WRAL loses CBS affiliation effective next month

bostonmediaguy

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's interesting, and happening so soon too (after the Super Bowl, lucky for WRAL-TV should the Panthers make it).

WRAL-TV was an NBC affiliate for a period in the late '50s and early '60s.

of WRAL announcing its last affiliation switch (ABC to CBS) in 1985.

I'm interested to know how friendly NBC is going to be with WRAL's frequent pre-emptions of primetime in favor of ACC basketball coverage, especially during the next Winter Olympics.

They could put the ACC games on WRAZ during the Olympics

I'm interested to know how friendly NBC is going to be with WRAL's frequent pre-emptions of primetime in favor of ACC basketball coverage, especially during the next Winter Olympics.

They could hand the ACC basketball coverage over to WRAZ

They could put the ACC games on WRAZ during the Olympics
Which was exactly what I just said

Wow. This shocked me in many ways. Apparently, its the reverse comp. agreement that has killed alot of stations sticking to long-time affiliates.

Who would've thought seeing WRAL-TV 5 as an NBC affiliate which also owns the FOX station there (WRAZ) and still... a CBS affiliate in Wilmington (WILM-LD).

This is...weird, especially given what happened to WISH. But in some ways, I wonder if the Raleigh deal been in the works for a while. It's been 2 years since WNCN had the NBC 17 brand, and I don't think WRAL has ever blatantly referenced its network affiliation on-air.

It looks abrupt on paper, but switches like this generally aren't. It'll at least be a smooth transition to the viewer, and while I don't think anyone can knock WRAL off the top ratings-wise, it'll be interesting to see where WNCN is v. WTVD in a year or so.

...!

I almost fell back in my chair reading this headline from TVNewsCheck.

It's about scale. Always has been, always will be. And super-huge Media General continues to reap the rewards of its big jump.

As to WILM, I imagine it will retain its CBS affiliation while continuing to air WRAL's newscasts, at least for the duration of its affiliation. Unfortunately WILM does not have a public file (low-power) and WECT's public file does not list specifics of its affiliation contracts.

Seeing how there's been several affiliation switches going on and potential ones that may happen if Tribune and the CW don't end up getting along. I think that a 1994 like reallignment may be coming soon.

You're right speaking 1994 like reallignment, Tribune hope launch a new network called un-name network sometimes Fall 2016 or Early 2017?

I'm not sure if this has changed but is WILM still simulcasting some newscasts while they produce weather segments aimed at Wilmington and how will that affect them?

Weekdays from 5-7am, Saturdays from 6-7am and nightly at 6 and 11pm.

Archived