Weather + Branding

rkolsen

I mentioned this in the shout box but it looks like WBAL is dropping their InstaWeather + branding. They just aired a PoP promo featuring their coverage of the flash flooding, severe thunderstorms and tornado warnings (one was confirmed) yesterday afternoon. They used an oversized version of their chyron where the descriptive banner said "WBAL-TV 11 Weather". The branding was further reinforced by voice over and at the very end a graphic animation showing their horizontal logo and generic weather text.

I noticed a few months ago that their weather app's badge just had their logo and weather but thought it was just something the hub did and pushed out.

I must say I'm a bit confused by this - the weather team is great and they are a top news station. I think they've branded it this way for 20+ years.

Well why drop InstaWeather from the name? They should've dropped the Plus and just keep the InstaWeather name.

Here in JoMo we've got the following branding for weather:

KSNF: Freeman Health Live First Alert Doppler/Freeman First Alert Stormcenter

KODE: Storm Tracker Weather

KOAM/FOX14: Skywatch 7 Weather

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like they have officially dropped the InstaWeather + branding. I tweeted one of their meteorologists when the new weather logo popped up in some graphics during their noon newscast and got a like. Anyway starting at 5pm their "WBAL Weather" graphics were featured through out the forecast, with a new transition graphic/bumper and voiceover.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived