CBS Sports debuts new logo

swillh2k2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it's a shame. Those actually looked classy...

Meanwhile, for some reason over the past few seasons, CBS always used the March Madness graphics/music package for championship week (amended with the normal NCAA on CBS logo, of course). This year, however, they aren't. Two possible reasons: 1. They needed to break in their month-old graphics some more.

But reason #2? I am certain there's going to be new March Madness graphics this year.

What I'm quite shocked is that despite the design overhauls elsewhere (the new courts look cool), that they didn't work in the new branding scheme the NCAA introduced this year. They have a standardized logo template for all of its championships now. Thankfully, it's not a generic one-size-fits-all affair like the Super Bowl, given that next year's logo actually, while sharing the same overall structure, still manages to look distinct.

If the courts are any indication, there's now an official NCAA March Madness logo now too (which seriously should've been used by CBS/Turner in my opinion).

That is too damn tall. It's like they added an additional line for timeouts, even though you can see the negative space below the team name where those indicators are supposed to be.

Idiots.

That basically, is what CBS's new graphics would look like if they were "touched up" by the Monday Night Football designers.

I'm almost glad TSN almost always takes an ESPN-produced world feed for the Final Four (yes. It exists. Although Dick Vitale's response to Duke's win wasn't as exciting as I thought it'd be)

I'm very underwhelmed by the score banner that debuted tonight with the First Four coverage, which feels like the over-large American Sports Network banners. Why we're still trying to coddle 4:3 viewers (when NBC finally became only the second broadcast network to go all-16:9 this month) by keeping all the information in the safe area is beyond me, and I hated the 'block the screen' elements of Fox's first NFL HD banner package which was mercifully excised in their next version, but is now repeated in this package; now I can't see anything on the bottom of the screen, especially if game action is going on there. CBS's graphics looked fine in the Super Bowl, but the NCAA package feels filling space that doesn't need filling. Although ESPN's package leaves much to desired, at least the graphics stay out of the way.

They need to be much smaller, I can barely see the game! First the Two Hour Selection Show and now these gigantic graphics!

What do you need to see down there that the scorebar is obscuring? Other than the choice of font (I hate DIN as a broadcast font) I think the package is just fine. It's not like they're putting up lowers during game play. "Can barely see the game" is quite the hyperbole.

It is like they mixed elements of the new CBS package with the previously used graphics, and Turner influenced elements .

All it would take to make this package somewhat normal is to have the part saying " 2016 NCAA _____1st Round" as a either a single line, or not included on the scorebar and then decreasing the font size.

What do you need to see down there that the scorebar is obscuring? Other than the choice of font (I hate DIN as a broadcast font) I think the package is just fine. It's not like they're putting up lowers during game play. "Can barely see the game" is quite the hyperbole.

I'm one who wants to see as much as possible on the screen, so if someone takes a 3 on the bottom of the screen the shooter isn't fully visible. The graphical approach from 'displaying plenty of statistics' to moving back to 'back to basics' that made watching NBC Sports in 1997 like going back in time is annoying; we have 1920x1080 pixels here and larger screens. We don't need to go back to the large font sizes of the past.

says you with good eyes.

I'm one who wants to see as much as possible on the screen, so if someone takes a 3 on the bottom of the screen the shooter isn't fully visible. The graphical approach from 'displaying plenty of statistics' to moving back to 'back to basics' that made watching NBC Sports in 1997 like going back in time is annoying; we have 1920x1080 pixels here and larger screens. We don't need to go back to the large font sizes of the past.

I'm one who wants to see as much as possible on the screen, so if someone takes a 3 on the bottom of the screen the shooter isn't fully visible.

This isn't true at all. Every game I've watched this past weekend, the game camera operator compensated for this and adjusted their shot accordingly when needed. Problem solved.

• 3 weeks later...

The Masters started today, and no shock of course that Augusta National looked at the graphics and said "not yet". Still the circa-2007 Helvetica-heavy package, and it'll be interesting to see how the new square logo is fit into the old circle template where the CBSS logo goes (ESPN's logo was right in the circle).

You must be thinking of the graphics from before then (which were literally the old old CBS graphics with the colors from the then-current CBS golf graphics). The current look is nice; it's unique, not ancient looking, and quite elegant.

And also, no they just use the bare CBS eye on the leaderboard.

Also; for the Final Four, Canada got an ESPN-produced feed with their normal commentators (this year it was Sean McDonough and Dick Vitale. Last year it was Shulman and Vitale). Yes, while it doesn't take up as much of the screen, you begin to have fears of what an ESPN-produced March Madness would look like. They'd probably dress it up like MNF or their NBA coverage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

image_22.png

You messed up the embed.

Personally, given that Turner's seemingly new "standard" look appears to be an iteration of the CBS Sports graphics, I actually prefer how they did theirs. That is just huge: I'd turn the Outs to dots and have the pitch speed show up over the count.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

[MEDIA=twitter]833153290225479681[/MEDIA]

Showtime's got new boxing graphics and they may or may not be a take on ideas from the CBS Sports package, but still looks separate.

CBS did use their normal presentation for previous Premier Boxing Champions broadcasts, but the big Saturday night ones (such as tonight) have been using a Showtime production instead.

[MEDIA=twitter]833153290225479681[/MEDIA]

Showtime's got new boxing graphics and they may or may not be a take on ideas from the CBS Sports package, but still looks

CBS did use their normal presentation for previous Premier Boxing Champions broadcasts, but the big Saturday night ones (such as tonight) have been using a Showtime production instead.

Those have been in use since a few weeks ago, I think.

Archived