WNBC to launch 4pm Newscast (Report)

B2r4a6n

No offense taken. I wasn't trying to offend you either, it just seemed that you were starting to throw out all kinds of names.

Not sure where you get that I'm fan of one or the other though. But if I was hypothetically a fan of Sibila why would I want her at 5pm? What's the correlation? I, presumably like you, am curious to see how all this pans out.

I thought you were maybe it was someone else? Oh well just excited/anxious to see how it all pans out which is probably I keep posting all these names

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shiba is filling in again at MSNBC for "Way Too Early"... Wondering if it's foreshadowing of a change

Doesn't Betty Nguyen usually host that? Betty had her baby a few weeks ago so wonder if they are using Shiba as a fill in? Or network is trying to woo her away from local. Anyhow as of lately she's barely done her own shift its either been filling in at 5, 6 & 11 or filling in on NBC/MSNBC

It's too soon to tell what changes might come but I have the feeling that WNBC may use this opportunity to change/update some things, new anchor team at 4?, updated graphics and set?... Stay tuned :)

I honestly don't see an entire new anchor team for 4 either one of the current evening teams or a shuffling of anchors.

Doesn't Betty Nguyen usually host that? Betty had her baby a few weeks ago so wonder if they are using Shiba as a fill in? Or network is trying to woo her away from local. Anyhow as of lately she's barely done her own shift its either been filling in at 5, 6 & 11 or filling in on NBC/MSNBC

I've seen her pop on that for a few weeks now.

You're thinking of Early Today and First Look, which Nguyen usually host (and are basically the same show). Way Too Early has had a smorgasbord of hosts since they moved Thomas Roberts to afternoon. I can think of recent hosts also including The Blaze's Amy Holmes, Morning Joe producer Louis Burgdorf, Jonathan Capehart of the WashPost and Ayman Mohyeldin.

Sue Simmons might do well for a 4 pm show. Live @ 4? Doubt it will happen tho. Don't be shocked if Chuck retires in late May with David and/or Rob taking over his spots.

Isn't sue simmons effectively retired?

I don't think WCBS will want to give up Judge Judy in place of news.. That's a big lead in for the 5:00

They could bring back the 4:30 show which they had years ago. New episode of Judge Judy is at 4, repeat is at 4:30.

They could bring back the 4:30 show which they had years ago. New episode of Judge Judy is at 4, repeat is at 4:30.

During the "Grandeur" era, WCBS had an hourly 4pm show. Judy was on WNBC at the time, and Oprah was dominant on 7.

I strongly doubt Channel 2 would follow suit. If they would come close to having a 4pm, they'll probably do it on WLNY, but that alone would probably tank in viewership.

Rob would never get Chucks spot.. It will most likely be David and he deserves it

Hmm not so sure. Up until Tom Llamas left for ABC David seldom ever filled in for Chuck it was either Tom or Rob Schmitt. I wouldn't be surprised if Rob or a new comer got Chucks shift. After all plenty thought Pat Battle or a seasoned veteran would get Sue Simmons 11 pm time slot and that was handed to Shiba Russell who at the time had only been with WNBC for a little over a year. Hired as weekend anchor 6 months later promoted to noon & 5 pm anchor a few months after that promoted to 11 pm anchor. moved back to noon & 5 pm anchor February 2014 now noon & 5:30pm anchor late 2014 - present.

Yeah. I can see Rob taking over for Chuck as poor of a decision as that would be. Natalie I can see moving to weekdays if Shiba or Sibla leave. David might leave if he is passed over at 11 unless he can get a network gig.

During the "Grandeur" era, WCBS had an hourly 4pm show. Judy was on WNBC at the time, and Oprah was dominant on 7.

I strongly doubt Channel 2 would follow suit. If they would come close to having a 4pm, they'll probably do it on WLNY, but that alone would probably tank in viewership.

yes but there was a period (During the 2nd Ernie Anastos era at WCBS) when it was just a 30 minute broadcast at 4:30. I believe he anchored with Dana Tyler at 4:30, 6:00, & 11:00 at the time.

Here is a schedule I think could make everyone happy:

Weekdays

Morning- Darlene Rodriguez & Michael Gargiulo

Noon- Shiba Russell & Rob Schmitt

4:00- Sibila Vargas & Rob Schmitt (They worked together @ KCBS in L.A. and have great chemistry)

5:00-Shiba Russell & David Ushery

6:00- Sibila Vargas & Chuck Scarborough

7:00- David Ushery

11:00- Sibila Vargas & Chuck Scarborough

Weekends

Morning- Pat Battle & Gus Rosendale

6:00 & 11:00- Natalie Pasquerella

This lineup keeps most of the current teams intact except for switching the 5:00 PM news back to 1 hour and 1 team. Sibila & Chuck stay the faces of the station at 6:00 & 11:00, and David Ushery gets a much deserved 2nd hour of air time while also giving the 7:00 PM show a permanent anchor.

WCAU does a great job of marketing their 4pm news as an alternative to WPVI's fluffier 4pm, even starting with 20 minutes of nonstop news. They use the same team as 6pm and 11pm.

One of the anchors that leads WCAU's 4PM attack is Jim Rosenfield. Just wanted to throw that out there as who among Rob and David would be Chuck's successor.

Jim Rosenfield coming back to WNBC to take over for Chuck may not be likely tho is not impossible either. WNBC wanted Jim to take over for Chuck someday tho he left for the opportunity to be the lead anchor at WCBS when that spot opened after Ernie Anastos went to WNYW. It's more likely then Matt Lauer tho less likely then Rob or David.

I

Here is a schedule I think could make everyone happy:

Weekdays

Morning- Darlene Rodriguez & Michael Gargiulo

Noon- Shiba Russell & Rob Schmitt

4:00- Sibila Vargas & Rob Schmitt (They worked together @ KCBS in L.A. and have great chemistry)

5:00-Shiba Russell & David Ushery

6:00- Sibila Vargas & Chuck Scarborough

7:00- David Ushery

11:00- Sibila Vargas & Chuck Scarborough

Weekends

Morning- Pat Battle & Gus Rosendale

6:00 & 11:00- Natalie Pasquerella

I think Chuck's contract is up soon. I doubt he will remain an anchor. Maybe a Senior Correspondent.

With all due respect, while I like the creativity of the Rosenfield proposition, he's 57 years old, nearly a decade on Ushery, and as many as two on Schmitt. If Sibila and Shiba are any indication, the bosses aren't about to bring in ANYONE pushing 60. Heck, David might be too old for them.

Archived