WNBC to launch 4pm Newscast (Report)

B2r4a6n

variety.com/2016/tv/news/meredith-viera-show-cancelled-1201671093/ ...With the cancellation of the Meredith Vieira Show at the end of this season at the bottom of this Variety article it states that KNBC in Los Angeles and WNBC here in New York in addition to two other markets will get 4pm newscasts confirming the rumors.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what's going to happen to KNTV, as they were not mentioned in the article. Will they also get a 4pm?

I assume some of the others (WMAQ, WCAU, WRC, KNSD) will get Access Hollywood Live as a replacement for Meredith, as most of the stations without a 4pm currently carry that (WNBC, KNBC, KNTV, WTVJ, WVIT). KXAS is in a different position as they don't carry the half-hour Access Hollywood, KDFW does, but KDFW does not carry the hour-long Access Hollywood Live, so maybe KXAS can pick it up as well.

As far as anchors are concerned, I assume the current afternoon and evening teams will be used:

WNBC: Chuck Scarborough/Sibilia Vargas, David Ushery/Shiba Russell

KNBC: Chuck Henry/Colleen Williams, Michael Brownlee/Carolyn Johnson

WTVJ: Jawan Strader/Jackie Nespral, Adam Kuperstein/Trina Robinson

WVIT: Gerry Brooks/Keisha Grant, Brad Drazen/Kerri-Lee Mayland

and if KNTV follows suit: Rak Mathai/Jessica Aguirre, NEW/Janelle Wang

This probably should have been posted in the General forum, as it extends beyond WNBC.

If WNBC wants it to work they need the right team. And even then I don't see them beating 2 or 7 at 4:00..

Here's my thoughts for anchors:

Noon, 4 and 6: David Ushery, Shiba Russell and Dave Price with weather

5,11: Chuck and Sibilia with Janice on weather.

If WNBC wants it to work they need the right team. And even then I don't see them beating 2 or 7 at 4:00..

Here's my thoughts for anchors:

Noon, 4 and 6: David Ushery, Shiba Russell and Dave Price with weather

5,11: Chuck and Sibilia with Janice on weather.

Don't think they wanna mess with the current 6 pm team of Chuck and Sibila so more then likely Shiba and David will take on the entire 5 pm newscast, Chuck & Sibila at 4 in a addition to 6 & 11. Janice once again does 5, 6 & 11 with Dave Price taking on the 4 pm. Shiba & Rob/David will continue as noon anchors.

I wonder what's going to happen to KNTV, as they were not mentioned in the article. Will they also get a 4pm?

I assume some of the others (WMAQ, WCAU, WRC, KNSD) will get Access Hollywood Live as a replacement for Meredith, as most of the stations without a 4pm currently carry that (WNBC, KNBC, KNTV, WTVJ, WVIT). KXAS is in a different position as they don't carry the half-hour Access Hollywood, KDFW does, but KDFW does not carry the hour-long Access Hollywood Live, so maybe KXAS can pick it up as well.

As far as anchors are concerned, I assume the current afternoon and evening teams will be used:

WNBC: Chuck Scarborough/Sibilia Vargas, David Ushery/Shiba Russell

KNBC: Chuck Henry/Colleen Williams, Michael Brownlee/Carolyn Johnson

WTVJ: Jawan Strader/Jackie Nespral, Adam Kuperstein/Trina Robinson

WVIT: Gerry Brooks/Keisha Grant, Brad Drazen/Kerri-Lee Mayland

and if KNTV follows suit: Rak Mathai/Jessica Aguirre, NEW/Janelle Wang

This probably should have been posted in the General forum, as it extends beyond WNBC.

WTVJ this what I see happening:

Jackie & Jawan 4, 6 & 11 (Jackie & Jawan loose the 5 pm but are still the face of 6 & 11)

Adam & Trina hour long 5 pm newscast

KNBC. Colleen & Chuck Continuing as 11 pm anchors with Chuck moving off the 5 pm and taking on the 4 pm will continuing as 6 & 11 pm anchor. Michael Brownlee joins Colleen at 5 pm and Carolyn Johnson adds 4 pm in addition to her noon & 6 pm duties.

Colleen will remain at her current 5 & 11 pm duties.

'MAQ will still have a 30 minute hole in the afternoon schedule. Hopefully, filling it by expanding the 4:30pm news back to 4 and moving Extra to whatever hour they put Access Live.

AH Live is a one-hour program.

Here's what I would like to see:

Noon: Darlene & Michael

4: Shiba & David

5: Chuck & Sibila

6: Shiba & David

11: Chuck & Sibila

The morning team can do the Noon because it's a short half hour newscast.

---

My gut however tells me that WNBC is just going to mix it up leaving one hundred different teams throughout the day.

This is also great news as I have mentioned before for WABC because they will easily beat a WNBC newscast at 4. It'll also be interesting to see what WCBS does.

I've said this before and I'll say it again the only changes that more then likely will happen is Shiba & David taking the entire 5 pm hour with Sibila & Chuck taking on the 4 pm in addition to 6 & 11 pm. If WNBC wanted Shiba & David to do the 6 pm then they would've pulled Sibila & Chuck off the 6 pm and gave them entire 5 pm not just a measly 30 minutes at 5. Let's not forget Chuck has been the face of the 6 pm newscast for much of his career at WNBC except for maybe a few years during the time he was anchoring NY Nightly News.

Noon : Shiba & Rob

4: Sibila & Chuck

5: Shiba & David

6: Sibila & Chuck

11: Sibila & Chuck.

