WSVI apparently dropped ABC on Dec. 31st

kimmykun

They're now transmitting ION, of all things.

Looks like they gave the local cable co. no head's up either:

http://viconsortium.com/business/innovative-tv-announces-realignment-to-channel-lineup-wsvi-channel-8-permanent-realignment-coming-jan-15/

They're now piping in WENY as of Jan. 15.

(The article doesn't specify it's WENY, only that it's a Lilly station. Since KITV is Lilly's only other ABC, I'm gonna take a leap here and go with WENY.)

I found another article that goes a bit more into it:

http://vifreepress.com/2016/01/david-lampel-run-wsvi-tv-channel-loses-its-abc-affiliation-just-in-time-for-the-bowl-game/

Sources have also told the Virgin Islands Free Press that corporate ABC headquarters in New York had determined to move the ABC affiliation away from the Lampel-owned WSVI-TV at least two months ago if certain specific obligations were not fulfilled.

Quality?

Quality?

If the visitor posts to WSVI's Facebook page is any indication, there were multiple technical problems and glitches when ABC programming aired. Supposedly, WSVI even cut out of a recent episode of "Nashville" abruptly to run the Powerball drawing.

That, or ABC really missed Wes Small.

If the visitor posts to WSVI's Facebook page is any indication, there were multiple technical problems and glitches when ABC programming aired. Supposedly, WSVI even cut out of a recent episode of "Nashville" abruptly to run the Powerball drawing.

It looks like their ABC affiliation agreement from 2006 expired at the end of last year. ABC may have been unwilling to renew the affiliation based on the technical issues and preemptions. Reading their affiliation agreement, ABC does not take kindly to that.

Wes Small is the man, singlehandedly reporting everything for them. :D They really haven't been the same since he left.

Anyways I looked at the schedule and it looks like they moved their news to 11pm local time since they no longer have to wait out the ABC ET feed to start their news. They also kept Weekend Adventure for now to get in their E/I credit, but that's a syndication agreement with Litton under that oddball arrangement they have with ABC that technically isn't under ABC's control (but still goes under ABC S&P).

Archived