Gray's New Websites

atlnews2

Last year Gray debuted a new website design on KMVT's site (shortly after Gray acquired the station). Since then Gray has been SLOWLY rolling this website design to their other stations. This is an update as to which stations have the website layout so far :

WBKO, KWTX / KBTX, WTVY, KKCO, WHSV, WKYT / WMYT, WSAZ, WTAP, KOLO, WSAW, WAGM, KOSA, and KCRG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Few updates about the websites

First the website layout has slightly changed. It used to be that the menu would drop down which you selected the menu button, it now comes in from the left side of the screen. Personally I liked the original way better

Also these stations have added the websites: WCAV (which also got a new bland logo in the process), KKTV, WOWT, WIFR, KTUU, KSPR, KYTV, KWCH, WDBJ, KOTA, WAGT, and WLUC (which kept the uppermichigansource.com domain)

Few updates about the websites

First the website layout has slightly changed. It used to be that the menu would drop down which you selected the menu button, it now comes in from the left side of the screen. Personally I liked the original way better

Also these stations have added the websites: WCAV (which also got a new bland logo in the process), KKTV, WOWT, WIFR, KTUU, KSPR, KYTV, KWCH, WDBJ, KOTA, WAGT, and WLUC (which kept the uppermichigansource.com domain)

Actually, WCAV has had that new logo for quite a while on air, but not online and WAGT's version is old news.

I've noticed that they are similar in setup to that of Nexstar's websites... Slight differences, but overall the same format

I was thinking when Gray went with the new design, Did Gray hired Lakana to do their websites?

WLUC still using Nexstar-esque domain and look from Barrington era. Sigh.

Their graphics right now seem to be a modified version of the WSTM/CNYCentral graphics (I think they went to them when they upgraded to widescreen SD). Gray's on a roll in the looks department lately so I hope they get something good out of it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hate to bump an old thread, but some insight into these sites. These sites were built in Bootstrap (an open-source web framework) by the Gray Digital Media team. These sites have some quirks, particularly they are built on top of the archaic Clickability CMS platform that Gray stations have used for the last ten years or more. While they are responsive, the mobile versions of these sites leave a lot to be desired in my honest opinion.

Every web story is "targeted" to the homepage which also serves as the "news" page. The previous site layouts allowed for multiple sections to target to like a "national" section or a "crime" section, but with the new layout, all stories are loaded into one big group which means those of us on the local end of things have to do some tweaking to the placements. Categories tend to be the only method of organization for these sites. Also, many viewers (particularly in my market) have trouble finding things from the "navigation menu" so we had to put extra buttons in our sidebar on our homepage for older viewers because they kept calling us with things like "I'm on your website but I have no idea how to get to such-and-such or where do I find such-and-such" even though it's listed under the navigation menu clearly.

On the local level, we can hand-code our own sidebar boxes (one of the only sections of the site we have full control over) or get GDM to do it for us. We can also request the header image, header logo, and the site primary and secondary colors (what you see in the nav bar) to be changed. However, customization is limited. Web stories are primarily hand-coded in HTML, with no WYSIWYG editor though this is apparently in the works.

Let's put it this way, my job has definitely helped me become a master at Bootstrap and HTML coding. However, our website has won several awards including "Best Website" by the Georgia Associated Press for a couple years in a row now. Despite its quirks, it's not the worst corporate web design out there but it's definitely not the best from a backend perspective.

Archived