I've said this before and I'll say it again the only changes that more then likely will happen is Shiba & David taking the entire 5 pm hour with Sibila & Chuck taking on the 4 pm in addition to 6 & 11 pm. If WNBC wanted Shiba & David to do the 6 pm then they would've pulled Sibila & Chuck off the 6 pm and gave them entire 5 pm not just a measly 30 minutes at 5. Let's not forget Chuck has been the face of the 6 pm newscast for much of his career at WNBC except for maybe a few years during the time he was anchoring NY Nightly News.

Noon : Shiba & Rob

4: Sibila & Chuck

5: Shiba & David

6: Sibila & Chuck

11: Sibila & Chuck.

Just because you've said it a million times, it doesn't mean you're right. While I think Chuck and Sibila will do 4/6/11, I do think the other scenario where they do 5/11 is plausible. Also, the noon is split between Rob and David.

I personally think Chuck is too serious/hard news to anchor a 4pm newscast. They could brand their 4pm newscast as "more news than First at 4pm" or whatever but I don't see that succeeding either. I mean either way it will probably be a lose/lose situation at 4pm for WNBC.

This wasn't directed at me but because it does relate to my post I will respond. I prefaced my entire post with "Here's what I would like to see" for this exact reason. I, like you, don't expect Chuck and Sibila to be taken off the 6pm but that is what I would like to see.

Just because you've said it a million times, it doesn't mean you're right.

Something always seemingly lost on this site.

I personally think Chuck is too serious/hard news to anchor a 4pm newscast. They could brand their 4pm newscast as "more news than First at 4pm" or whatever but I don't see that succeeding either. I mean either way it will probably be a lose/lose situation at 4pm for WNBC.

This wasn't directed at me but because it does relate to my post I will respond. I prefaced my entire post with "Here's what I would like to see" for this exact reason. I, like you, don't expect Chuck and Sibila to be taken off the 6pm but that is what I would like to see.

Exactly.

They could even pair Sibila with say Pat Battle or Natalie Pasquarella. Even Marc Santia who's been anchoring the 7 pm can anchor at 4 or even Lynda Baquero.

Just because you've said it a million times, it doesn't mean you're right. While I think Chuck and Sibila will do 4/6/11, I do think the other scenario where they do 5/11 is plausible. Also, the noon is split between Rob and David.

Never claimed to be right but as I said before WNBC more then likely doesn't want to mess with the 6 pm team. The 5 pm will more then likely see the biggest changes with either a completely new pair taking on the 4 or Sibila taking on the 4 with another current WNBCer (not Chuck Scarborough)

And the only reason I feel they split the 5 pm into 2 half hour newscasts is because WNBC for some reason or other didn't feel like having Chuck & Shiba on for entire hour at 5 pm wouldn't have been a good fit nor would having Rob & Shiba or David & Shiba for the entire 5 pm hour.

WCAU does a great job of marketing their 4pm news as an alternative to WPVI's fluffier 4pm, even starting with 20 minutes of nonstop news. They use the same team as 6pm and 11pm.

Now my imaginary what I want but won't ever happen teams would be:

4 & 6 pm Sibila & Chuck

5 & 11 pm Shiba & Gadi Schwartz (currently at KNBC)

They could even pair Sibila with say Pat Battle or Natalie Pasquarella. Even Marc Santia who's been anchoring the 7 pm can anchor at 4 or even Lynda Baquero.

Or maybe they can have Sue come back and co-anchor with Dean Shepperd or Matt Lauer or Jane Hansen or Perri Peltz. Maybe Meredith can co-anchor essentially replacing herself. Or maybe .... yes there a million maybes we can come up with, so why don't we try to stick to realistic possibilities?

Or maybe they can have Sue come back and co-anchor with Dean Shepperd or Matt Lauer or Jane Hansen or Perri Peltz. Maybe Meredith can co-anchor essentially replacing herself. Or maybe .... yes there a million maybes we can come up with, so why don't we try to stick to realistic possibilities?

I am staying with realistic possibilities which is keeping Chuck & Sibila the face of the 6 & 11 pm shows with Shiba and David taking on the entire 5 pm show. Everyone else was posting what they would like to see so why not join in. And if they wanted to put Shiba & David at 6 don't you think they would've given Sibila & Chuck the entire 5 pm hour by now and not just the first 30 minutes?

I am staying with realistic possibilities which is keeping Chuck & Sibila the face of the 6 & 11 pm shows with Shiba and David taking on the entire 5 pm show. Everyone else was posting what they would like to see so why not join in. And if they wanted to put Shiba & David at 6 don't you think they would've given Sibila & Chuck the entire 5 pm hour by now and not just the first 30 minutes?

I was referring to the million other names you mentioned.

I was referring to the million other names you mentioned.

Btw not trying to be hard on you just trying to set realistic expectations I know your more of Sibila fan then you are of Shiba which probably why you want Sibila & Chuck at 5 pm but was just trying to be realistic with the current evening lineup that's all. No offense to you or anyone else.

Btw not trying to be hard on you just trying to set realistic expectations I know your more of Sibila fan then you are of Shiba which probably why you want Sibila & Chuck at 5 pm but was just trying to be realistic with the current evening lineup that's all. No offense to you or anyone else.

No offense taken. I wasn't trying to offend you either, it just seemed that you were starting to throw out all kinds of names.

Not sure where you get that I'm fan of one or the other though. But if I was hypothetically a fan of Sibila why would I want her at 5pm? What's the correlation? I, presumably like you, am curious to see how all this pans out.

Archived