NBC Olympic Logo and Local Stations

susquvalleywgal

I'm wondering if it is not as necessary anymore for the affiliates to use the Olympic rings in their logo's. If I remember correctly WMAQ didn't update their new logo to have the Olympic rings for London in 2012 and Sochi in 2014 like they had done in past years with their old logo.

I'm wondering if it is not as necessary anymore for the affiliates to use the Olympic rings in their logo's. If I remember correctly WMAQ didn't update their new logo to have the Olympic rings for London in 2012 and Sochi in 2014 like they had done in past years with their old logo.

I'm 99% sure they did.

UPDATE: Yes, they did...

ljsnap-2012-07-20-21h33m18s40.jpg

I'm 99% sure they did.

UPDATE: Yes, they did...

ljsnap-2012-07-20-21h33m18s40.jpg

Thanks for that! I couldn't remember for London if they did or not. Needless to say I believe WMAQ only puts on the rings right around the Olympics not for a long period of time like some other stations do. BTW: The set looks weird with the small screen's. Glad that didn't last too long.

Thanks for that! I couldn't remember for London if they did or not. Needless to say I believe WMAQ only puts on the rings right around the Olympics not for a long period of time like some other stations do. BTW: The set looks weird with the small screen's. Glad that didn't last too long.

Yeah, I went to one of those weird (to me) female newscaster blogs for the pic, and it appears that they didn't switch til like June.

NBC 5 (DFW not Chicagoland), NBC 4 DC, NBC 6, NBC Connecticut, and NBC 7 (cable #, actual channel #39) have the olympic logo on their website headers, but I'm surprised none of the other O&Os have it on their websites, and more so with the fact that none of them have the olympic logo with their main logo

KNSD hasn't shown the olympic bug on air, yet. Although, this time around, they are actually using the correct 7 with the Olympic rings. In previous years, they have used a weird modified 7, that was blue in promos, but white in the bug/logo.

newNBC7logo_zps9753b080.jpg

*Previous to rebranding as NBC 7, they never used the Olympic rings in the logo.

Yeah WBAL has been using their rings since the tv season began in September. They updated everything - the top of the hour logo/ID, the large & small version of their logo during programming and the special purple logo they do on Fridays for the Ravens (the rings stay translucent).

WBAL's is the same as WGAL's just with the 11 to the side.

image.jpeg.64d23e26b4d9fac7bb196b7ce0ba5f7e.jpeg

It has never been "necessary" to use the Olympics logo, AFAIK. At least not to the degree stations like WBAL does. There's actually a whole ordeal stations need to go through to get logos approved (and NBC doesn't approve the logos, the USOC does) and there's a bunch of guidelines and regulations about how the logo has to be designed and displayed (It's not a coincidence that the peacock and rings are almost always the same height as the station logo). I can see why stations opt out of using it.

The only thing stations get out of having an Olympics logo is a free matching animation for that year's Olympics.

Archived