Sinclair takes match point: buying Tennis Channel

Viper550

That seems.... odd. I get why they would purchase Ring of Honor- to fill time on their CW and MyNet stations- but the Tennis Channel?

Probably to turn ASN into an actual channel, as opposed to the consortium of subchannel they are currently operating on.

So go ahead and place your wagers now on how many days until Tennis Channel is rebranded/relaunched as American Sports Network.

I'm going August 15, 2016.

Here's the strange part, They have already launched ASN as digital subchannel network on some of its stations. It's not crazy to go cable only and move News Channel 8 to Digital Subchannels.

So go ahead and place your wagers now on how many days until Tennis Channel is rebranded/relaunched as American Sports Network.

I'm going August 15, 2016.

Some pretty lousy carriage for their network if that's their game plan. A lot of providers put that channel in a sports-only digital tier. Just like CBS Sports Network.

But I do think that they have plans for the network beyond tennis.

Some pretty lousy carriage for their network if that's their game plan. A lot of providers put that channel in a sports-only digital tier. Just like CBS Sports Network.

But I do think that they have plans for the network beyond tennis.

They have already negotiated for increased/improved carriage prior to making the purchase.

From the press release:

"The Company has already negotiated agreements with a number of multi-channel video programming distributors (MVPDs) which, following Sinclair's acquisition, will increase carriage of Tennis from approximately 30 million homes to approximately 50 million homes." And, "We greatly appreciate the commitment from many of our distribution partners to substantially increase their carriage of Tennis Channel, and we expect that a number of upcoming MVPD negotiations to result in further carriage and Tennis subscriber penetration," stated Barry Faber, Sinclair's Executive Vice President and General Counsel.

Remember those fights Sinclair had with several MPVDs recently? If you recall majority of those disputes revolved around Sinclair demanding they agree to carry a hypothetical cable channel they had yet to launch or purchase. Well, a chunk of them apparently agreed to it.

• 2 months later...

Old news but not mentioned here yet: Sinclair decided to keep the French Open rights it previously sub-licensed to ESPN.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/tennis-channel-aces-french-open-pay-tv-rights/403283

So when does NBC's side expire? Could Sinclair theoretically take the OTA rights and have Tennis Channel produce it with ASN as distributor?

Archived