KUSA to get a new set

roscoryan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully Tegna will open the pocketbook for KVUE and KENS. They're both way overdue. KVUE's set doesn't even have the right logo on it ... it's got old ones they retired more than a year ago.

Thank you! It's about damn time.

I honestly didn't think they would ever get a new set. They seemed to *love* that thing.

It wouldn't be surprising if they did. It's a massive set and one that's durable and built to last for ages. They definitely got their money's worth out of it. It's dated, yeah, but had this weird Denver feel to it. Had it been refreshed more over the years, it probably wouldn't have looked so dated. What's weird though is that this comes, what, just over a year after they dismantled the entire set to replace the floor?

KUSA' studio, when it debuted, was probably equivalent to what WSTP's current is in terms of size and grandeur. WSTP is gonna have that behemoth for a decade or more too.

It's about time! They've had that set for over a decade now and I believe they've had it since the HD switchover in 2004.

They have. They've had it even longer than the set it replaced (which lasted from 1996 until 2004).

KUSA seems to love everything about themselves.

SOMEONE open up the Pocketbook for WHAS 11!!!!! :)

They are in need for one. And maybe KXVA/KIDY too? I hate virtual sets because they never work. Does KXTV need it too? And how bout 13WMAZ? There are plenty that are in need of new sets.

Aside from the desk, it was a pretty timeless set

The closeup skyline shots always look great on the talent.

And that red/white/blue stripe connecting things to the Sardella days was a nice touch. Hope they're able to work those elements in.

Thank you! It's about damn time.

It wouldn't be surprising if they did. It's a massive set and one that's durable and built to last for ages. They definitely got their money's worth out of it. It's dated, yeah, but had this weird Denver feel to it. Had it been refreshed more over the years, it probably wouldn't have looked so dated. What's weird though is that this comes, what, just over a year after they dismantled the entire set to replace the floor?

KUSA' studio, when it debuted, was probably equivalent to what WSTP's current is in terms of size and grandeur. WSTP is gonna have that behemoth for a decade or more too.

Do you mean WTSP ?

They mentioned they were going to be in their Stadium Set for a few days while the older set was moved into Studio B. Does anyone have any pictures of that set?

I read an article on TVTechnology that said both Studios A&B are the same size. Was there anything going on in Studio B that would prevent them from building the new set there and using Studio A for whatever studio B was used for?

If there's any big market Tegna stations that need new sets, it would be KUSA and WKYC. If you think KUSA's set is old, WKYC has had its set since the move to Lakeside in 2001. It's had more refreshes than the Browns had coaches and outlived Romona Robinson's tenure on Channel 3 News.

If there's any big market Tegna stations that need new sets, it would be KUSA and WKYC. If you think KUSA's set is old, WKYC has had its set since the move to Lakeside in 1999. It's had more refreshes than the Browns had coaches and outlived Romona Robinson's tenure on Channel 3 News.

How many coaches did the Browns have and how many refreshes did WKYC's set have?

How many coaches did the Browns have and how many refreshes did WKYC's set have?

9 coaches. If the station has had that many refreshes, they might be an even worse-run organization than the Browns.

If there's any big market Tegna stations that need new sets, it would be KUSA and WKYC. If you think KUSA's set is old, WKYC has had its set since the move to Lakeside in 1999. It's had more refreshes than the Browns had coaches and outlived Romona Robinson's tenure on Channel 3 News.

They actually moved over there in 2001, WKYC is in need of a new set. I believe Devlin designed that set tho.

They actually moved over there in 2001, WKYC is in need of a new set. I believe Devlin designed that set tho.

The winner of this debate is 1999...

WKYC accomplished another first in Cleveland television history by becoming the first station in Northeast Ohio to broadcast in high-definition in 1999. Soon after Gannett bought full control of the station, it moved from its longtime studios in the former East Ohio Gas building on East Sixth Street in downtown Cleveland to its state-of-the-art Lakeside Avenue studio on the shores of Lake Erie, which Channel 3 refers to as its "digital broadcast center".

If there's any big market Tegna stations that need new sets, it would be KUSA and WKYC. If you think KUSA's set is old, WKYC has had its set since the move to Lakeside in 2001. It's had more refreshes than the Browns had coaches and outlived Romona Robinson's tenure on Channel 3 News.

FIXED!

I never understood the appeal of the recently demolished KUSA set, the human scale always seemed off and the fake tiny monitors were a very small market look considering it's the Denver market. I heard Tegna sent out a half-ass RFP for news sets for the group last year and almost all of the industry's best set designers passed. Gannett, aka Tegna has a reputation of not spending money on sets, graphics, equipment, etc. The impression some TV vendors have is that Gannett wants them to feel it's a privilege to work for Gannett and they should be willing to lose money in the process. Not something that typically attracts the cream of the crop when it comes to creativity. It will be interesting to see the new KUSA & KING sets and if the same culture of cheap still exists at Tegna.

I never understood the appeal of the recently demolished KUSA set, the human scale always seemed off and the fake tiny monitors were a very small market look considering it's the Denver market. I heard Tegna sent out a half-ass RFP for news sets for the group last year and almost all of the industry's best set designers passed. Gannett, aka Tegna has a reputation of not spending money on sets, graphics, equipment, etc. The impression some TV vendors have is that Gannett wants them to feel it's a privilege to work for Gannett and they should be willing to lose money in the process. Not something that typically attracts the cream of the crop when it comes to creativity. It will be interesting to see the new KUSA & KING sets and if the same culture of cheap still exists at Tegna.

How much does the average top 50 set cost?

A million+ or less?

You never see any numbers tossed around when discussing these things, and I'm sure cost vary greatly....but have you any ideas on recent cost of anyone's set?

How much does the average top 50 set cost?

A million+ or less?

You never see any numbers tossed around when discussing these things, and I'm sure cost vary greatly....but have you any ideas on recent cost of anyone's set?

Just for an estimate when WBZ got their new set it was $750,000 and on the previous FXGroup website said that their sets begin at $100,000.

I think one of the major cost factors of WBZ's set were the two 103" monitors which when they came out cost about $80-100,000.

Archived