Presidential Address

newsanchor26

Sunday Night at 8pm Eastern, President Obama will deliver an address from the Oval Office, a major decision -- only the third time he has done so in his presidency. It will focus on terror following the attack in San Bernardino.

These types of addresses are usually carried by the networks. There was controversy in late 2014 when the broadcast networks did not carry the President's address on immigration reform. This time around, I want to believe short notice is to blame

CBS - Wont air on network. Will stream on CBSN

ABC - Unknown

NBC - Unknown. Sunday Night Football is currently scheduled

MSNBC - Unknown. Sex Slaves is currently scheduled

CNN - Wolf Blitzer will anchor live coverage, pushing the debut of "CNN Heroes" back an hour

FOX News - Unknown

According to TVLine:

Potentially affected programs airing at 8/7c include:

Fox’s Sunday lineup (starting with The Simpsons and Brooklyn Nine-Nine) will be pushed back 15 minutes, the expected length of Obama’s speech.

ABC’s Sunday lineup (starting with Once Upon a Time‘s fall finale) will be pushed back 15 minutes, the expected length of Obama’s speech.

CBS (which has a two-hour 60 Minutes starting at 7pm) and NBC (Sunday Night Football kicks off at 8:30) have yet to announce any scheduling changes.

TVLine will update this URL with each network’s coverage plan/possible preemptions or delays, as they are determined.

CBS - Wont air on network. Will stream on CBSN

Actually CBS is airing it to the network, with Scott Pelley anchoring. This is a pretty major address especially in comparison to the 2014 immigration address, no way CBS would not be covering it.

NBC's in a real pickle. A presidential address is a really big deal; but if they preempt the first half-hour of the football game, there are going to be a lot of pissed off viewers (and affiliates, who'll have to deal with their complaints). In a plurality of people's minds: Football > Everything else.

NBC's in a real pickle. A presidential address is a really big deal; but if they preempt the first half-hour of the football game, there are going to be a lot of pissed off viewers (and affiliates, who'll have to deal with their complaints). In a plurality of people's minds: Football > Everything else.

The game doesn't actually start until 8:30 eastern... Obama is on at 8 and he'll supposedly only take fifteen minutes.

The game doesn't actually start until 8:30 eastern... Obama is on at 8 and he'll supposedly only take fifteen minutes.

and then you'll see this on the internet (warning N word)

http://deadspin.com/5968935/take-that-nigger-off-the-tv-we-wanna-watch-football-idiots-respond-to-nbc-pre-empting-sunday-night-football

They'll be fine. As already noted the game itself starts at 8:30pm ET. So, the only thing that will be pre-empted is FNIA. And, if they wanted air it in it's entirety they could shuttle it over to NBCSN.

The late afternoon games should be wrapped up by then as well. So, the "big 4" should be fine to air the speech without any major programming issues. To the last sentence of your post...If I was a betting man I'd wager that (at least partially) weighed into why the 7pm ET time was chosen. Provided the late afternoon games don't run extra long that small window is literally the only time there isn't any NFL game action going on from 1pm ET Sunday until the conclusion of SNF.

They'll be fine. As already noted the game itself starts at 8:30pm ET. So, the only thing that will be pre-empted is FNIA. And, if they wanted air it in it's entirety they could shuttle it over to NBCSN.

The late afternoon games should be wrapped up by then as well. So, the "big 4" should be fine to air the speech without any major programming issues. To the last sentence of your post...If I was a betting man I'd wager that (at least partially) weighed into why the 7pm ET time was chosen. Provided the late afternoon games don't run extra long that small window is literally the only time there isn't any NFL game action going on from 1pm ET Sunday until the conclusion of SNF.

You mean 8pm ET.

how is ABC going to handle Once Upon a Time just asking? same thing with Cowboys Redskins on NBC?

ABC: see above

NBC: they will let ESPN handle the Redskins and Cowboys on Monday night. As for the game that is actually on NBC, Colts-Steelers, see above.

Really, did you put any thought into your post?

I'm still wondering about whether the DC stations will air it locally or not

They will likely carry the network feed, as I suppose they always do when it's a national story and not local specific.

You know, I may just give up visiting this site as my New Year's resolution. I swear the dumbness factor has spiked in the past few months and the common sense level has taken a nose dive.

From what I saw... CBS stayed on the longest but returned to the special 2-hour "60 Minutes" after commercials. NBC went immediately back to SNF after the address. FOX advised viewers to watch FOX News Channel for analysis and reaction as FOX's all-new "Sunday Funday" lineup needed to start and ABC, I believe, went back to their normal primetime programming after the address.

Univision also carried the address in Spanish before going to "La Banda." I'm not sure if Telemundo carried it.

You mean 8pm ET.

D'oh! Thanks for the correction. I slipped into thinking my "local time" (ie: CT) and, appended ET to the 7pm...oops.

You know, I may just give up visiting this site as my New Year's resolution. I swear the dumbness factor has spiked in the past few months and the common sense level has taken a nose dive.

I'm right there with you! I'm usually super tolerant and I realize not all posters have the same insight or maturity, etc. But, man it's gotten rough the past couple of months. I fully expected yet another list thread along the lines of "How is your station covering the Presidential Address?" So, I guess I can consider that a win.

Archived