Newbie with a question

Roadgeek Adam

Howdy. I am a diehard WABC (and sometime WCBS) watcher who right now lives in IL, but is a native of Queens. I've been watching WABC since I was a little kid (24 now) and grew up with Bill Beutel, Scott Clark and Sam Champion on my TV regularly (along with Roz Abrams and Diana Williams of course). I've been lurking this forum for about 6 months and finally just signed up today.

I am not a television geek. I am an amateur filmmaker and used to write in papers, but I wanted to ask some of you more professionals than I am. What is it about Sam Champion that everyone seems to dislike? I understand he's more broadcaster than meteorologist, that's understandable, but if I am correct, didn't Spencer Christian and Art MacFarland serve similar roles in their times? So far, going through archives here, I've not seen a whole lot of love for Sam but not much hate on Spencer or Art either. (I have high respect for Art MacFarland.)

I am trying to not to come off as a noob who is useless, so I'm really curious to what people have to say. I watch old telecasts regularly and have considered wondering a book should some day be written on Eyewitness News since the Al Primo beginnings. (I am a grad student in history.)

I can only speak for myself and say I like Sam Champion as a weather personality. It's been rumored by many that he's a bit of a diva to work with behind the scenes. I however am not a fan of how he left GMA, in the sense that he ditched the show that offered him his national break all for a larger paycheck.

Archived