CBS Sports debuts new logo

swillh2k2

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with everyone in that the new logo is okay, but too plain and O&O-ish.

I also think it's pretty dull, isn't as unique and doesn't have as much weight, or power as the previous logo.

And the previous logo was LEGENDARY.

I'll give them credit for updating the logo, but to me the last logo still feels as fresh and memorable as it was when it debuted 35 years ago.

Guest Former Member 207

The old CBS Sports logo was about as established and recognizable as the Eye logo itself...the new one will take a getting a little use to.

After 2+ years, they're debuting a new graphics package? What a waste.

That logo does look bland, and yes, kinda O&O-ish.

Sports graphics seem to only have a 3 year lifespan these days with the 3 networks in the Super Bowl rotation launching new looks during the season they carry it.

I like CBS' current look but it really didn't seem like it had much longevity to it. I would have gotten tired of it had it survived past this Super Bowl.

The graphics CBS debuted for Super Bowl XLVII were knockoffs of what ESPN was using at the time, I don't expect CBS to be too inventive with whatever they bring out for Super Bowl 50.

And I hate to say this, but geometric sans serifs have almost worn out their welcome with me.

Also, is there a chance that CBS/Turner will create a new package for March Madness? That package has been going on for SIX years.

Seeing as the current MM package is a based on/an influence of the TNT NBA and CBS NFL graphics, I would say yes. The former received a small update this year, and the latter is liking being overhauled, plus TBS got a new logo that wouldn't work in the current tourney graphics.

I'm probably one of the very few to say that the CBS Sports logo they've been using since 1981 was getting past its shelf life and it was time for a change. And remember: they debuted it while Brent Musburger and the late Pat Summerall were the top voices (and Pat O'Brien having already joined the party with Jim Nantz and Verne Lundquist to later follow).

But for 35 years, it served as the second longest-running logo for a network's news or sports division, right in between CBS News's and the Roone Arledge-era ABC News logo.

As far as the new CBS Sports logo is concerned...you can say it's the anti-WFXT and their new, cheapened logo.

I can't say I was ever a fan, and I think it should've been dumped years ago, but the new one is just so damn bland. The problem is, that by installing a logo with a "normal" font (Gotham or Gotham-like, in this case), they're likely going to build the whole graphics package around that font, and when they come up with a new look in 3-5 years, the logo will change with it. The graphics should be designed to connect with the brand, and not the other way around. Look at ESPN, the departing CBS Sports logo, or even ABC/ABC News. No designer would build a package around those logos' fonts, but instead design something to compliment it.

• 1 month later...

[MEDIA=twitter]693945855489933312[/MEDIA]

Now we have the CBS Sports Network and CBS Sports Radio versions

which are equally dull in my opinion. I was expecting that they would have just dropped the "CBS" text on those and had them as [Eye][ Sports Radio ] and [Eye][ Sports Network ]

which are equally dull in my opinion. I was expecting that they would have just dropped the "CBS" text on those and had them as [Eye][ Sports Radio ] and [Eye][ Sports Network ]

Just for comparison, NBCSN, is written that way with the peacock next to it.

Well, that didn't take long. Watching the Boomer and Carton simulcast, the new graphics are live on CBSSN right now. Looks like they're using DIN as the main font. And the ticker reminds me too much of FS1's old look. Parts of it look Sinclair-ish.

image.thumb.jpeg.b489aaa4310d39ebecfb0b2815961248.jpeg

image.thumb.jpg.e4221e2652701aeb8e888edb2e598068.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.bb6374e6c8681be6e13c4c5e9006b73c.jpg

Archived