Boston TV crisis: WHDH and WNEU

TheRolyPoly

So, in regards to the original rumor, I'm more than a little confused. Correct me if I'm wrong:

• WCVB would become an NBC O&O (new owner, new affilation)
  • WMUR and WMTW would be Hearst-owned NBC stations (same owner, new affilation)
  • KNSD and WVIT would also be Hearst-owned NBC stations (new owner. same affilation)
  • Other Hearst ABC's could go NBC

That really makes no sense, and sounds incredibly one-sided. One would think ABC would have something to say about all this, or does Hearst giving up their fifth of ESPN somehow balance that?

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
or does Hearst giving up their fifth of ESPN somehow balance that?

I feel like the only thing that this solves is relieving the conflict of interest of being a station group exclusively affiliated with one network while having an ownership stake in the other. I agree with you, it seems like ABC gets the short end of the stick on this one, so no idea why they'd ever agree to it.

That really makes no sense, and sounds incredibly one-sided. One would think ABC would have something to say about all this, or does Hearst giving up their fifth of ESPN somehow balance that?

If it's true, then there's got to be more to the story than that. Some sort of falling out between Hearst and ABC/Disney?

Some sort of falling out between Hearst and ABC/Disney?

Well, I think it was said somwhere earlier in this thread that, of the major broadcast networks, ABC plays hardball with its affiliates moreso than the others. Maybe it's related to that.

Okay, I think it's time this thread get taken out back and get put out of it's misery. When a thread becomes nothing but wild speculation and call-outs towards other users, that's when you know it's outlived it's usefulness.

If something happens regarding WHDH or the new NBC Boston, it's at the point where they should probably just get their own threads.

:smash:

Archived