New Cox Media Websites Coming?

TennTV1983

WHBQ in Memphis has launched a new website this week (no more MyFox branding) that's different from the current web layouts at the other Cox stations at the moment.

See it here: http://www.fox13memphis.com

Could this be a preview of what's to come for the websites of WSB-TV and the others?

EDIT: Feel free to move this thread if I posted it in the wrong place.

Yeah, seems like MyFOX won't go anywhere. Sad.

Either that or they have something going on. Why WHBQ seems to get the attention and resources while their largest market gets crap amazes me.

There is a "we were forced to acquire this station so we are running it under protest" vibe going on at WFXT.

Either that or they have something going on. Why WHBQ seems to get the attention and resources while their largest market gets crap amazes me.

There is a "we were forced to acquire this station so we are running it under protest" vibe going on at WFXT.

I don't think they are running WFXT under protest. If they were it would make no sense because that would be a stupid thing to do business wise, plus if they were running the stations under protest then WHBQ wouldn't be getting all these investments. The fact that WHBQ is being invested in shows that Cox is looking to improve these stations. I honestly think everything at WFXT is a place holder until they can put there own touch on it (something tells me they can't stand the Fox O&O logo and want all traces of it gone from the stations).

Maybe they're waiting to trade it to another group. Tribune or Tegna, perhaps?

Tribune's almost capped and WFXT would bring them over the 39% cap even with the UHF discount, not to mention they might not want to give up their stations.

TEGNA might be willing to trade, but in exchange for what station? Not to mention that if Media General wins the proxy fight against Nexstar, they might trade a station, or there's the possibility that Scripps could buy or trade one of their larger stations for WFXT.

My goodness. All the crazy conspiracy theories that people come up with.

COX is NOT showing any disdain for WFXT, if they were, they would have sold or traded the station already. Second, the GM of WFXT came over from KTVU where the approach to almost everything was very conservative. i.e.: if it ain't broken, don't mess with it. There is nothing wrong with the set. Graphics and branding were going to change no matter what- whether people like or dislike it, is irrelevant. They changed to suit the brand image the GM/COX wanted.

The "love" that WHBQ is getting from COX is nothing more remodeling an old house that was falling apart after years of neglect. COX had no choice but to invest into the station as FOX has always treated that station as a red-headed step child. If COX really wanted to show its unconditional "love" for the station, they would have gone out and gotten them a new set- not a hand-me down from WFTV.

From all accounts, COX is a consultant-driven company. Things get done at a glacial pace...

My goodness. All the crazy conspiracy theories that people come up with.

COX is NOT showing any disdain for WFXT, if they were, they would have sold or traded the station already. Second, the GM of WFXT came over from KTVU where the approach to almost everything was very conservative. i.e.: if it ain't broken, don't mess with it. There is nothing wrong with the set. Graphics and branding were going to change no matter what- whether people like or dislike it, is irrelevant. They changed to suit the brand image the GM/COX wanted.

FINALLY... somebody here with some common sense. Thank you!

I think a lot of folks in this thread are forgetting about the investments being made in Boston in terms of technology upgrades and talent hires. They had to build out a master control, an art department, most likely numerous other upgrades to get up to snuff from where Fox was lacking. If I recall correctly, I also heard about purchasing several new live trucks. They hired quite a few folks. These things aren't cheap and while they got somewhat of a blank check at the start, we're now a year in and they are subject to the standard budgeting process like any other station. If Cox was looking to spin off WFXT, they wouldn't have sent half of KTVU to run it. They're building the place to win and that takes time.

I agree with the last 2 posts. Cox isn't spinning off WFXT. They are a research driven company and take their time making sure they understand the market. Just look at how long it took them to do anything in Jacksonville. They are making investments in both Boston and Memphis. If you saw the condition of WHBQ's building when Cox took over, you would understand why that was a priority.

I agree with the last 2 posts. Cox isn't spinning off WFXT. They are a research driven company and take their time making sure they understand the market. Just look at how long it took them to do anything in Jacksonville. They are making investments in both Boston and Memphis. If you saw the condition of WHBQ's building when Cox took over, you would understand why that was a priority.

And in Memphis, the disrepair runs all the way back to RKO General ownership.

And in Memphis, the disrepair runs all the way back to RKO General ownership.

Now that I think about it, Fox wanted to sell or trade both stations (especially WHBQ) and buy KTVU but couldn't do either until last year when they did both

FINALLY... somebody here with some common sense. Thank you!

I think a lot of folks in this thread are forgetting about the investments being made in Boston in terms of technology upgrades and talent hires. They had to build out a master control, an art department, most likely numerous other upgrades to get up to snuff from where Fox was lacking. If I recall correctly, I also heard about purchasing several new live trucks. They hired quite a few folks. These things aren't cheap and while they got somewhat of a blank check at the start, we're now a year in and they are subject to the standard budgeting process like any other station. If Cox was looking to spin off WFXT, they wouldn't have sent half of KTVU to run it. They're building the place to win and that takes time.

TEGNA and Tribune already owns 39% FCC cap, and both company don't buy it!

Sorry, Part of swap agreement last year of 2014. FOX owns NFC and KTVU rights to 49ers?
Not to mention that by 2014 all the other 3 stations were owned and operated by their respective networks and as I just mentioned Fox wanted to buy KTVU and/or sell WHBQ, but couldn't do either until 2014 when they got to do both in a trade deal.

TEGNA and Tribune already owns 39% FCC cap, and both company don't buy it!
Tribune's the one at 39% (with the UHF discount). TEGNA still has some room to grow because it's at about 30%

Not to mention that by 2014 all the other 3 stations were owned and operated by their respective networks and as I just mentioned Fox wanted to buy KTVU and/or sell WHBQ, but couldn't do either until 2014 when they got to do both in a trade deal.

Tribune's the one at 39% (with the UHF discount). TEGNA still has some room to grow because it's at about 30%

However, FCC Spectrum Auction Next Year.

WHBQ's building was rot gut, and Cox is trying to turn it into a gem..well sorta of. Do you feel if Cox told Fox Hell No we won't sell KTVU. KTVU would go back to being an Indy outlet, and FOX scoops up KRON4 as a FOX O&O? KTVU did really well as an Indy before FOX, but now with that affiliation agreement would have cost them lots of $$$ like it did WISH-TV in Indy. Your're very right about Cox and how they are very research heavy, and still one of the strongest broadcasting companies to date.

Surprise FOX itself didn't do any repairs to WHBQ when they owned them.

It's all about the return on investment. FOX probably has way more projects with a higher return on investment than Cox does, so naturally updating WHBQ is a high priority now that there is different ownership.

Archived