saying the name. What made it #1 was NEVER the name in the case of but the connections it had. Local Newspaper, Locally Owned, Huge Buckeye Backers and a more stable experienced team... And how WSYX and WCMH always were less stable in the personnel department. When WSYX and WCMH has been stable in that area they have been number one.

Columbus is a Personality Driven Market of "if like ya we'll watch ya." That was how WSYX made inroad against WBNS over the last few years and let it be a warning to Nexstar, Columbus is weird and if you cut wrong you won't be a factor in the market.

Locals have always called it "10TV News" even when it was "10TV Eyewitness News." That why The 2007 change to 10TV News HD was shocking for the fact that they finally used the name that locals always called them.

Columbus and Central Ohio really don't have that connection to that name. Even though WBNS is in essence running the "Eyewitness News" format they did. What made it #1 was NEVER the name in the case of but the connections it had. Local Newspaper, Locally Owned, Huge Buckeye Backers and a more stable experienced team... And how WSYX and WCMH always were less stable in the personnel department. When WSYX and WCMH has been stable in that area they have been number one.

Columbus is a Personality Driven Market of "if like ya we'll watch ya." That was how WSYX made inroad against WBNS over the last few years and let it be a warning to Nexstar, Columbus is weird and if you cut wrong you won't be a factor in the market.

Wow. Really? That's shocking to hear that people called it as 10TV News and not by Eyewitness News.

This is boring. They were trying to execute a similar package to Raycom and it didn't work. Everything done here is from After Effects. Not one C4D file to be found. I'm very unimpressed.

I agree, what you saw up there was extremely boring. But the actual open and transitions weren't bad. What I saw was very minimalist and it worked. I don't like the bottom graphics and the stills, though (forget what the technical term is). They remind me of what you would see on an android phone versus a website on your desktop. I liked their old graphics because they had some movement.

I've said this for years: WTHR consistently has a better look than WBNS has. Why don't they just let the WTHR art department handle their graphics and be done with it?

's ans have always called it "10TV News" even when it was "10TV Eyewitness News." That why The 2007 change to 10TV News HD was shocking for the fact that they finally used the name that locals always called them.

Columbus and Central Ohio really don't have that connection to that name. Even though WBNS is in essence running the "Eyewitness News" format they did. What made it #1 was NEVER the name in the case of but the connections it had. Local Newspaper, Locally Owned, Huge Buckeye Backers and a more stable experienced team... And how WSYX and WCMH always were less stable in the personnel department. When WSYX and WCMH has been stable in that area they have been number one.

Don't forget that the other reason WBNS is number one is because the Wolfes aren't cheapskates, either. When they do something, they open the checkbook and do it right. That's also why WTHR is an even more dominant Number One than WBNS is. I can't find the article anymore, I think it was written by Bill McCormick, but I read somewhere that WBNS participated in a Group W competition back in the 1960's to come up with a new format and they are the ones who coined the "Eyewitness News" term. I'll see if I have it saved on my harddrive somewhere.

Wow. Really? That's shocking to hear that people called it as 10TV News and not by Eyewitness News.

Yeah it's usually just channel 4 in the case of WCMH or Station brand, like "10TV" in WBNS or Both in the case of WSYX, Channel 6 or "Six On Your Side" is used interchangeably. The only time I hear Station and # is with FOX 28 and recently with ABC 6. It's more of station brand thing in Columbus.

Yeah it's usually just channel 4 in the case of WCMH or Station brand, like "10TV" in WBNS or Both in the case of WSYX, Channel 6 or "Six On Your Side" is used interchangeably. The only time I hear Station and # is with FOX 28 and recently with ABC 6. It's more of station brand thing in Columbus.

WCMH historically was TV-3/TV-4 from the 1950's through the 1980's. Then it became Channel 4. Then in the mid-1990's they adopted NBC-4 and that's what they've used since. Colloquially it's Channel 4.

10TV is what they've been using since the mid-1970's, although it first started as WBNS 10TV. Before that they were just Channel 10. Colloquially, it's Channel 10.

WSYX was Channel 6 from the beginning, Columbus 6 for a while in the 1970's, Channel 6 again, TV-6, Columbus 6 briefly in the 1980's, Channel 6 again, Six on Your Side, Channel 6 again, then Six on Your Side started popping up again as part of the news branding, and finally ABC-6. Colloquially, Channel 6.

WTTE started as Television 28 (that's what TTE means), then TV 28, then Fox 28. Colloquially, people refer to it as 28 or Fox 28.

WWHO started as WWAT (the owner's initials), struggled. Then the WCMH owners bought a piece of it and turned it into a duopoly, changing the call letters to WWHO and branding it as "WHO 53". Then it was WB-53, UPN-53, UPN Columbus and The CW Columbus. Colloquially, Channel 53.

However the color scheme between WBNS & WSYX is very similar. The King is not dead yet, but only "a matter of time"

The King is not dead yet, but only "a matter of time"

I wouldn't go that far. Corporate ownership may bring scale, but it also brings debt, tight budgets and having to answer to Wall Street's whims. For all the benefits they might have on the overhead side of things, it doesn't matter if they have a lot of debt service and most of these gigantic broadcasters have a lot of debt. That's how WTHR has been able to run rings around the competition in Indy.

Archived