Should I pursue broadcast graphic design?

Brain

Ten years ago, I was given a copy of Adobe Photoshop. I became obsessed with making new creations and seeing what I can make with it. I even pursued a graphic design class in tech school (I guess I took for granted that it was print-only design), only after I finished I suddenly lost interest in graphic design and focused on other things. Here, a few years later, and I want to re-kindle what I once said I was interested in doing after school. If you guys can answer my questions I'll really appreciate it.

What software should I acquire to prepare to learn about designing graphics for broadcast or web video?

Should I even still consider pursuing this path?

Would I need to move somewhere else eventually?

Short answer: no.

Long answer yes, but...

Broadcast graphic design jobs are becoming tougher to find and in a lot of smaller markets tend to be wrapped in with production department jobs. Then there is the whole graphics hub trend which means unless you're willing to work in Colorado, Florida or Texas, you're out of luck. In larger markets, most stations may only have one designer at the station and they will hang onto those jobs forever (they're easy and the hub is doing all the work).

Compensation? Depends. In a medium market I made 30-40k. In a large market now, around 100k but that's incredibly rare to get too these days. I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time and I'm also in a management position.

Local news is dying, I'd avoid it. If you want to design for TV, head for network or an agency -- but you have to be really good. (Your past experience does not matter at all if you're good, just need a good reel and need to be a good culture fit. Seriously.)

If you're not good, look into digital. Plenty of websites have a need for a motion designer for opens, lower thirds, etc... Yahoo, AOL... there's no shortage of those jobs out there. Shoot me a DM if you want to talk a little more about it.

Are you sure you don't want to branch out? You should consider that.

If you feel that you have a good sense of design, you could perhaps try designing logotypes or typefaces, demand for which transcends media.

Archived